“Our one night get away!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Malibu Bella Vista

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calabasas
The Malibu Bella Vista
Ranked #1 of 2 Calabasas B&B and Inns
Long Beach, California
“Our one night get away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Michael, the Owner, is an amazing person ... It is an honor and privilege to meet such an awesome guy and great business man. Me and my bf are still in complete awe. Wow is all I can say… All our expectations were surpassed and I cannot wait to come back at Bella Vista again. We stayed at the Champagne Room which had a big fire place and cozy setting. We were greeted by his wonderful dogs name Molly and Sunny! they were very friendly and playful. Morning breakfast was excellent and delicious! The only part that was a slight inconvenient was taking a cab down to the restaurant (Moon Shadow). We did not know how far it would be and the difficulty of driving up on the hill, but now we do.
All in all, I WILL RECOMMEND staying at Malibu Bella Vista to all…see you on my next visit!

Jaymee and Max
Long Beach,90814

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Corona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I was working on a film shoot and had to work in Malibu the next day. Not wanting to drive back to Corona and then all the way to Malibu the next day, I found The Bella Vista. I called Michael, the owner, who was so low key and nice that I booked without seeing the place. I arrived after 9:30 pm and Michael greeted me, showed me the nice bathroom and lovely, quiet bedroom. I opened the window for the fragrant,cool night air, and background sounds of night birds and wind rustled leaves. Ahhh! Next morning Michael had fresh coffee, fruit, and cinnamon toast presented on beautiful china in the homey kitchen. We shared breakfast and conversation and he helped me on my way. The views from way atop the hill are spectacular-Bella Vista indeed! It's close to the beach and local restaurants yet feels 'away'. I will be back with my husband to stay in the larger suite. If you like a relaxed, quiet atmosphere, stay at The Malibu Bella Vista. It's very special!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We recently spent a rainy weekend in sunny CA trying to recover the the east coast winter. We stayed at the Bella Vista and enjoyed the stay . It is convenient to the beaches, saw some great surfing weather, the Getty villa, the Getty museum, Santa Monica, Ventura, LAX etc. The B&B has a great view, which we were able to appreciate on the last day. Michael, the inn keeper was great, knowledgeable about the area, the local wine, including his own. It was easy to come and go, we sat on the deck and had a wine and cheese dinner. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Snow on the east coast prolonged our stay and Michael was very gracious about extending the visit. Every B&B has its own ambience and this isn't one of the heritage houses with antiques and pot pouri in the room, but interesting architecture and a great Malibu Canyon setting. The only advice is to make sure to read the directions on how to find the driveway, it can be tricky on the dark and the GPS announces "You have arrived" and you wonder exactly where. We enjoyed our stay and would return on our next visit to LA.

Room Tip: A car is essential.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vernon A
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is what B&B is all about - you have an own room and an own bath and a breakfast often in someones home. IF you are lokking for a hotel - get a hotel. IF you are lokking for a B&B - go here. Mike welcomed us to his home up in the mountains above Malibu. A very social man that recommended a great restaurant for us. Then we had a nice beer together looking at the stars from His balcony. Even the drogs were friendly and welcoming

Room Tip: The ordinarie room has bath in the corridor. The more exclusive has an own adjacent to the room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Davis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

It's quiet, it's peaceful. Away from the L. A. craziness, but close enough that places are accessable. TripAdvisor lists it as a hotel - it's not. It's a traditional B&B in a family home. Michael is a wonderful host. I always go for the full breakfast because I like watching him cook for me - with my preferences. TripAdvisor lists it in Calabasas - it's not. It's in the middle of Malibu Canyon. If you want a long wide beach, go to the South Bay. This is not a tourist stay, nor a resort destination, but you can get to the tourist places. It's even convenient for a day trip to Santa Barbara. If you want to hike Santa Monica State park, this is perfect. I park at the bottom of the driveway and call for a ride up to the house. Mostly I like hiding out in the back yard.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Wake Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Since this was just a 2nd B&B experience I am not sure what (if anything) is considered 'usual'. The Malibu Bella Vista is a home in the Malibu Hills (Calabasas) with most of the living space on a single/split level because it is on the side of a hill. Michael was a gracious and accommodating host and was very informative. He even catered to our special requests for breakfast. The canyons of the Malibu Hills are narrow and secluded, making them a perfect location for stars wanting to avoid the constant view of the public, so the home is within 1 1/2 miles of several famous celebs and just up the driveway from a 5-star restaurant (Saddlepeak Lodge). While the driveway does provide some excitement even for experienced adventurers, the view is worth it. The whole of southern California is in a drought so the modest vineyard (it ain't Napa Valley) is trying to recover from deer grazing and lack of moisture. The beaches of Malibu and Santa Monica are between 15-45 minutes away and the attractions of Hollywood and Beverly Hills are 30-40 minutes. You can literally access some of the best hiking trails just up the hill from the house. My wife and I did not spend much time at the B&B because we were out most of our days. However, the room was cozy, the bed was comfortable and the fireplace provides a little bit of ambiance.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked to stay at this so-called 'B&B', on recommendation from the 'Eyewitness Travel' book for LA. I was a lone female traveller, so obviously safety was paramount, and here, I felt far from safe. As another reviewer pointed out, it is not a B&B, but somebody's home. Alarm bells had started to ring when neither the hotel where I stayed in Santa Monica, the taxi driver, a policeman, nor various shop owners had heard of it.
The travel booked claimed that it was close to the ocean, this was not true, it was a good drive away from the ocean, and situated deep in the malibu canyons - definitely not a place for a lone female (nor anybody else who doesn't want to feel like they are in a scene from a horror movie!). There was no signage whatsoever, thus it took a very long time to even find the place, and once I did, I was still not to feel relief. Upon arrival I was met by a middle-aged guy asking where I had been?!?! All I could see behind him were his dogs, no wife, no children, and no other guests - by this point I was terrified! I had asked my taxi driver to wait outside with my bags, while I went in to check my room; I saw no lock on the door, and he confirmed that, indeed, there was only him and myself there. It was at that point I made my way back to the door, and told him that I wasn't going to stay because I did not feel safe, and that I hope he understood my feelings on the situation. He was obviously quite offended/upset by what I had said, and said he had never had a problem before (not that I can believe that). I jumped back in the taxi, and he took me to Casa Malibu on the beach, where I felt perfectly happy and safe, and stayed for five days. If only I had looked on trip advisor before I booked Bella Vista..! Never ever again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Big-banana
MichaelBellaVista, Owner at The Malibu Bella Vista, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I believe this young woman had a last minute booking and probably didn't have a copy of my detailed directions to the Bella Vista. Without the directions it can be a challenge finding us especially at night. Some GPS units even go brain dead because we are located in the mountains.

When she arrived she appeared to be uncomfortable with the location and I was the only one home that night. My two daughters were out that evening. I can understand her concern and believe that she thought that the Bella Vista was a commercial operation. It is not. It is part of my ranch-style home and I have 2 rooms dedicated to the B&B. I am very new to Trip Advisor and had no idea this woman was so stressed out during her short visit. I'm so sorry for that.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabasas
Malibu
#1 of 3 in Calabasas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Good Nite Inn - Calabasas
#3 of 3 in Calabasas

Been to The Malibu Bella Vista? Share your experiences!