“Charming Chapel Conversion”
other traveler has booked this property
The 'Protestant Hall' built in 1888 preserving it's original exterior with a modern refurbishment.
Modern bathroom with double shower. Comfy king size bed, free standing bath with original hall features retained.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Modern bathroom with double shower.
Comfy king size bed, free standing bath with original hall features retained.
Free standing bath on part of the original stage.
Rear of 1888 with decking
1888 kitchen
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Melbourne, Australia
“Charming Chapel Conversion”
Reviewed January 9, 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

This is a gorgeous spot for a mini break. The conversion has been sensitively executed and blends modern amenities with period features. The outside area is lovely and also has a small covered part to provide some shade or shelter when using the BBQ. The kitchen is well equipped if a little cosy. Breakfast provisions are delicious and plentiful. Bed, sofa and reclining chairs are all very comfy. Towels are fluffy and small touches like the bath salts for the great tub were very welcome.

Whilst it's aimed for couples (large comfy bed) there is room to put a cot or a small bed if a small family wishes to stay and I believe Jill offers this. Speaking of Jill, she is responsive and helpful so communications before and during our stay was good.

Location wise, we were able to walk to Ciavarella Oxley Estate in ten minutes and then another 15 or so and we were at Sam Miranda before the 15 - 20 minute walk back. John Gehrig is close to walk to too and the King River Cafe is down the road for dinner. Plenty of other options if you choose to drive in Milawa and beyond. We were going to hire bikes from Oxley Pantry at the end of the road but we felt it was too hot for too unfit, middle aged folk to be cycling!

Things to note about the property include that there is no wifi and mobile reception is a bit patchy across the King Valley. The no wifi was ok for us for the weekend but nowadays, I know it's important to a lot of people.

Although the kitchen is well equipped, the frying pan provided is a touch too big for the stove top and it rests on the control dials melting them so just be careful with that. My husband took the pan off and turned the dial to turn the ring off but ended up burning his fingers.

There are no blinds on the windows. I understand why because they are beautiful original shaped and to get blinds to fit would not aesthetically work. Eye masks are provided on the bedside tables to get round the light coming in. But the other issue in the warm weather we had is that little bugs (non biting) could get into the room once it got dark and the internal lights were still on attracted to the light but also the bright white bath tub, towels and bed linen. I told Jill after the first night and she organised a clean up whilst we were out the next day and advised us to keep switch on external lights and keep internal lights to a minimum for our second night. That seemed to help but if bugs annoy you, probably better to stay in the Winter.

I actually think it's probably better to stay here in Winter or cooler weather. There's a lovely fireplace which we didn't use as it was too hot for us. Also there's no aircon and whilst the ceiling fans are pretty good, we stayed when it was over 30 degrees and I'm not good with heat. It wasn't swelteringly bad as I think the thick stone walls help keep the building cool ish but I'm someone that likes cooler temperatures and only wear a Winter coat maybe 2 weeks in the year so it just bordered on being slightly uncomfortable for me. I think for most people it would have been manageable.

I really liked the King Valley and would happily return and stay here probably in the cooler months though to take advantage of the fireplace.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Management Response
Jan 28, 2017
Thank you for your review!
We have now installed a split system air conditioning unit.

Would be lovely to see you again in Winter.

Kind Regards Jill
Powinc
Melbourne
“Wow 1888”
Reviewed June 9, 2016 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

Wow, where do I start? Jill and Mike’s renovation of an 1888 church hall is spectacular in every way. From the vaulted ceiling to the double shower. From the Sheridan sheets and towels to the tasty breakfast hamper. The old church hall just oozes character and class.

This is definitely your venue for a romantic getaway or that special anniversary. Plus it’s only a short stroll to the King River Café for a lovely gourmet dinner.

We could have stayed there a week. Well . . . my partner could have. Especially with Sam Miranda and Brown Bros. just around the corner.

This place has it all, even its own internal red sunset each night. Don’t miss it

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing