How this place receives 4 or 5 star reviews is very questionable.. or my family got stuck in the worst room of the motel.
First - the good - the lady that checked me in was very warm and welcoming. She brought her infant son out and was so proud of the cute little guy. She seemed sincere and very friendly. If it wasn't for her warmth and friendliness, I would have requested my money back and driven somewhere else... maybe Red Bluff.
Second - the bad - and there was lots of it. To begin with, I was even supposed to stay in this motel. I had a confirmed reservation at the Burney Motel on the other side of town. Through a discrepancy on their end, they double booked the room and called me while I was on vacation to apologize and said he reserved a room for me at the Sleep Hollow Lodge. Go figure. The place was beyond a pit. We travel about 40 nights a year, and this was the worst place we have ever gotten ourselves into. (And I truly don't think I even have very high standards.) When I first went into the room, my first reaction was "quaint." Quaint was soon replaced by repulsive. The carpet was filthy and sticky. It was a hot day (upper 90s) and the air conditioner didn't even cool the room down to the mid 80s. There was an electrical extension cord gizmo dangling down across the wall with the frig and microwave and lamps plugged into it. It looked like some weird contraption from a college dorm room. The bathroom : Yikes! The towels (although I assume they were laundered) were stained yellow and brown. Ever hear of bleach? My wife and daughter wouldn't even use them and instead used our own beach towels we had with us. Another reviewer referred to the shower as a "cement coffin." That's the perfect description, although I might suggest "moldy cement coffin." Imagine a cement box with a leaky shower head surrounded by moldy walls, and all very dark inside of it. It was the oddest and scariest thing I've ever stood in. I'm 6'2" and couldn't even stand upright in it. There was a used toothbrush left above the sink and a used razor left by the window. The toilet had one of those nifty paper strips across it signifying "freshly cleaned." Huh. I guess they missed all of the diarrhea splatter underneath the seat when it was cleaned. As of 8 pm on July 4th, we were the only customers in the place. I guess that tells you something. (Two more unlucky customers were there when we left.) The defining moment of how bad it was..... my teenage daughter who wants nothing more than to lay in bed all morning... was packed and ready to go by 6:25 am. We were on the road by 6:30. That was probably a record for us.