“Never again unless I'm forced to for work”

San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersSilver level
SF Bay Area
“Never again unless I'm forced to for work”
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I can handle the refurbishment and the new construction going on. However, all of the negatives that I experienced there would never compensate for the noise and inconvenience of this short period of work. First of all, the room was not clean. The carpets were filthy and the overpowering smell of cleaner nearly knocked me out. The air conditioner would not turn off and I was forced to place a towel over the vent so I wouldn't freeze. I was charged incorrectly on my bill for room service and bar service that I never ordered. Upon registration the desk clerk gave me the wrong room number. I was there for a conference (as an exhibitor) and being that there's only the Hertz car rental worker in the Business Center (who replies, "I'm only the car guy" to every question I asked him) I gave my UPS 2-Day Air packages to the front desk to be sent out. To my amazement the front desk held on to these packages for FIVE DAYS!!!!!! Subsequently, all those items were late to my next event. I will never return to this hotel unless I absolutely have to. There's no excuse for such poor service, even if the hotel is undergoing some cosmetic changes.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The horrible Business Center customer service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Michele_Emeritus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Hawaii
Reviewed October 24, 2007

The rack rate for the Marriott is $239.00+ per night. I got a great price from Priceline (I am so pleased with Priceline) and was quite excited to experience a Marriott Hotel room.

The registration desk was great. The agent upgraded us to a bay view which was stunning. From there on the experience flustered. The bellmen are very aggressive. We did not have too many bags and told the bellman that we would take them ourselves. The bags were taken from us. We did not have a choice about that. I observed 4 Japanese people checking in after us. They each had one suitcase and had them in their hands and went to register. It looked like they wanted to handle their on bags. The next moment, I saw a bellman with all four of their bags on a cart. They did not seem to have a choice either.

Our room was clean with a king-sized bed. The bed had a down-filled padding on top of the mattress which made the bed soft, however, the quills from the feathers kept poking through the pad. We ended up taking the padding off the bed.

All the hotels in downtown San Francisco charge an enormous fee for overnight parking ($25 to $38). With the city's limited space I can understand the charge. However, at the airport, where more land is available, I was shocked that the Marriott charged $18.00 for overnight parking (per day). We got rid of our car because at that point, it was costing us $68.00 just for parking.

The water bottle in the room was $4.00. That's $2.00 more than another hotel charged (Lodge at Tiburon).

Overall, we gave the room itself deserves a 3 star, but our experiences gave it a 2 star.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank bebehi
Reviewed October 17, 2007

The room had been redecorated and was ok for the price. Everything would have been ok if the room hadn't been filthy. The room had been very poorly cleaned - paper garbage still sitting on the carpet outside the room, a used wet facecloth still hanging on the rack in the bathroom, dirty/sticky beside table, dirty room service menu stuck between 2 pillows (that stained one of the pillows), etc. We provided this feedback to Marriott via their website. I don't think I would ever stay there again!

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Sunrise11
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 15, 2007

I stayed here 5x during Jul/Aug for business trips out of SFO.

Pros:
- Hotel is located on walking path along Burlingame Bay, with terrific views of the takeoffs and landings of international flights. If you enjoy watching 747's and international flights, you're in luck.
- The free airport shuttle takes less than 15 minutes and runs frequently. Bus drivers are excellent and help everyone with their luggage.
- All hotels in the area have trolley service to Burlingame, a cute little town with some upscale restaurants, a Pottery Barn, Walgreen's, etc. (slow--takes 1/2 hour each way).
- 2 blocks to Elephant Bar and El Torito (plus onsite restaurant). Not a lot of dining options near airport if you don't have a car.

Cons:
- Hotel was under renovation while I was there (Jul/Aug 2007), so be sure to ask for a "quiet" room away from the atrium.
- Biggest complaint with the doormen. Check-in lobby was located in a trailer. When I departed the shuttle bus, the doormen would watch me struggle up the ramp to the trailer and never offered to help me with my bags. After traveling on 14-hour flights from Asia, I found this to be particularly poor service and can't understand what the 5 employees standing at the door are doing.

(Stayed at the Hyatt on another trip, and the service was excellent for comparable rates!) Hyatt and Doubletree are both good options in this area and are also on the shuttle route.

Can't beat this hotel for the location on the Bay and proximity to SFO. Overall a decent business hotel.

• Liked — Location to SFO (with view of SFO runway)
  • Disliked — Construction, lobby staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank FlyingFast
Redmond
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Stayed there for a business trip. The room quality is OK, but outside
the hotel looked like a mess. This is because of the renovation that it has been going through. I visited other hotel nearby (Hyatt) and it looked much nicer comparing to a Marriott and I know that the room
price there is about the same. Also hotel does not offer
complimentary breakfast. The broadband connection is 12$ per 24hours,
however in other Marriott's I stayed before it was free. The good thing about this hotel is view on the runways. There is a shore trail
nearby where one can walk and watch planes landing and take off.

• Liked — Runway view
  • Disliked — Internet connection was not free.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank rus5898
Cincinnati
Reviewed September 8, 2007

They should close this place until renovations are finished. Water break in the middle of the night - had to change rooms (mine was flooded). Distribution Center across the street with trucks all night. Rooms are outdated. A trailer for check-in. Airport bus goes to another hotel adding to your time to get to the airport. Surly staff. For $100, I'd be okay with this, and could live with it. For $200+ and the Marriott name, it doesn't cut it.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank cinncitraveler
Manchester
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Stayed here the last night of our honeymoon, as had an early flight the next day. Reasonably priced, room was nice and big. Bed and bedding well above average, lovely shampoos etc too. Had a meal in the Steakhouse and must say thought the food was excellent, although a little pricey (was also choice for my vegetarian wife!). All in all, would certainly stay here again.

• Liked — Comfy rooms, beds and bathroom freebies!
  • Disliked — Not really worth paying for a room with a view
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dan_and_Gill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Aloft San Francisco Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South

Been to San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront? Share your experiences!