“Beautiful Ambiance, Good Food”
Review of Il Fornaio

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1 block N. of Burlingame Ave.
Description: This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience.
Reviewed January 6, 2019

We've eaten here several times and it's always good. The service is prompt and friendly and the dining room is large, but cozy at the same time. We never felt it was too loud.
We also go to the Il Fornaio in Corte Madera, another favorite.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed December 5, 2018

Had a wonderful experience celebrating the holiday season with our local group. Never knew Il Fornaio had a private room. Can seat about fifty though that would be crowded; we had 25 or so and it was nicely arranged with five round tables. The private room is significantly quieter than the main restaurant.

The service led by our waiter Jose was outstanding and all of the restaurant's staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Three entrees were offered to choose from, including grilled salmon, chicken piccata and a vegetarian dish. I'm told the salmon was excellent; I had the chicken piccata and found it tasty but a bit tough.

We brought in our own wine and corkage was $20 per bottle which went towards our minimum for the room.

All who attended suggested a return next December.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 24, 2018 via mobile

We had some excellent pasta which tasted like in Italy we got some real expresso too - very friendly staff

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 22, 2018

4 of us arrived for our dinner reservation. Seated promptly at requested booth. Server greeted us and took drink order. Hot assorted breads and vinegar and olive oil were delicious. I ordered the manicotti special. 2 ordered ravioli and 1 fish. Dinners were piping hot. My manicotti had sausage in it. Unfortunately some of the sausage was grizzle pieces which really ruined the dish. Portion size was perfect.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 18, 2018

This is an Italian restaurant. Margo, Gina and Gail were three ladies who assisted with the launch party of my Exhibition <A STERLING Renaissance - British Silver Design from 1957-2018> held at SFO Museum, San Francisco International Airport. Located in the Main Hall (Departures) it runs from 6th October 2018 through to 21 May 2019. As a thank-you I took them to the above. We had a great table and the food was A1, but the service was somewhat bizarre. Our waiter was elderly and no doubt considered a treasure. Being from London, New York and elsewhere in the US we are not aware of his local status. When he poured Margo's red wine she asked him to wipe the <dribbles> he had caused down the exterior of the glass. After I had tasted the bottle of white wine to be shared between Gail (to my left) and myself, I had to point out to serve the lady first. The crowning glory was when the bill came. I indicated that it was for me and he just threw it across the table at me. Margo and Gina saw this and were horrified. Being English I did not bat an eyelid. However, when he came to collect the bill and card I threw it back at him. The ladies squeeled with delight. When he returned he proffered the card and receipt to me with a bow and a flourish. I gave him an exaggerated gracious thanks in an old fashioned English aristocratic way and accepted it with a slight bow of my head and flourish. Margo (aged 82) could not contain her excitement with <The Englishman wins!> I like a bit of accentricity - the ladies thought it was a great floor show. Would I go back - DEFINITELY! The place was great!!

Date of visit: October 2018