“Nice Rooms - Spotty Service, Everything Costs Extra”

San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bay Area
“Nice Rooms - Spotty Service, Everything Costs Extra”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This hotel has a beautiful lobby and nice rooms that are exceptionally quiet. However, be prepared to pay for ALL extras at this Marriott - parking, internet connection, etc. Food prices are also high with no mid-range food available. (There is a Starbucks in the lobby, but it doesn't carry sandwiches or other lunch items and closes at 4pm each day.)
Ordered a taxi the night before so I could be at a sales training on time. When I checked with the lobby staff in the morning they had my name and the date, but no time written down for the taxi (Hmmm - wouldn't that be a key piece of information yo would question if you didn't have it?) They ordered another taxi and it picked up another passenger waiting outside so apparently never asked if they had the correct customer. Twenty minutes after I was hoping to leave, I got a taxi but never any apologies from the staff.
The one time I ordered room service, it arrived quickly, but wasn't per my order. Internet & long distance costs $12.95/day. You need to sign on each day. I signed on for 3 days, yet was charged for 4 days. Also charged for long distance calls one of those 3 days(???) Lastly, for those who care about the environment, there's a nice little sign in the room saying how items can be recycled in the lobby. Tried asking the lobby staff about where i should drop off my recyclables. They had no idea nor did house cleaning so I assume everything just goes to landfill.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The Pros – The rooms are very spacious and the décor is very nice. The beds are covered with white comforters and they are very comfortable. The bathrooms are small but it’s not tight. Our room had a great view of the bay. There is free Internet service if you are a Silver Elite member. There are ample electrical outlets to plug in our laptop, recharge batteries, etc. There is a Starbucks in the lobby which is very convenient. Also convenient is the proximity to the airport and Bart.

The Cons – We had to park very far from the main entrance. Seems there were quite a few people attending events at the hotel that took up many of the spaces. Registered guests should have priority or premium parking since they are the ones who have to drag baggage. The bar is right next to the check-in desk and when we arrived, it was very loud. We had a hard time hearing the front desk personnel. The service in the restaurant for breakfast was very slow. This would not have worked if we had a flight to make. There was a mineral taste to the tap water and the bottled water was expensive at $3.00. There was no fan in the bathroom and it got pretty stuffy after a shower. Also, there was no microwave which is standard in many of the other hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
leicester, UK
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We stayed for just the one night here, prior to a flight from SFO the next day. It is - first and foremost- an 'airport hotel' - very little in the way of things to do here. The hotel has a small pool and fitness area, which I did think seemed a little dated and dingy, but for an overnight hotel its fine. I am a fan of Marriotts- their beds are always comfy, and this was no exception. We chose not to eat in the hotel restaurant / steak house ( prices seemed a tad ambitious, to say the least) and found a couple of more realistically priced restaurants a 10 min walk up the street. There's not a lot to look at round the area though! Staff seemed friendly and helpful.
Although the hotel is somewhat past its prime, and looking a little tired in the decor and furnishings etc, it was nonetheless, clean, presentable, and perfectly suitable for an overnight stay. Shuttle service to SFO is regular, and efficient - takes 10-15 mins.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank mel.w
MUM
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Excellent hotel, great room service, superb meeting rooms, fantastic internet connectivity, good shuttle service, nice lounge, additional benefit of Pizza Hut room service and Star Bucks coffee shop to top it all. Great view of the sae from the lobby / restaurant - ideal for a business person

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We were invited to attend an affair at this hotel so me decided to stay there. To our surprise the hotel is situated on the bay over looking the airport. There is a beautiful nature walkway that travels for miles which allows for quiet time and relaxation. Watching those jumbos taking off and landing also is quite spectacular. The hotel itself is nice nothing above 3 1/2 stars. The eatery on the property is quite expensive, they have only one. There is a Starbucks located in the lobby which allows for a inexpensive cup of coffee. The lobby is quite grand overlooking the bay and airport, and has free WiFi. The rooms are Marriott rooms clean and comfortable. The airport shuttle was on time both from the airport and back again. The staff is professional. Located 30min from San Francisco Fishermans Wharf this hotel is a good airport hotel.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank llinda03
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed June 12, 2010

My flight was canceled so they suggested the Marriott. I have had good luck with Marriotts in the past, and I was not disappointed. The shuttle service was punctual and convenient, even in the middle of the night. The breakfast was simple, but wholesome, and the staff were so accomodating, especially since the airline still had my luggage. My bed was VERY comfortable- more so than other Marriotts I have stayed at, and the view of the airport was nice. Definitely worth the money, and no hassle to and from the airport. If I ever stay there again I will probably take advantage of the nice walking paths along the bay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ilikemarkers
Napa, California
Reviewed June 2, 2010

