“Not quite what I expected”
Review of Petrified Forest

Petrified Forest
Ranked #6 of 68 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Owner description: A number of huge redwoods in this forest point away from Mount St. Helena, which once erupted violently.
Escondido, California
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not quite what I expected”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I guess I expected more from this "experience" Stopped in to check it out, love rocks and sometimes its hard to pass up a rock store. My fiance and I were checking out the store, the employee here was super nice, after did a quick loop around the path for the petrified forest, it was nice, nice to actually see intact specimens, however there really was not a lot here, its nice for a quick little side trip if you are in the area maybe.

Visited February 2013

Knoxville, Tennessee
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Overpriced for what they offer”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have been to other petrified forests and this one is average. The entrance and gift shop bare is very minimal and bare.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do the guided tour!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Both my daughters (13 and 18) were fascinated by this. We took the 11 AM guided tour and the young man leading it was full of passion and knowledge. He loved what he was doing and it showed. He not only taught us about the petrified wood and how it was formed but also about the local trees and their importance in the area and how they have been used. I wish we could remember his name but he had a very pleasant English (possibly Scottish) accent. My whole family recommends this place.

1 Thank Steven K
Sydney, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Staff very friendly and happy to answer stupid questions - I didn't know there were two species of redwood trees.
Entry fee expensive for only about 45 minutes of fun.

1 Thank SleepingGypsyFrank
Bend, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Petrified Trees in California”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a nice "Mom and Pop" kind of attraction. We have always been fascinated by trees made of stone and thought they were all in Arizona or farther away. What a nice surprise to find so many of them, here, on our way home from the coast. This beautiful well maintained preserve was a delight to wander in at our own pace, to see and learn so much. We discovered that this oak forest had been in the family for many years. Instead of selling off all the precious and valuable fossils and land, they had held on to it. Today we are delighted that the public still has this access and I am happy to contribute to what little profit they need to maintain the educational atmosphere. I am grateful to the owners for making this available to me. The gift shop with its amazing specimens was a lot of fun to explore also.

Visited October 2013