“Not Bad for Overnight Stay”

Vagabond Inn Executive SFO Airport
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
Merced, California
“Not Bad for Overnight Stay”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Our daughter dropped us off here for our early morning flight as I didn't want her to have to battle the commuter traffic. My first impressions were good. The front desk was friendly and we got checked in easily. The room was a little small but the vanity area had a long counter which is great when a couple must share the space. The room looked clean and the carpeting appeared fairly new with no spots or stains. It's right next door to an Elephant Bar if you are without transportation. My one complaint with the bedding were the pillows, one seemed to be stuffed with pieces of foam and the other was lumpy and hard. With the more than firm bed and awful pillows, I had a hard time getting to sleep. Staying asleep is another matter. The walls are very thin so you may hear your neighbors in their rooms and/or walking by and socializing. There is also traffic noise from the nearby freeway and some noise from the planes coming in to land (the airport is very close). The shower was easy to operate with plenty of hot water but the towels very tired. The shuttle picked us up before the breakfast started at 6:00 am so I didn't get a chance to sample. Honestly, I would consider staying here again but I would look first for other options.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room away from the freeway but you'll still have noise from the nearby airpo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lessalt
mburlingame, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive SFO Airport, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate all the feedback. We apologize for our pillows not being so comfortable. We have begun the process of replacing most pillows in our rooms.

Eli Jimenez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Burlingame
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Staff was very friendly,, the room was clean and fresh. A good continental breakfast was offered and fresh cookies and drinks were available all day :) Location was very close to the airport with free shuttle bus. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Christy H
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hotel / motel is on the courtesy pick-up coach route for the airport. We had a ground floor room with a comfortable bed and all the usual facilities. There was a good choice of food for breakfast. For plane spotters there is a great view of the planes landing as they come in over the water, the downside being a lot of noise and no extra sound proofing in the room.
A member of staff on the night reception desk went out of his way to help us with a difficulty we had over a flight booking.

Room Tip: If you want to look at the planes, ask for a bay view
2 Thank Ann B
Winters, California, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed at this property while I was attending a conference next door at the Marriott. Hoped to stay at the Marriott, but it was booked up.

The VIESFOA is a bit older and I was worried when I read some of the negative reviews, but it was just fine. Friendly staff, clean, decent bedding and bed, nothing to complain about.

I had one of the rooms on the bay side which abuts a walking path and looks out towards the runway at SFO. The noise was not a bother at all and it was fun to watch the lines of planes landing and the people walking by.

If you were a paranoid person though, I would suggest getting a 2nd floor room if you are on the bayside as the public foot path is just a few feet away from the slider to your room...not that I saw any unsavory types in my 3 days there, but some people would not be comfortable with others so close. You can see in the photos I've attached, the wall out the window is on the other side of the path, so the path is close, between the bushes and the wall..

The breakfast was the usual motel thing, cereals, yogurt, fruit and do it yourself waffles.

Plenty of parking, close to the airport, free shuttle...

Not a vacation spot, but certainly fine for a night or two on business.

Oh yea, in its favor also, free wifi! It was $10 a night in the Marriott!

Room Tip: Second floor on the Bay View side.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave A
mburlingame, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive SFO Airport, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate all the feedback. We are glad you were satisfied with your short stay with us while you were in town for a conference.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Close to airport it was good for our early morning flight.Very much in need of updating we found it to be very rundown and not very clean.Staff was friendly but no one was available to help with our luggage to our room.We had 3 large bags and 2 carry on so we had to make two trips to get it up to our room.There are better hotels in the area next time we will choice another.

1 Thank Anastasia D
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review. We are glad you were satisfied with the location and our friendly staff. Our property is planning on finishing up the rest of our renovations soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I needed to do a few things near SFO airport that's why I chose this hotel/ motel.

Reasonable price with free breakfast and free shuttle bus to/ from SFO every 30 mins. Elephant Bar is just next to this hotel.

I stayed there during early spring so the temperature was still a bit low. Couldn't adjust the room temperature because the equipment was a bit outdated. So, it's pretty cold inside the room --and my room was facing the bay/ parking lot.

There's a mini fridge and coffee maker inside the room. Iron and iron board were also provided.
There's a wide range of TV channels that I could choose from.

The only thing that I was not aware of (when I first arrived there) was that it's a motel type. So, all rooms were exposed to the public. Those in the parking area and those from Marriott hotel might be able to see me going in and out the room.

Suggestion: may need housekeeping staff who can speak English (one day I asked for clean towels; I had to speak slow(er) so the old lady could understand).

Overall, it's a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
mburlingame, Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive SFO Airport, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
We appreciate all your feedback. We are glad your overall stay was satisfactory.

Ceres, California
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Great convenient place near SFO. Clean & comfortable room. Nothing fancy but exceeded our expectations for a small hotel. Reservations were a snap and upon arriving, the staff were friendly and welcoming. This hotel is near a couple of restaurants; we walked right next door to the Elephant Bar and were able to get a table with about a 5 min wait. Our room was on the 2nd floor and we had a small balcony. My husband loved being out on it to watch the incoming planes landing.they offer complimentary meal in the morning, but our flight was an early one, so we were not able to enjoy or comment on it. You won't go wrong with staying here for the night or making it base camp for exploring the bay area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, hopefully next time you are in the area, you can try our hot breakfast.

Eli Jimenez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South
The Westin San Francisco Airport

Been to Vagabond Inn Executive SFO Airport? Share your experiences!