“One Of The Better Motel 6's”

Vagabond Inn Buttonwillow North I-5
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Buttonwillow
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just to be perfectly clear, I am reviewing Motel 6 NORTH in Buttonwillow, the classic-looking Motel 6 toward the far end of Tracy Avenue, on the right side as you approach from the freeway. This is not only a nice hotel, but at $31 per night, a really good value. The room was spotlessly clean, tub in the bathroom, larger than typical Motel 6 rooms, carpeted (no tacky vinyl flooring that Motel 6 is installing in most of their properties), the windows were well-insulated from freeway noise and the cold (no drafts), there was central heat and AC (making it almost noiseless), and everyone at the desk was friendly and eager to please. I did my laundry at the hotel in the morning, had a problem with the detergent dispenser, and the lady at the desk immediately assisted.
This hotel is not only an extremely good value, but a truly clean, well-managed, and comfortable place to spend the night. Highly recommend it and would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank GroupLeaderSJHS
There are newer reviews for Vagabond Inn Buttonwillow North I-5

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Rooms are just right and clean.....for a one night stay going back home was good. Staff was friendly and very polite. I really had a good sleep and will stop another time when going back to long beach.........!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rob b
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Very nice staff, but that doesn't make up for the foul smelling rooms, very noisy from highway dirty uncomfortable bed (felt like a box spring) and very stained. I used to stay here many years ago and it was a cheap good place to sleep on our way to LA. Well not any more. We had a line of cars backed in, right in front of the 3 rooms we rented. In the morning they started their very loud engines and warmed them up for 10 min (which is very inconsiderate at 6am) however I don't blame the hotel for that, but I do blame the hotel for the fact that our windows wouldn't close and we all had rooms full of exhaust fumes. Also you can't even wash your face and hands in the water, it leaves you all slimy feeling. We left 6 hours after we arrived and rented another room down the street. My daughter and her friend were greeted with a roach right when they walked in.

Room Tip: it really doesn't matter, we were on the backside and the highway was still very loud. Windows d...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Vagabond Inn Buttonwillow North I-5, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear KerryD,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.We sincerely apologize for the noise and maintenance issues you encountered during your recent stay. These conditions are note consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. We encourage your contact our guest relations department to report your experience so may serve you better in the future: 1-800-557-3435.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is one of two Motel 6 locations at the Buttonwillow offramp, along the 5 freeway. Haven't yet tried the newer location, across the street. This location is the older of the two and is typical Motel 6 through-and-through. I've stayed here more times than I care to mention, as my Dad participates in vintage racing events at nearby Buttonwillow Raceway Park. This visit was for one night, although I usually stay 2 nights per visit. Rooms are mostly clean (always some bugs, as it is in the middle of San Joaquin Valley farmland) and basic. Beds are comfy enough for a night or two. Everything works as it should. You can't expect much from a Motel 6, but for what they offer, this location is perfectly adequate. There is a good deal of noise from semi-trucks on the highway, but that's to be expected at an offramp location like this. This older Motel 6 location is a bit further from the highway than the newer one and, from what I understand, is a bit quieter at night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We viewed rooms in both the Motel 6's in town, and decided that the one at 20638 was a better choice for us. The two hotels are almost adjacent, but the newer one is the first one you come to, after the exit and a left turn, on the left side of Tracey Avenue. More people were staying at the newer one, and it was bustling with activity. The reception was very friendly and we looked at a room, which was "upgraded" as far as this chain goes, and quite nice. The problem was the number of people, the beds, and the proximity of the freeway. The next Motel 6 is a block further on Tracey, and on the right side. It is older, many fewer rooms were occupied (which meant no adjacent or upstairs noise), but still the same size rooms and ammenities (very minimal) and attention to cleanliness details. I checked out the beds in both motels, and the ones in 20636 were definitely firmer and more to our taste. We had two comfortable beds, a very quiet location (No freeway noise at all), and a good night's sleep. We do not normally choose a Motel 6, but we had been on the road 11 hours, and weren't sure what was ahead of us on I-5. There is an odor of cattle in the entire area (but not noticeable in the rooms with the air/fan on), which can be offensive. We certainly got our money's worth ($38.18, senior rate including tax). We headed out earlier than we usually do (no breakfast or coffee offered) and got our coffee at the nearby Starbuck's. We ate dinner at the recommended Willow Ranch, and it was delicious, with a friendly family atmosphere.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back unit were further from the highway noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived at Buttonwillow Ca. After a long day ride, and picked the motel 6 for the consistency of a chain hotel and the pool. We were given a room, and could. To get wifi. When I went down to the office, the owner happened to be there and took my device from me saying it must be my settings, then gave it back saying it was working. We went back to the room and no wifi, so we decided put laundry on, sit by the pool, and check emails etc.. When we stepped into the pool, we slipped on the slime and fell. We immediately had to go and shower.

Room Tip: Check the amenities before paying
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Close to Interstate 5, this is a good place to stay when you are getting close to the LA area ... or just leaving it and getting to tired to go on .... :) just a good place to have a rest and relax, they have a pool, there are places nearby to get food and to get gas ... pretty close to Bakersfield if you like some shopping, the staff is friendly, the room was clean enough .... some of the places like these could use a re-do .. tv was old .....

Room Tip: Just stay here if you are to tired to go further ... :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttonwillow
Best Western Heritage Inn
Red Roof Inn Bakersfield
#13 of 63 in Bakersfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Bakersfield North
Best Western Plus Wasco Inn & Suites

Been to Vagabond Inn Buttonwillow North I-5? Share your experiences!