My wife had an early Saturday flight out of SFO, and we booked a room for Friday night at the SFO Marriott to avoid an early morning drive. Our plan enabled her to take the free shuttle to the airport, while I luxuriated in the room. We were satisfied, even pleased with our experience at the Marriott, but we have another nearby favorite that beats the Marriott in my opinion. (See my review of the Bay Landing Hotel.) Because we booked our stay through Priceline, we got a great deal, even though the Marriott charges $18/day for parking.
What we liked about the Marriott was the staff. Pulling up to the entrance flushed out a flock of eagerly helpful attendants. Check-in was quick and friendly. Had we been traveling as usual (carry-on luggage only), we would have gone to our room on our own, But we had a load of odd items for a project, so the bellman was needed. He was great with our cumbersome load, and eager and cheerful about it. He seemed surprised to receive my tip. Every staff person we encountered, no matter who, when, or where, offered a friendly greeting—it must be part of the Marriott training.
Two stories about the hotel staff: First, we discovered upon arrival that a sorority had swarmed the hotel for a convention. They were noisy in the hallways until about 10:30 pm, at which time I heard the hotel staff come through and herd them all into their rooms, where they remained silent for the rest of the night. Secondly, the next morning, someone in the elevator accidentally bumped the emergency call button. A voice promptly asked us if we needed help. It seems that the training goes beyond just friendliness; the hotel staff is really on their game. By the way, elevators were always very fast and efficient, even when crowds of coeds taxed their limit.
The atrium-style hotel lobby is very attractive, with large windows looking out at the bay. Décor is contemporary and stylish, and even playful and cheerful, but without crossing over into gaudiness. The restaurant off the lobby offered a breakfast buffet for $18 for the full meal, and (I think) $14 for more basic. A Starbucks is also available in the lobby. (We had brought our own breakfast food, and the room had a coffeemaker, so we didn’t try the restaurant.) The lobby also had computer kiosks for express checkout, and for confirming flights. A screen even showed real-time airline arrival information—a nice touch.
In contrast to the colorful lobby and hallways, the room was tasteful, but rather bland. The best way to describe the room colors is “neutral.” Furniture still looks contemporary, but within a year or so (I predict) will begin to look dated. Artwork is photos of retro airplanes and the Golden Gate Bridge. The hippest fixture was the lamps, which feature clear glass pedestals that seem timeless in style. We liked the flat-screen TV, curved shower rod in the bathroom, and coffeemaker (with coffee and tea) in the room. Bath amenities are “Bath and Body Works,” and smell very good. (How did they know that ginger is my favorite?) Everything was perfectly clean and in good working order. Soundproofing in the building must be pretty good, since we were across from an ice machine (a notoriously noisy device), but could not hear it at all in our room. Nor did we hear any airport or freeway noise.
There’s an array of electronic docking devices in the room, and a bag of cables hanging in the closet—very helpful to techies I’m sure. We did not choose to use the for-a-fee internet hookup, so we cannot comment on its speed or quality.
Other features in the room include iron and board, clock-radio, desk, and an easy chair with footrest. Our bed was very comfortable, with smooth sheets, pillow-top mattress, adequate back support, and an array of pillows from which to choose. One helpful room enhancement would be a small refrigerator. There’s even a place for one in the armoire, with an electrical outlet available.
I must comment on our room’s view, or rather lack thereof. We looked out at a rooftop, and could see little else. The issue was of little concern to us, since staring at the view was not the purpose of our trip, and basic rooms are to be expected when using Priceline.
Imagine our giggles when we discovered that what skyline we could see was blessed with a beautiful full moon. Priceless!
The fitness center is very good, with many treadmills and stationery bikes, a few machines, freeweights, and enough space to use it all. I almost didn't notice a second room with more bikes. There are small locker rooms with a shower available in each. Through the fitness center is the pool and hot tub, which looked very nice and clean, but I didn't try it.
To sum up, the Marriott beats the nearby Clarion, but is in turn beat by the Bay Landing. And all things considered (parking costs at Marriott and Clarion, free breakfasts at Clarion and Bay Landing), the three probably end up being close to comparable in cost. We were satisfied, even pleased by the Marriott, but not wowed.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank B_Pope
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South

Been to San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront? Share your experiences!