“Close to airport but left a lot to be desired”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
Jonesborough, Tennessee
“Close to airport but left a lot to be desired”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pros:
Close to airport and free shuttle service. Makes catching an early flight from SFO so easy.

Hotel staff was friendly, free cookie upon checkin (who can resist a warm chocolate chip cookie?)

Large bed, and clean bathroom

Cons:
The air conditioner was leaking water onto the floor, getting the carpet all wet.

As a result of it leaking water, each time a drop of water would drip from the coils, it would fall onto the fan blades which would wake you up from the noise it would make.

The carpet and some of the furniture looks like it's from the 1970s.

Several times through the night I woke up thinking I felt something crawling on me. Each time I checked the bed over but didn't find anything.

The mattress was lumpy and needs replacing.

I've stayed at several of the hotels near SFO over the past 12 years. While this hotel may be cheaper than most, most are in much better condition.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TennesseeFamily41

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our room in the Doubletree was updated and remodeled. There was no need to climb under things to find outlets--there were plenty and they were easy to reach. The fixtures were nice as was the shower.
The room was adequate in size and the beds were comfortable. Hallways were quiet and elevators were large and efficient.
The bartender/waiter, Rusty, was great.
The only negatives I have were that the air conditioning didn't work well and it got the carpet wet. Also, the airport shuttle service was not good. It was supposed to run every 15 minutes, but we waited an hour at the airport to be picked up. . . and yes we WERE in the right place. The shuttle company is actually a separate company from the hotel, but since they work for the hotel perhaps they should be more closely monitored.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view and make sure the AC works.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We needed a hotel upon arrival at 2am from the east coast. The staff was accommodating with a quiet non-adjoining room, cookies and water upon arrival. The hotel was completely booked, but the room was totally quiet and clean. We got a great night sleep and were on our way the next morning...

Sydney
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were here for six day and had a pleasant stay, the staff are very friendly and helpful (special mention - So Wa at the reception). The deluxe room was spacious and very comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities. There is a free shuttle service to the airport, suggest you use the shuttle to catch the train from the airport to the city. Apart fromt the airport service, there is also a free shuttle service to Burlingame shopping and restuarant.

Arcata, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The good: this is one of the SFO airport hotels that has a free shuttle to Burlinggame restaurants & shopping so you are not trapped into hotel restaurant food. The desk staff were courteous and efficient. A free chocolate chip cookie on check in. The bad: the room was not clean (dust on flat surfaces, bathroom mirror needed cleaning, spots on bathroom floor around toilet really need mopping). A call to housekeeping might fix the cleanliness issue, but two other people attending the same conference mentioned their rooms were not clean, either and one even checked out after being moved to a new room because of the housekeeping issues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My first room appeared to have not been vacuumed and the toilet not cleaned. When turning back the sheets I found crumbs between them. I asked for new sheets and was provided with a top sheet and flat sheet, but decided to just go with it and remake the bed using them. In the process I found a partially masticated cookie stuck to the duvet. OK - gross! So, at 11:00 at night I moved to a new room. The new room had a wine stain on the sheets, hair in the sink, an XL sticker on the door and smears all over the closet mirror doors. The room was also missing a smoke detector - I assume it having been removed to allow someone to smoke. At this point, I figured there aren't any more acceptable rooms so I put a pillow over the stain so I wouldn't roll onto it in the night and slept on the other side of the bed - all while trying not to touch the sheets. Not a good night's sleep to say the least. Also, as a habit I always check the windows in a new hotel. The first room was on the second floor and could be walked up to on the hotel's front portico. The window was unlocked with no screen allowing easy access to anyone wanting into the room.

There is also no microwave or refrigerator in the rooms. The glass drinking glasses, while in paper bags, were dirty. You get the idea. I left after two nights. The only reason I'm not giving the hotel a 1 star is because all the staff were very friendly. I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RamblinDogs
Managerdth, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We're so glad to hear that you found our staff to be very friendly. However, it seems like we really dropped the ball when it came to the rest of your stay and we’re very sorry for all of the housekeeping problems that you encountered. Dirty rooms are not typical at our hotel, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. We have discussed this with our staff and will make every effort to be sure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. We hope that you will give us a second chance if you visit our area again in the future.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Last week I spent my first and last nights here in the SFO area while hooking up and hiking hiking with a small group in Marin County for the week.

Never having stayed here before, I picked this hotel due its location near SFO, a 24-hour free airport shuttle, and a very good rate I was able to obtain online at the Hilton web site. Breakfast is not included in the room rate unless you specifically book that package at a higher price.

Finding the hotel shuttle at SFO was a little confusing for me, but once on board everything went smoothly. It was a short and fast trip to the hotel were I was efficiently checked in and upgraded to a bay view room as a Hilton HHonors member.

My first room, # 507, was a comfortable king bed room, which also contained an upholstered chair and leather-like ottoman, small round side table for the chair, a floor lamp, 2 bed tables with lamps, and a desk and low chest combo with an office-type chair.

The room contained 2 telephones, one on the desk and the other on a bedside table. and a flat panel TV with cable on the low chest. The room also had a small coffee maker with limited supplies. The only surprise here was that in-room wifi cost $9.95, even for HHonors members, but there are 2 wired computers and a printer in the lobby for free guest use.

The bathroom looked totally new with a granite-style lav top, tile floors, ceramic tub and tile shower surround. The shower did have a curved rod and a shower system that could be used as wall mounted or handheld.

The room had good lighting during the day with the window drapes open, but it was somewhat dim at night with due to the low watt bulbs used. The bed was comfortable and I slept good here both nights.

On my return, I was in room # 730, which was set up the same but did not have a bay view. Rather it had a view of the Red Roof Inn next door.

The hotel is located on the bay in Burlingame, about 2 miles from SFO and just across the street from the Bayside Trail. You can take the hotel's complimentary shuttle bus to the nearby Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station or back to the airport BART station in the international Terminal. BART is a very convenient way to get around SF as parking is a challenge there. If you drive to the hotel, self parking is $20 per day.

I found the DoubleTree restaurant, 37 North, to be to busy, loud and expensive for my needs. Utilizing TripAdvisor, I discovered I was directly next door to a 24 hour diner in the Red Roof Inn called Leann's Cafe that was rated #8 of 97 restaurants in Burlingame! Leann's serves both traditional US diner food and some nice Asian selections. They also have bar service. I highly recommend it.

The hotel is completely nonsmoking. Pets are allowed but their web site says they charge a non refundable $40 deposit. I can't help but wonder how it is a deposit if it is non refundable?

All in all, this DoubleTree was a cut above most of the many airport hotels I have stayed in. I rated it very good (4 out of 5 on the TripAdvisor scale) in all of the categories I utilized.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo