“Would avoid this hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Illovo Beach
Kolkata
“Would avoid this hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We are from India , and six of us booked at this hotel through Booking.com . It is about 60 km from the city centre and we had to book a shuttle taxi (cost Rand 4400 per taxi/ return trip) for each visit to City centre . We ended up paying for two taxis for the six of us .

We reached the hotel at just after ten at night. We had booked through booking.com but the receptionists told us that there was only one booking though our confirmation slip clearly showed three rooms/ 6 persons . After a very long wait we were given three rooms .The restaurant was closed and there was no room service at that hour. We had to drive about ten km for drinking water and food .

The rooms were mediocre , with no mini bar or amenities one normally expects . I had to call reception several times for electronic lock to function. I was not able to make a local call (I think they shut the PBX board at night) . The breakfast was also not upto the mark and it was not included in the room rent. For dinner , there was a buffet spread which we opted out of and instead ordered a la carte. We were told that a la carte was only available at the bar .

Overall it was not a very good experience and will avoid this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

my wife and i stayed here for a one night stop over. we stayed in suit. the staff was awesome, very friendly. the general manager, Ashlin, went the extra mile to make our stay very pleasant. a great choice if you are looking to check into the south coast. breakfast consisted a very large selection

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

From arrival the staff were very friendly and helpfull. Room and bedding crisp and clean. Beautifull seaview from room. A small barfridge could be added to the room. Buffet breafast a bit expensive. A guard is patroling the walkway going down to the beach but your safety can still be a problem. Shops and other restaurants nearby.

• Stayed August 2011
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

The hotel overlooking the sea is well situated. The rooms afford a good view of the sea and the railway line in between. From the dining area one has a view of the swimming pool and the kiddies play area. The rooms are adequately furnished. However, there was no hot water coming out of the shower. There was no time to call maintenance as I had to make my way to breakfast and to the conference. It is an ideal destination for families with little children, especially if they have cycles to ride. Older kids would be bored. Mature couples may find it relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up afford a better view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Durban
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

There are good and bad things about this hotel. I will list them separately.

BAD
(1) I complained 3 times about the television in my room. The picture had lines across it on all channels, some channels were much worse than others. My partner says its a sign of a problem with the installation - electrical interference affecting the cabling. People did come to look at it, but nothing they did actually removed the problem. Eventually I gave up complaining.
(2) The carpet in my room had several stains on it (have photos)
(3) Several tiles in the bathroom were cracked (have photos)
(4) Mould in the bathroom (have photos)
(5) Dirty window in my room (slightly spoiled the nice view for me)
(6) Musty smell in the corridor and signs of water damage (have photos)
(7) Musty smell in the chest of drawers
(8) While we were fetching our dessert at the buffet supper the first night, our table was prematurely completely cleared, including my unfinished Appletizer. That and the cost meant we didn't go back for dinner the next night.
(10) The shark nets have been removed from the beach. The lifesavers don't know when they will be brought back again. Since safe bathing was a reason for choosing this hotel, this was quite dissapointing.
(11) There is litter alongside the wooden walkway to the beach.
(12) The change rooms next to the pool smell strongly of urine
(13) There is an unpleasant stagnant smell coming from water dripping from the gutters on the games room building.
(14) A pocket-pack of tissues in the bathroom room instead of the expected box of tissues
(15) Soap scum on the back of the bath mixer.
(16) The shower curtain on the bath often stuck to me while I was showering. A glass shower door may well be a better idea.

GOOD
(1) Staff was very friendly
(2) The linen on the bed and the towels were very clean.
(3) Housekeeping promptly replaced the down-filled pillows with non-down ones, once they understood what it was I was talking about.
(4) The breakfast buffet selection is good.
(5) The mutton curry at the dinner buffet is excellent
(6) Nice view from my sea-facing king room on the third floor- could sit in bed and see the sea.
(7) The nightly chocolates by the bed were a nice touch

So, in summary, my weekend trip at the end of January 2012 was dissapointing. It wasn't terrible, but I don't think I'd go again to this hotel, unless they did some thorough refurbishment, upped their maintenance game and did more staff training.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Andrea F
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

We had a wonderful 4 night stay at this hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our room faced the sea and also the railway line. The room lacked for nothing, comfortable bed, nice sized desk from which to work. That part of the coast has a rialway line which runs in front of the hotel and the sea. The trains were not disturbing. What a beautiful beach, which is accessed by a bridge from the hotel grounds over the rail track. We had no meals at the hotel as we wanted to explore both the South and the North Coast of Natal and ate at various coffee shops and restaurants which abound in that part of the world. We would love to pay a visit in the not to distant future.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor room for a better view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ayr77
Durban
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

Staff are friendly and kind. Service was to the tee. Rooms are beautiful. We had a sea view. A very peaceful place to go as a couple. I went for my honeymoon and I simply loved the place. It was just want I wanted. The food is divine. I loved the omelette it was great. You can even go as families as well. There is a pool, putt putt and lots of games to keep the kids entertained.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
The View Boutique Hotel & Spa
305 Guest House
305 Guest House
#1 of 25 in Amanzimtoti

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Karridene Beach? Share your experiences!