“Interesting Experience”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This Napa Valley landmark soothes visitors through mud baths, steam rooms, massages and more. For 64 years and still family owned and managed, a visit to one of the few remaining family ventures is old school and good...We are real!
Reviewed September 9, 2013

So, just so you know you will have to be totally naked during the treatment so if that is a concern, then I would reconsider. I wanted to try something new and I have never had a mud bath. The place is clean and has old style which is kind of interesting nod to this place in its hay day. The treatment was great and fun. I was hoping to do this side by side with my husband but they have separate female and male spa areas probably for the reason mentioned at the beginning. We got the works. I wish it wasn't 100 degrees outside because the mud, bath and steam are hot. Recommend going when it is cooler outside. Also it is a good idea not to go wine tasting before. The alcohol in your body will definitely help you pass out and hurt yourself on the tile.
The gentleman at the front desk seemed to be discombobulated and wasn't very attentive. I am not sure if he was having a bad day or was overwhelmed with something but when we came in instead of looking crazed and exasperated he could have said, hello I will be with you in a moment or asked why we are here but he assumed I wanted information and gave me a pamplet and ran away. I figure we would be back and we were 20 minutes early for our treatments... no worries we were in a chill mood.
The tipping situation is a little weird. There was no option to place a tip when paying for the treatment. I had a few people help me but I had to write a name on the envelope. The man in the front told me only who my masseuse was but the helpful women who helped me into the mud and who gave me water and cool towels. I felt they should also be tipped but I was at a loss since I was only given one envelope. I hope that is cleared up so that future patrons have a better idea of how to tip appropriately.

3  Thank Isabella345

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went for "the works". It was really fun to sit neck-deep in mud, rinse off and get a massage. I can't recommend it enough and would definitely go back.

The atmosphere is laid-back and fun, a refreshing break from some places that take themselves too seriously. We were about 15 minutes late, and the staff graciously accommodated us.

I would recommend asking when you check in about the tip. My friend and I did not enquire before we paid. There was not room to write in a tip on the charge, and we did not bring cash.

1  Thank kate S
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Kate S,

Thank you for your kind review! I am happy that you enjoyed your visit with us and hope to see you again soon!

Warm best wishes,
Mark Wilkinson

P.S. Gratuities can be left on a credit cad for the staff...sorry for any confusion about that!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay! I had a mud bath, mineral bath and massage. Kathryn, my masseuse was incredible! Having been to a couple of other spas, this is the only spa we will go to in Calistoga from now on!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight at DWHS and of course had to do the mud ......"the works". I was totally apprehensive but after reading reviews and encouraged by the wife, I was willing. The mud is like nothing other! Imagine a hot steamy oatmeal bath, thick and lumpy....then a face mask and cucumbers over the eyes. Very different for me to say the least! Enrique was my attendant and he was great! After the mud came a shower (very important!), then a tub bath, steam room and a blanket wrap. I was already like Gumby and then had the most incredible massage with Nicole....one of the best hours of my life! :). It's a bathhouse...no pretension just good, actually great. I have been to five star places many times......Four Seasons Maui, Halekulani, Kahala, Beverly Hills Hotel, Hotel Bel Air, etc, etc..... and have done the spa things there for a lot more money. Best bang for the buck is Dr. Wilkinson's! Glitz? no...Quality .....yes and big time. Go there!

1  Thank Jake R
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and a group of her friends visited for a spa day for a bachelorette party and had a great experience. Clean, relaxing, and a care-free time! Mark Wilkinson and his staff were very helpful in making this a great relaxing day!