“Seafood not fresh”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 172 Restaurants in Burlingame
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1 block N. of Burlingame Ave.
Description: This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience.
Westport, CT
“Seafood not fresh”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Seems this restaurant has become a chain, where nice energy and convenient locations are all this is left.

Visited January 2014

San Francisco
“One of the Better Il Fornaio's”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have been to several locations of this Chain's restaurants and think this is probably the best one. The restaurant itself is very nice inside and the service is very good. They have a fairly large bar and the menu has a variety of pizza, pasta and other Italian dishes. Oftentimes it is crowded so it is helpful to make a reservation.

• Visited November 2013
Palo Alto, California
“A nice meeting place, very good atmosphere and food”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This location offers a lively restaurant with dressed customers, for work and lunch, and dinner.
Its a nice meeting place for lunch because the food is reliably good, and they their are choices such as soups and salads, besides pizza and pastas, and good fish.

Parking is not a challenge for there is a parking lot around the corner from the restaurant.

The breads are always tempting, the wine is good, and the place makes for a wonderful
location (between SF and South Peninsula) to meet for lunch or dinner.

It's usually crowded because it is such a fine place for a meal. (Burlingame Ave is also a nice place to shop, and people from out of town appreciate the small upscale town feeling.)

• Visited December 2013
San Francisco
“The Best Happy Hour On The Peninsula!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

In my humble opinion when you combine service and value this place has the best happy hour going on the peninsula, bar none.

The service is terrific. For the second time I six weeks my bartender was Rhonda. Rhonda is one of those “I-know-what-I-am-doing-and-if- you-ask-for-my-advice-I-will-give-it” kind of people who, by the way, knows exactly what she is talking about. Rhonda, is a great conversationalist, an expert behind the bar and knows exactly what is going on at every stool.

The food and drinks are the proverbial deal of the day. They have wonderful six dollar Carpaccio which was presented so well and tasted so good I ordered it twice. They also serve, a wonderful six dollar Pizza Margherita. That's right I said it, they have a wonderful six dollar Pizza Margherita and I am a New Yorker who knows pizza. They also have a great happy hour wine selection. There are many drink choices for six bucks, not just one or two and I would highly recommend their pinot grigio. I inquired about happy hour "The Glenlivet" (yes it is "The" Glenlivet) and wouldn't you know it, for the seventy-fifth straight restaurant I was told there is no six dollar The Glenlivet. I love asking and I am waiting for someone to ask if I have lost my mind! First American Airlines stops serving it in first class and I can’t find it on anyone’s happy hour menu. What in the world……?

The main dining room is large, open and airy and the servers appear to be smiling team players. The outside eating area is cool for people watching. Oh, they also have free wireless internet!

I intend to have my face in the place once a week.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank CHOCOOLATE
New York City
“Comfortable stop on the way to SFO.”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Having a few hours to kill until my flight back to NY, my driver suggested a detour to Burlingame instead of just dropping me off at the San Francisco airport. What a lovely little town. After taking a short shopping walk I decided to stop in Il Fornaio noticing it already had a lively scene even though it was only 5:30 in the afternoon. Very glad I did too. Friendly service, a good wine list, and a very nicely prepared veal dish. Though nothing particularly unusual or special from a culinary perspective, it has well prepared food nicely presented and in an attractive environment. A very pleasant detour indeed.