“Slow Service/Average, at best, food”
Review of Riviera - CLOSED

Riviera
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Burbank, California, Usa
“Slow Service/Average, at best, food”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Made reservations via phone for Friday night visit, and we were seated in back. Out of sight, out of mind; that must be the explanation for such slow service. For some reason, Wine Refrigerator was located behind the back tables, and every time a staff person accessed the wine room, us dining patrons were greeted by a blast of cold air.

My wife and I ordered one of their special appetizers, some uninspired italian concoction with boring pasta sauce and gooey cheese, which we returned. It took 23 minutes for this daily special, appetizer to arrive at our table, and we were not rewarded with something tasty. For entrees, I ordered daily special, pasta with shrimp and chicken, which was ok, but the "light cheese was actually quite rich/heavy. My wife's seafood branzini was quite good. Decor is a bit dated, with carpeting on floor in the entire restaurant..

Do yourself a favor and go to The Villa in Woodland Hills, Bleeker Street in Tarzana, or Toscana in Calabasas. All three offer better food, ambiance, service, for the same price range.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Keith M

Carmel, California
“worst service ever and food was cold”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked a 80th birthday Sunday brunch two weeks in advance and there was only one server that afternoon for the entire restaurant. The owner and manager hid in the kitchen while it took two houses for our food. Once our food was served they did not serve three of us. It might be good for dinner but do not go there for bunch!

• Visited January 2013
Sacramento, California
“Fun Wine Bar, Great People!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We are people people so when we find a bar or small restaurant where the staff is inviting and friendly, we feel like its a place to go back again and again. Unfortunately we don't live in the area but the bartenders were wonderful! We had a great date night thanks to good wine and great conversation!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank mrsejudd
Hidden Hills
“What a great 75th birthday”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

When we decided what to do for my 75th birthday, which was to drink some of my treasured wines, we needed a place with a private room to accomodate 17 people. We have eaten at Riviera several times over the years, but had never used the private room. Myself and my friend David met with Hilarie, who is in charge of banquets at Riviera. Together the three of us put together a menu that would support the wines I provided - 1937 Bordeaux's, 1937 Ports, as well as 1990 Bordeaux's such as Chateau Montrose, a Parker 100 point wine. The service provided by Hilarie and her staff was amazing. Everything was plated and served at the proper time and the pouring of the wines was "right on". The food was perfect - hand passed hors d'oeuvres, a salad, a risotto, and three choices for the main course. My wife remarked that the steak was one of the best she had ever had, my duck was superb, and the people who had salmon loved it. We brought in our own birthday cake from Susie Cakes and Hilarie and staff servied it beautifully as well as pouring the 1820 Madeira to accompany the cake. In all it was everything my 75th birthday dinner could have been thanks to Riviera and its staff of fine servers as well as Hilarie for overseeing the evening.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Russ B
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
“Was good, now Great with the new management change.”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have been many restaurants specializing in Italian cuisine but now I have a favorite. Two of us had dinner here and both left happy and stuffed to the gills as the portions are generous. We started off splitting the Calamari appetizer which was superb and then the two of us went for the Veal and the Salmon Dinners. Both (as we ate out of each others plate) were delicious. The Salmon was great and the Veal was the best I've ever had. I should also mention the service was great and the bread(s) with the dipping sauce before our appetizer were nice as well. Yes I'll come here again & again and I appreciate when a restaurant goes the distance to make the diner realize the difference between good food at home and great cuisine dining out!

• Visited August 2012