“Fantastic Easter Break”
Review of Rankin Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caliente
Rankin Ranch
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I took my daughters to Rankin Ranch last week, and had a wonderful experience. The owners are genuinely delightful people, and the employees took such good care of us. I am not a horse person, but I definitely enjoyed my stay. The girls loved petting and feeding the animals, and riding through the beautiful scenery. We also had fun meeting other familes, some from the town next to ours, and some from the other side of the globe. The kids were busy all the time. I did some hiking and just sat in the sun. This is a great family getaway spot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Julianne B

Reviewed December 1, 2012

If you can, spend a weekend at Rankin Ranch or a week if you can afford it. It is the perfect family vacation spot, especially for city dwellers in need of peace and quiet. My family and I have visited 4 times and hope to return again soon. If I am fortunate enough to have grandchildren one day, I will take them to Rankin Ranch as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Rankin Ranch is a very special place which we have been staying at for several years. The Rankin family is incredibly kind and caring, and the horseback riding is terrific, especially for the infrequent rider. This is old-fashioned fun (horseshoes, square dancing, catching frogs) and the food is family fare (steaks, turkey, burgers), but a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Every summer my granddaughter and I take a special trip together. This June 2012 we visited the Rankin Ranch and it was the best trip ever. I found the ranch by doing an Internet search and it was everything we had hoped for...and more. We chose this place mainly for the horseback riding but enjoyed the warm hospitality of the Rankin family and all the ranch had to offer. Kids especially love this place because every day there is a posted schedule of all the activities offered...making boats and then going down to the river for boat races or swim olympics in the pool or learning how to square dance or bingo night, and a wonderful hay wagon ride to the meadow for dinner and a rousing game of horseshoes....my granddaughter, age 10, enjoyed it all...even though she was the only girl there for most of our stay. We swam in the pool, took walks around the ranch, fed the farm animals every evening, played shuffleboard (making up our own rules because we didn't have a clue how to play), and, best of all, we went for a wonderful horseback ride twice a day. There are many trails on the Rankin's vast land (I was told they own over 40,000 acres) so each ride was unique. At night we would fall into bed in our rustic but extremely comfortable cabin happily tired from a day of fresh air, horses, delicious food, new friends and just being together having fun. It just doesn't get any better than that. I highly recommend the Rankin Ranch for a fabulous family vacation.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Thank you to the Rankin Family for a wonderful time. This was our first visit but definitely not our last! We stayed in April 2012 (2 adults/2 kids 6 & 8) and although we were not prepared for snow we had a great time. All of the activities were wonderful and it was so much fun to experience Square dancing. The food was great, my son loved the horseback riding and our daughter loved the children's program. Thank you again for a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: All of the activities are held near the main house if you don't want to walk each time request a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Yolanda S
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We have been coming to Rankin Ranch for 10+ years. It is a fabulous vacation or weekend getaway. The Rankins are a great family that welcome you wholeheartedly into their private heaven and family. Adults love it, kids love it and what is not to love...great accommodations, friendly staff, great food, amazing scenery, peace and quiet and wonderful horseback rides. I have recommended the ranch to tons of people and everyone loves it! I would say the ranch books up 80% annually with repeat guests. Most go the same time every year so it is like a giant family reunion and catch up time. Bring your own wine/beer or tasty beverage for happy hour nightly. If you do not love this adventure than you are just hard to please. We love the Rankins ...we booked 2 different times in 2012 ...so great you want to live there :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wailea4me
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Our family has visited Rankin Ranch (grandparents, parents, chuildren) for nine years straight. Not only that, but my husband used to vacation here as a child. I agree with everything that the other reviewers have said about friendliness, complete relaxation and natural beauty. The magic of this place is that the simpler things become fun. Suddenly, children are gloriously happy making little boats to sail on the creek, your teenager wants to play horseshoes with you, and you find yourself excited over a jugsaw puzzle.
Here are a few additional thoughts: Keep in mind that children have to be six years old to ride. The younger ones will still be busy and happy, but they may be envious of older siblings. Teens who haven't grown up visiting the ranch might find the pace too slow, and you don't see many couples without children. The food is tasty, as others have said, but don't expect gourmet; it is old fashioned, hearty fare. The cabins are clean and comfortable, and perhaps in need of updating...except that one of the many reasons that people love Rankin Ranch is that you can come back year after year, and it never changes.

Room Tip: Chimo cabin is newer and bigger, and has a great view, though a longer walk to meals and activities.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsGibbs

Been to Rankin Ranch? Share your experiences!