“Would not stay there again; poor quality and overpriced”

San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Would not stay there again; poor quality and overpriced”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for three nights, and def not what I expected from Marriott. Upon checking in the room we reserved was not available; got lower quality room but reception wouldn't reduce price though the website showed that same room for less. Booked a crib for the room and received a pack-n-play; apparently this hotel does not have any cribs - would not have even booked if there was no chance we were getting a crib. As a previous reviewer stated the room def smelled musty/stale. No refrigerator/minibar in the room... while the hotel does rent them out none were available whenever we called (they suggested we use ice machine). Sink in the bathroom was slow and the towels were frayed/old and felt like sandpaper (worst towels I've seen in 20 years of travel around the world). The positives... though you pay extra for parking the valet service was quick, never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for the car. And, the room service was quick and food quality good. Overall there are much better choices than this hotel at this price point/location. Stayed here because you except a full service Marriott to have certain standards, but makes you question if it is worth staying in any other Marriott. With all the choices why take the risk of poor value/experience.

Room Tip: if you must stay here I would suggest you just get the least expensive room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2013

If I can give people a tip - the best part of this hotel is the very friendly shoe-shine lady. The hotel staff are also good as are the common areas but the hotel room was grotesquely overpriced. Perhaps it was because we arrived later and maybe they assumed we weren't coming but the bathroom had no tub, a tiny sink and vanity and a seat in the shower. We are in our fifties but I felt like I was rounding a hundred. The room was small, ill-decorated and the windows were very noisy due to the wind. This room was quite expensive. I would stay elsewhere. On the bright side the gym was quite good.

Room Tip: Negotiate a price with Marriott directly
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because we were in town for a Halloween Event, We decided to stay at San Francisco Airport Marriott because we thought the rooms would be bigger than the rooms in San Francisco, Boy was I wrong The rooms are compact if you are claustrophobic, this Hotel is not for you. The hotel has nice scenery you can see the airport, planes taking off and landing, we had a view of the ocean but for what its worth the rooms were too small. After we informed the Manager they did give us a bigger room. The bed was a pullout couch bed. However the room was bigger.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountainair, New Mexico
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a conference held at this property. This is a classic Marriot property that is very convenient to several restaurants within short walking distance. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but a bit small for two people. The Internet was easy to connect and good bandwidth although fairly expensive. I am used to complimentary Internet at most places I stay.

I particularly enjoyed the outdoor sitting area adjacent to the main lobby. The fire pits made sitting outdoors quite comfortable even though the evenings were a bit chilly. The views and waterfront walk are a wonderful feature. This property is also very close to the airport.

The staff were all friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Enjoy the outdoor areas if weather permits.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This place was a total rip off- for $325 a night for a standard room on a Thursday night, you would think that the accommodations would be at least decent... not the case.
I was stunned when I checked in and was given a room that was small and meager accommodations, extremely hot and smelled like mold- it smelled so badly that it actually made me nauseous and I had to switch to another room. The "new room" was essentially the same as the first room, but at least it didn't smell.
Given the price of the room I was shocked when I was told that there was an additional $13+ charge for internet in the room. They did include free wifi in the hotel lobby, so I half considered plopping myself down in the lobby in my pjs to respond to work emails, but I opted not to.
Breakfast was included, however if you leave before 6am there is no alternative options for breakfast which was disappointing.
Given that it is relatively close to the airport, the location was great- but I would say that was the only positive point. My colleagues and I were truly disappointed in the accommodations and the ‘value’ of this hotel- and were quite surprised given that it is a Marriott. The bar and restaurant inside were adequate, and the staff was friendly enough, but it still didn’t make up for the rest of the poor experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jax8487
San Pedro - CA
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed at the hotel. Customer service was awesome. Afew minutes from the airport. Location allows you to have a glimpse of the beach from your room. Enjoyed evening strolls by the beach. Close to decent and affordable resaurants and stores less than 1 mile radius.. Very relaxing to enjoy a drink at the bar which ovelooks the water. Nice and very clean hotel. Awesome services.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here with some friends a couple weeks ago for the Diva Half Marathon. It was much nicer than we expected. Clean, modern and a cool place to sit outside and watch the planes come in. The bar is way too expensive though, bring your own drinks! Some sort of continental breakfast would have been nice too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South

Been to San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront? Share your experiences!