“anza hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Calabasas
San Francisco, California, Usa
“anza hotel”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

front office staff could be more professional and helpful--at least 2 staff kept me waiting while they discussed a guest who had recently come to the hotel; another front office desk skipped over me to help the customer behind me while I was waiting to check in...very rude. rooms nicely updated. beds are soft. rooms facing highway are noisy. could hear noise from room below and hallway.

Room Tip: get room not facing the freeway
1 Thank M. L
Genarro M, General Manager at The Anza Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent check in experience at the Anza Hotel. We are sorry that you were skipped over by another guest during your check in. We will use your feedback as a discussion for improvement for the check in process. We are glad that you enjoyed the updated rooms and brand new beds. We have also recently readjusted all of our double pane windows that face the 101. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Calabasas area so that you can see what changes our front desk team has made to improve our check in process.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed August 12, 2013

What a truly pleasant surprise!

We were visiting California from Colorado to get a little time near the ocean. We weren't up for staying close to the city. So, we looked to get close to Malibu -- as close as one can.

We stumbled - and I literally mean stumbled - across this gem! We got a very competitive rate by booking and paying online prior to arrival.

First, the staff were EXTREMELY accommodating. We noticed it first hand, but also viewed it when a gentleman who was carrying what I recognized to be a Chinese passport was trying to check-in. The staff were very patient, pleasant and attentive, despite the customer's very limited English (the evening of 8/8/13). Having been in a similar situation in prior business travel myself, I thought it was great. I really thought the team of Chris, Antoine, Dale [?], and Chelsea were great. I apologize as I wrote their names down in a draft message to myself and lost the message. So, I hope I recognized them correctly. They were incredible!

There is a very personable security guard that is there of a night to watch the parking lot and hotel -- great!!!

The rooms!! Greatly appointed in an Asian minimalist style, with a great idea for backlighting the bathroom mirror -- frosted glass around the perimeter of the mirror, which diffused the CFL lights nicely. Great idea. Appointed to JUST the right degree! And I LOVE the fact they had outlets coming out of everywhere for charging Kindles, Smartphones, etc. I would recommend a bathroom door that offers more restroom privacy, but that is my only (slightly) negative observation as the sliding door was in keeping with the motif of the hotel.

I loved the fresh carafes of water that were at the lobby, which alternatively had watermelon, melon, strawberry, cucumber...kept fresh, iced and inviting every time we came through the door.

I also loved the MAC/Windows compatible computers that were right in the lobby.

One more GREAT idea: If you decline housekeeping service for a multiple night stay, they honor your conservation with a $5 Anza gift card. GREAT idea!! I am not much of an environmentalist - in fact, I am not one at all - and it STILL made a hugely positive impact on me as a guest. GREAT IDEA!

If you stay in or around Calabasas, pick this gem, but just make sure you don't pick it when I need reservations there in the future -- as I want to stay there myself again.

1 Thank MJCLAXDEN
Atwater, California, Usa
Reviewed August 11, 2013

the hotel was very accommodating to my family, staff friendly ....security on property....we had the queen suite, was roomy and not confining ...refrigerator and microwave a plus...easy access to freeway and grocery store/shopping....we had a good stay...

Room Tip: we didn't have a tub in our room, which for us was fine..but those with smaller children might w...
Gas City, Indiana, Usa
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had paid the deposit for a room with a king bed and reserved it for 5 days (I could be wrong on the amount of days). When checking in the clerk told me she had given our room away as someone with a large party had gotten there first and she was afraid if she did not give them the room they would not stay. So, my opinion is that the next time I make and confirm my reservations and make the necessary down payment, it will not necessarily be with Anza.

The next thing that happened was the toilet stopped up during the night. No one had access to the plunger for the entire hotel let alone our room. I had to go down to the main floor in my night clothing to use the restroom. (we were on the 3rd floor).
We do believe in conservation and requested that our room not be cleaned nor the sheets changed daily. The maid told us we would get a $5 discount for each day they did not change the linen. We never received it when we checked out. We only had the sheets changed once while staying there,.
I found the personnel pleasant, the hotel clean but did not like the things that happened to us as customers. We stayed either 4 or 5 nights also. My daughter lives in Topanga Canyon and we have stayed here before when we visit her. I will rethink where we stay the next time. I was very upset to think that I made reservations, paid a deposit and my preference of our room was totally ignored.
Why make reservations if they are not given consideration and given to someone else?

Room Tip: I had paid the deposit for a room with a king bed and reserved it for 5 days (I could be wrong on th...
2 Thank jhermil
We are happy to hear that you found our staff pleasant and the hotel to be clean. However it is disappointing to hear that we did not live up to our half of your conservation efforts. I will reach out to you and ensure that we correct this issue. The fact that our overnight staff was not able to fix your plumbing issue is also upsetting to hear. We have already coached our overnight team on how to handle such situations in the future so that they can be immediately resolved. We have also re-evaluated the overnight tools and equipment they have access to in order to insure this does not happen again to any of our guest moving forward. This being said we hope that your will choose the Anza Hotel again so that you can experience what our staff is truly capable of.
Mission Viejo, California, Usa
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The front desk staff were so nice and helpful...they had info on all the local businesses and restaurants and printed directions to Universal studios. They even provided toothbrushes and band aids when we asked! Only thing I can think of that we would have enjoyed would be either a jacuzzi or steam room/ sauna. Our room was spacious and very nice.

Room Tip: The room was great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brittnau
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed there for only one night before our flight back home and it was perfect. Really comfortable room, we got an upgrade because all the rooms were taken so we enjoyed it very much. The furniture in thre lobby looks great. The bed was comfortable and the shower was huge:-), WiFi was ok. And we also liked the small fitness room. Sadly there is no breakfast included but coffeemaker, microwave and frigorater were there. Staff was really friendly.

Room Tip: The rooms that are not parallel to the freeway are more quiet i suppose but the windows are good so...
Fort Mcmurray
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at The Anza. The room was beautifully redone, and very clean and spacious. We were in a King Bedroom and the hotel itself was very nice. The customer service was very good, staff was knowledgable and helpful. We got breakfast to go from their little bistro and it was delicious! The area where the hotel is located is amazing!! Such a peaceful and pretty spot away from the noise and stress of LA but close enough to get to where you need to get to.

A few things that could be better...
1) We had some very noisy people above our room. They partied until after 2am! We let the front desk know at about midnight, but they woke us up again later that night. We would have appreciated a discount to our room or something to make up for the continued disturbance. I do know this is not the hotels fault though so don't let it sway you from staying here! The bed was still very comfortable and clean!
2) The shower was great but could do with a little bit more of a door! When using the shower water goes all over the bathroom floor and there is nothing you can do about it. Again, nothing big.
3) The move rental was SO expensive, $16 for a in room movie purchase. Yikes!

Overall I would stay here again if we ever came back to LA area. It was a great hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabasas
Good Nite Inn - Calabasas
#3 of 3 in Calabasas
Sheraton Agoura Hills Hotel
#3 of 3 in Agoura Hills
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 6 in Malibu

Been to The Anza Hotel? Share your experiences!