“disapointing”

San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 16, 2010

we stayed in there for one night. The room was kind of small and very smelly (the reason for that is you can not open the window in the room so if you take a shower expect the room to get very stuffy). The restaurant of the hotel is quite good. Staff is friendly

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed August 13, 2010

One doesn't expect an "airport hotel" along airport hotel row to be this lovely.  This is our second time staying just one night before an early flight out and we were not disappointed.  It is so easy to drop the car off at SFO, take the tram back to the airport, and catch the shuttle to this hotel.  We were greeted warmly by bellman, a greeter, and the check in staff.  The rooms are big, clean, quiet, plenty of towels and coffee in the room.  We ate off property but enjoyed excellent drinks at the large bar in the lobby.  The hotel is located on the bay and you have a water view to the city and can watch the planes take off and land while sitting in the comfortable lobby/bar areas. There are 3 kiosks to print your boarding pass as well.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Beautiful property, ideal location right next to SFO. Nice enough rooms and attentive staff, but...

As a Marriott Rewards Gold member I was looking forward to my usual upgrade to the Concierge level. But it's closed on weekends. What? This is a 24 hour hotel for people flying around the world 24 x 7. And they close the concierge level on the weekend?

Worse yet, they offered no coupon for breakfast to compensate. Buffet for three was $75. The snacks that were available at night were outrageous... $3.50 for Oreos. Park your car and it's $20.

They have a captive audience. Nothing else within walking distance, so they gouge on price for everything. Shame on them. Next time I'll go to the Hyatt!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Cameron06820
Reviewed August 9, 2010

As an elite member, and pre-arranged for a late check-in which typically means I would meet a concierge in the lobby to get my key. Traffic delayed my arrival until 10:30PM, 30 minutes after that elite service is allowed, so I had to wait in line to check in.... for over a half-hour (strike 1). My elite arrival gift of a half bottle of time with cheese & crackers was going to go to waste as I had a 7AM flight out - so I took the 2 sodas and ice cream. Over 30 minutes passed before my 2 plastic bottles of soda arrived - warm, with no glasses or ice (strike 2), so down to the vending area I stroll. My room on the elite-level 12th floor faced the airport, so instead of a view of the bay I say and listened to planes all night, not to mention a non-stop noise that sounded like a cross between a jackhammer and a radio alarm - perhaps the roof-top air conditioning system? Then the clincher - it seems this location automatically, without informing customers who are paying for the room via reward points, charges a $50 fee at check-in for 'pending incidentals' - to be refunded 2 or 3 days after check-out. I'm not sure if that is even legal and may really mess up someone who has a high balance/limit ratio on their card! Strike 3 in my mind! With dozens of hotels in the airport region, I'll stay elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FinFanAtl
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This hotel has a beautiful lobby and nice rooms that are exceptionally quiet. However, be prepared to pay for ALL extras at this Marriott - parking, internet connection, etc. Food prices are also high with no mid-range food available. (There is a Starbucks in the lobby, but it doesn't carry sandwiches or other lunch items and closes at 4pm each day.)
Ordered a taxi the night before so I could be at a sales training on time. When I checked with the lobby staff in the morning they had my name and the date, but no time written down for the taxi (Hmmm - wouldn't that be a key piece of information yo would question if you didn't have it?) They ordered another taxi and it picked up another passenger waiting outside so apparently never asked if they had the correct customer. Twenty minutes after I was hoping to leave, I got a taxi but never any apologies from the staff.
The one time I ordered room service, it arrived quickly, but wasn't per my order. Internet & long distance costs $12.95/day. You need to sign on each day. I signed on for 3 days, yet was charged for 4 days. Also charged for long distance calls one of those 3 days(???) Lastly, for those who care about the environment, there's a nice little sign in the room saying how items can be recycled in the lobby. Tried asking the lobby staff about where i should drop off my recyclables. They had no idea nor did house cleaning so I assume everything just goes to landfill.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The Pros – The rooms are very spacious and the décor is very nice. The beds are covered with white comforters and they are very comfortable. The bathrooms are small but it’s not tight. Our room had a great view of the bay. There is free Internet service if you are a Silver Elite member. There are ample electrical outlets to plug in our laptop, recharge batteries, etc. There is a Starbucks in the lobby which is very convenient. Also convenient is the proximity to the airport and Bart.

The Cons – We had to park very far from the main entrance. Seems there were quite a few people attending events at the hotel that took up many of the spaces. Registered guests should have priority or premium parking since they are the ones who have to drag baggage. The bar is right next to the check-in desk and when we arrived, it was very loud. We had a hard time hearing the front desk personnel. The service in the restaurant for breakfast was very slow. This would not have worked if we had a flight to make. There was a mineral taste to the tap water and the bottled water was expensive at $3.00. There was no fan in the bathroom and it got pretty stuffy after a shower. Also, there was no microwave which is standard in many of the other hotels.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We stayed for just the one night here, prior to a flight from SFO the next day. It is - first and foremost- an 'airport hotel' - very little in the way of things to do here. The hotel has a small pool and fitness area, which I did think seemed a little dated and dingy, but for an overnight hotel its fine. I am a fan of Marriotts- their beds are always comfy, and this was no exception. We chose not to eat in the hotel restaurant / steak house ( prices seemed a tad ambitious, to say the least) and found a couple of more realistically priced restaurants a 10 min walk up the street. There's not a lot to look at round the area though! Staff seemed friendly and helpful.
Although the hotel is somewhat past its prime, and looking a little tired in the decor and furnishings etc, it was nonetheless, clean, presentable, and perfectly suitable for an overnight stay. Shuttle service to SFO is regular, and efficient - takes 10-15 mins.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank mel.w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport (SFO) - Waterfront

Been to San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront? Share your experiences!