“Fabulous place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Calabasas
Las Vegas, Nevada, Usa
“Fabulous place to stay”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Conveniently located right off the highway, close to lots of restaurants and shopping. The hotel was very modern and comfortable. We stayed in a King which was very roomy had everything we needed. The staff was very good.

Room Tip: The hotel is energy conscious and provides bins for recycling, and gives people the opportunity to s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of old town calabasas which was in walking distance to a lot of great shops and restaurants. However, when we arrived in our room, it was never thoroughly checked over and there was Chinese food in the fridge that stunk it up as soon as we opened it. This should've been noticed and thrown out before us getting there. One of the days housekeeping never even came to the room. We were gone all day and came home to no clean towels and the bed how we left it. Also the room I prepaid for months ago was not available. We were upgraded and not charged which is great but feel like it is poor planning on their part.

1 Thank Sunnyshores01
Genarro M, General Manager at The Anza Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I am very sorry that we did not have your requested room type that you prepaid for. I do hope that the free upgrade that you received was enjoyed during the stay. Your discovery certainly should have been noticed before your arrival as you mentioned. We will use your discovery as a training tool in order to improve the awareness of our room attendants as well as the routines of our room inspectors. I hope you will be joining us at the Anza again soon so that we can get you into the room type of your choice.
San Francisco, California, Usa
Reviewed August 14, 2013

As most others have written, the boasting of a 6 Million Dollar Renovation is hard to swallow. Not that I don't like IKEA for some things, but it sounds like they spent 5.9 M at IKEA, and forgot two important things: carpet and shower doors. The carpet looks like it was resurrected from a 1940's theater in LA. And the avant-garde design of the shower (half glass that is stationary, and no door) is dumb. Water was everywhere. The reason for the poor sleep quality is the location right off the freeway, combined with unruly and trailer-trash guests in the next room did not bode well for a good night's sleep. Other than that, we had a nice stay.

Room Tip: Room away from the freeway if possible.
Old Bridge, New Jersey, Usa
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The room really was lovely. And cafe and lobby were great too. But some important details got left out of the recent upgrade.

The door to the parking lot did not lock. It opened with just a pull. That door gives on the pool and the elevator, giving anyone easy access to all the guest rooms. There is an electrical lock on the door, it was just not operational. And when I told the front desk they acted surprised. Just be honest. It was broken for the entire ten days we were there, I'm betting you knew about it.

Next we found used contact lenses on the bathroom counter, which suggests that the bathroom maybe wasn't that thoroughly cleaned.

And finally, there were a bunch of small details that make the difference between a place I want to stay on vacation and a place I'd only book for a nights sleep: none of the doors to n on-guest rooms on our floor (2nd) locked, so I had free access to all supplies and the AC/ electrical access closets; the safety latch on our door was half torn off; there were large obvious stains in the hallway carpet.

The the recent renovations are very nice, but they haven't gone far enough. This place risks slipping back into it's former life as a run down motel.

1 Thank TCC44
Thank you for your wonderful comments on the renovated room, café, and lobby area. The electrical lock you are referring to at the parking lot area works on a timer, during daylight hours there is no key card necessary to operate it. However if it was malfunctioning during your stay we do apologize. We do strive to maintain the highest level of cleanliness possible in all of our guest rooms and your discovery of the previous guest does not fit that criteria. All of the doors to our supply closets do function and if you found them to be in an unlocked status this was most certainly an oversight by our room attendants and will be quickly addressed. I am also happy to inform you that as one of the last stages of our renovation we will be replacing all of the carpet in the corridors and all of the guest room doors will be refurbished as well. Thank you again for all of your feedback and we hope to have the support of your future patronage at the Anza Hotel.
Phoenix, Arizona, Usa
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The remodel and rebranding of this property make it worthwhile. The rooms still showed wear & tear from the prior regime. The rooms were clean and the sheets and matteress' were new. The entry door did not close or latch properly and daily light showed through which was disconcerting. Bathroom was remodeled and modern, but not fully appreciated for family use. The new low flow toilet did not work as advertised.

2 Thank Js R
Thank you for choosing the Anza and taking the time to share your feedback with us. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the new brand and remodel of a rejuvenated property. We also take the cleanliness of our new brand very seriously so thanks for the positive comments. Our maintenance team has looked into the issue you described with your entry door and made the necessary adjustments to fix the problem. We have also checked all of the plumbing fixtures and equipment in the guest bath to ensure it is working and set to the manufacturer’s suggested settings and threshold’s.
San Francisco, California, Usa
Reviewed August 13, 2013

front office staff could be more professional and helpful--at least 2 staff kept me waiting while they discussed a guest who had recently come to the hotel; another front office desk skipped over me to help the customer behind me while I was waiting to check in...very rude. rooms nicely updated. beds are soft. rooms facing highway are noisy. could hear noise from room below and hallway.

Room Tip: get room not facing the freeway
1 Thank M. L
Thank you for the feedback on your recent check in experience at the Anza Hotel. We are sorry that you were skipped over by another guest during your check in. We will use your feedback as a discussion for improvement for the check in process. We are glad that you enjoyed the updated rooms and brand new beds. We have also recently readjusted all of our double pane windows that face the 101. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Calabasas area so that you can see what changes our front desk team has made to improve our check in process.
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed August 12, 2013

What a truly pleasant surprise!

We were visiting California from Colorado to get a little time near the ocean. We weren't up for staying close to the city. So, we looked to get close to Malibu -- as close as one can.

We stumbled - and I literally mean stumbled - across this gem! We got a very competitive rate by booking and paying online prior to arrival.

First, the staff were EXTREMELY accommodating. We noticed it first hand, but also viewed it when a gentleman who was carrying what I recognized to be a Chinese passport was trying to check-in. The staff were very patient, pleasant and attentive, despite the customer's very limited English (the evening of 8/8/13). Having been in a similar situation in prior business travel myself, I thought it was great. I really thought the team of Chris, Antoine, Dale [?], and Chelsea were great. I apologize as I wrote their names down in a draft message to myself and lost the message. So, I hope I recognized them correctly. They were incredible!

There is a very personable security guard that is there of a night to watch the parking lot and hotel -- great!!!

The rooms!! Greatly appointed in an Asian minimalist style, with a great idea for backlighting the bathroom mirror -- frosted glass around the perimeter of the mirror, which diffused the CFL lights nicely. Great idea. Appointed to JUST the right degree! And I LOVE the fact they had outlets coming out of everywhere for charging Kindles, Smartphones, etc. I would recommend a bathroom door that offers more restroom privacy, but that is my only (slightly) negative observation as the sliding door was in keeping with the motif of the hotel.

I loved the fresh carafes of water that were at the lobby, which alternatively had watermelon, melon, strawberry, cucumber...kept fresh, iced and inviting every time we came through the door.

I also loved the MAC/Windows compatible computers that were right in the lobby.

One more GREAT idea: If you decline housekeeping service for a multiple night stay, they honor your conservation with a $5 Anza gift card. GREAT idea!! I am not much of an environmentalist - in fact, I am not one at all - and it STILL made a hugely positive impact on me as a guest. GREAT IDEA!

If you stay in or around Calabasas, pick this gem, but just make sure you don't pick it when I need reservations there in the future -- as I want to stay there myself again.

1 Thank MJCLAXDEN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabasas
Good Nite Inn - Calabasas
#3 of 3 in Calabasas
Sheraton Agoura Hills Hotel
#3 of 3 in Agoura Hills
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 5 in Malibu

Been to The Anza Hotel? Share your experiences!