“Tasting menu hits and misses”
Review of JoLe - CLOSED

JoLe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington St
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Friends and I ate here recently and all participated in the tasting menu (paired with wines). The wonderful thing about the tasting menu is that you decide what you want to eat for each course-it is not predetermined by the chef. The selections I made were all wonderful and they wine they paired with them was delicious! I can't speak for everyone at my table, though, since not everyone shared the same sentiment. Some of my friends received plates that weren't large enough to satisfy their appetites- some were not crazy about the wine they were paired with. I do think we all enjoyed the atmosphere and concept, there were just a few minor "misses".

Reviewed September 15, 2013

JoLe is trying very hard to live up to the reputation of some of the finer restaurants in the Napa Valley. The style is "farm to table" and very eclectic. There are two menu options. One can either select from the a la carte menu or choose a prix fixe option where you can still select items from the regular menu but smaller portions for a fixed price. There is also the option of adding the sommelier's wine pairings for an additional fee.

The food was prepared perfectly and the chef is obviously talented however, I found some of the flavor combinations edible but not something I would ever try and repeat. The wine pairings, to me at least were a disaster. This is one part of the meal I would not repeat.

Service was top notch and the price was very reasonable compared to what would pay further south in Yountville. I would definitely recommend JoLe to any adventurous foodie visiting Calistoga but suggest picking your own wine.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The restaurant was busy and we didn't have reservations. A seat at the bar beckoned. We thought long and hard about this and eventually agreed. We started with Eggplant Fritter followed by Flat Iron Steak and Halibut as our main meals. Desert was a Coconut Cream Pie. This meal was one of the best we've ever had and the desert was to die for. You get what you pay for and I would have sat in the kitchen for a meal like this!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

A fun and open place with a menu that includes interesting combinations. If you want an adventure in dining definitely give this place a try.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stopped by JoLe on a Thursday night after arriving in Calistoga earlier that day. The restaurant was fully booked but the staff made an effort to seat us at the bar. There was a short wait for the bar seats, but we passed the time by ordering drinks and waiting in the hotel lobby next door. We tried several small plates and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine and we thought everything was absolutely delicious. If you're in Calistoga, definitely check out JoLe.