“Excellent Hotel”

San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I stayed here for six nights in February, as part of a large group.
My room (on 9th floor) had great views over the bay and was very clean and comfortable.
The only downside to my room was that there wasn't a safe within the room, although
there are safe deposit facilities at Reception.
This is a very busy hotel, being so close to the Airport, with the free shuttle buses coming and going every few minutes. On our first morning there, we watched (from the garden area of the hotel) Airforce1 take off and take President Obama to his next location.
Food and service is excellent at this hotel , there is also a gym and pool (which I didn't have time to use).
Thanks to Wendy Hunter the Events Manager for organising my stay and our party.
Thanks to all the staff in general - as this must be one of the friendliest hotels that I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Gorcat
Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed March 9, 2011

I had a great visit at this hotel. My room was very comfortable and had a view of the planes flying out of the clouds or night sky and gliding down toward the airport -- very little noise, just the beautiful visual image. Room service meals were hot and delicious. The staff went out of their way to help me the moment I appeared even slightly uncertain of where to go or how to proceed: this includes the desk staff, the bellman staff, and the room waiters. Unfortunately, there was no simple place for lunch either in the hotel or nearby that I was aware of; the Starbucks on premises did not serve sandwiches and the motel shop did not sell any food with significant protein content (ice cream, yes; yogurt, no). I ended up having big breakfasts and dinners and snack lunches, but many of my colleagues were disappointed that there was no facility for a quick inexpensive noon meal. There is free Internet in the lobby, but the business center provides only 10 minutes of free Internet, for which you have to enter your credit card information. The hotel shuttle takes one to the BART station at the airport, from which you can go anywhere in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Best part about this hotel is the view. It's along a waterfront with a recreation trail, and you can see one of the SFO runways across the water. Beautiful lounge in the lobby with glass windows overlooking the water & runway. Even though I was wiped from traveling I had to go and explore after checking in.

Room seemed very new, and the bed was very comfortable. You have to pay for Internet access ($13) but it's wireless. There was some sort of gadget attached to the TV to play media that way, didn't try it though. Everything was super clean.

Starbucks in the lobby, and I think there's a Hertz on site somewhere too, but I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

There's a shuttle to the airport 24 hours, and it runs every 10-15 minutes depending on time of day.

If I have to pick a worst part about this hotel I guess I'd say the location, just because it's not a great base if you're exploring San Francisco (I recommend staying downtown for that). But as an airport hotel it's very convenient. Burlingame is a nice little town too, it has the Pez museum and great restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We spent one night at the Marriott Waterfront on our way home from vacation. I was traveling with friends, and a dog, and some of us were flying out of SFO, so we wanted a place near the airport. We happened on this Marriott on line and it fit the bill - pet friendly, indoor pool, bar on site. I was expecting just okay. What I got was excellent customer service, a beautiful view, and a decent martini.

I like Marriott's when I'm on the road - they're consistent and provide good customer service. The staff here went the extra mile - from the bell hop who let me use his computer to check in to my flight (because the lobby kiosks kept crashing), to the vale who scheduled a car for my friend to OAK, to the wait staff in the lobby bar who took extra good care of us, it was just a win win night.

Yes, the food is kind of pricy. But not over the norm for a big hotel on the water. And yes, there's an airport nearby, so the neighborhood is...well, it's an airport! But the rooms were quiet, the pool and hot tub were clean, the gym equipment was good, and the martinis were dry.

I'd stay there again any time I was flying out of SFO.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Good for business travel but make sure you ask for a room where there are no families or pets. This place does attract families and I noticed a man walking out of his room with a dog so I assume it pet friendly. Staff was excellent and being on the water was really nice.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed December 21, 2010

This Marriott is similar in quality to other full service Marriott hotels. It is very close to SFO and has airport transportation, which is why I almost always stay here before a morning flight home. However, the service I received on this trip was outstanding - with one small exception.

I arrived to find that I did not have a reservation. What happened is that I had printed the reservation page from the Marriott web site right BEFORE I confirmed my reservation, and had never confirmed the reservation. I was able to get a room, and the desk clerk gave me the rate on the page I printed from the Marriott web site, even though it was lower than the best rate she had available at the time I checked in.

I was also able to eat dinner in the restaurant, and order items from the lounge menu. This should always be possible because the hotel has only one kitchen, but now all hotels are so flexible.

Also on the plus side, the Internet service is free for Marriott Gold and Platinum members.

On the down side, I found that I could not print a boarding pass I had stored in PDF format on a USB stick. The hotel does have a business center. They charge all guests for using the center, which is quite unusual, but only after the first 10 minutes. So, after giving the system my credit card number I discovered that their computers do not have Adobe or any other application that can print PDFs. This is amazing, especially because all the lower cost Marriott brands have computers, with Adobe Reader and a printer, available to guests at no charge. So I went to the front desk, and the desk clerk did agree to print my boarding pass, but his printer was in dire need of maintenance and the pages came out covered with extra black toner.

In fairness to the hotel, they do have machines in their lobby that are designed to print boarding passes at no charge. However, these connect to the airlines reservation systems and require your confirmation number or frequent flier number, both of which were still in my room, since I had come down only with the USB memory stick expecting to find a computer and printer.

The other issue, albeit minor, is that the bus that takes guests to the airport is far too small and not designed for the large bags that people often travel with. And the bus first goes to a nearby Hyatt that is further away from the airport than the Marriott, before going to the airport.

But, overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I've stayed here 6 or 7 times this year and each time I was impressed by the service that I received. The staff are willing to go out of their way to help you in any way they can.
Restaurants are above average with great service.
For business travelers, I highly recommend the airport marriott.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport (SFO) - Waterfront

Been to San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront? Share your experiences!