“Best Restaurant in Burlingame”

Sapore Italiano Ristorante Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
Sapore Italiano Ristorante Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 172 Restaurants in Burlingame
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: El Camino Real
Transit: Caltrain - Burlingame Station. Head West on Burlingame Ave., restaurant will be on the left side of the street. Next to Walgreens/Safeway.
Burlingame, California
“Best Restaurant in Burlingame”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Sapore is our favorite restaurant in Burlingame. It is our go to spot for taking friends out to dinner, celebrating birthdays and other happy times. The food is excellent, consistent, plentiful, and delicious. The wait staff is warm and friendly and it is a "neighborhood gem". High quality food, full bar, excellent wine list, owners on site. It is just the best!!!!! We love having Sapore in Burlingame.

Visited March 2013

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“What a find!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Looking for a place to have dfinner the night before flying out of San Francisco, Trip Advisor directed me to Sapore. Atmosphere, great food, including pizza, friendly service. And not expensive. One of those rare finds on the road near an airport. Highly recommend for all the family.

• Visited March 2013
Orinda, California
“Fantastic Italian restaurant in the heart of Burlingame”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

First time coming here to meet an old friend for dinner. First impression was quite positive. Host/hostess greeted us with a warm smile upon entering. Immediately took us to a table. I believe they take reservations and I suggest it. I didn't have reservations because it was a bit of an early dinner (5:30pm), but it did get quite crowded. Restaurant appears small, but I believe there is an upstairs that allows for more seating or private parties. Servers immediately brought out some bread and gave us plenty of time to choose from the menu. Did not feel rushed. They seemed very patient.

I ordered the bruschetta to start along with the minestrone soup. For our main, ordered the rigatoni rustica and my friend ordered the salmon (can't remember the name of the dish). I must say, the food (everything from the apps, soup and main) was amazing! Bruschetta was four pieces nicely piled on with all the trimmings. I'm not a typical soup person and quite finicky when it comes to food, but I have to admit, it was quite delicious. The main came out and the portions were more than I expected but again, quite tasty. I actually had left overs because I had eaten so much.

My friend and I were there quite a long time catching up and the staff were great. They did not rush us to finish and leave.

I knew the food was good based on my "wife test". She's not a massive fan of Italian cuisine (I mean she'll have it because she knows I love it), but I told her to try the left overs. Mind you, it was cold and re-heated, but she absolutely loved it. Sapore will be a stop for us the next time we have date night.

FYI - the reason for 4 stars isn't because they had any flaws. I'm just very picky about giving the full on 5 stars.

outside Atlanta, GA
“Delicious, authentic, fresh and homemade”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We decided to visit Sapore because we trust Trip Advisor reviewers to steer us in the right direction. And we were definitely NOT disappointed.

This is the quintessential family-run Italian restaurant, and the ownership was visible, in charge, and interested in the patrons and the staff. They were also great with the marketing angle - how did we find them? What did we think? Everyone from the hostess to the waiter to the owner all asked how we got there.

Now, to the food. We started with the caprese salad which was delicious. Full pit olives in the center, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes. Delicious start. We had our six year old with us and they had a great coloring page and menu for her. We ordered her gnocchi with our appetizer and they brought it out when we had our salad. The gnocchi were probably the lightest ones I've ever tried, to the point that they almost seemed undercooked because they melted in your mouth - but they were delicious.

My husband ordered the penne rustica - and the sausage tasted fresh and was full of fennel. This dish tasted almost like a lasagna but with the penne instead. He scarfed it down and scarcely left me a bite! :) I went off the menu and ordered fettuccine alfredo, and the pasta was eggy and creamy and delicious and without a doubt the best fresh pasta I've ever had. I've tried to achieve fresh pasta at home - and this is what I wish my results had been.

When we were finished (and they sat us at a "family table" near the kitchen, which I bet some would not like, but we enjoyed it because we got to see all the action) - the owner came by and this is when he asked us how we found him, which we said TripAdvisor. Next thing you know we had a plate of tiramisu in front of us. It was so light - and so delicious - we really felt like we were part of the regular crowd and really appreciated the attentive service.

GO TO SAPORE! Well worth it, and delicious.

Clovis, California
“nice italian getaway in the middle of town.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The size of this place was deceiving from the street. It fits alot more people than we first thought. We enjoyed the ambiance and the food was prepared well and served surprisingly fast considering all the parties that were there. The pasta dishes were fresh and flavorful, and the ceasar salad was outstanding.