“Walk-in good food; confused service at Urban Bistro Burlingame”
Review of Urban Bistro

Urban Bistro
Ranked #32 of 171 Restaurants in Burlingame
Burlingame, California
“Walk-in good food; confused service at Urban Bistro Burlingame”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We walked in to this restaurant where you order at the front and your food is brought to your table. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger (cooked medium) and fries. Firt a server brought us someone elses order, which we did not accept. When the burger arrived, there was no bacon. Eventually I flagged the manager, who said that he would send some bacon right away. A server tried to bring a plate of brussels sprouts instead, by mistake. Eventually I was able to flag down the manager again, who was surprised I had not gotten the bacon, but said it would be there soon. It arrived a bit later, piping hot, but by that time my cheeseburger , which had been cooked well done, was getting cold, and my dinner companion had almost finished eating. The food tasted good, THere was a reasonable variety, and i liked the fries (without potato skins), but the service was very scattered. Prices were a little high considering the type of restaurant and service.

• Visited September 2013

Orinda, California
“Wonderful staff and service”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Five stars for the responsiveness of the owner, staff and service. Four stars for the food.

Some background. The service my wife and her friends received the last time they were there was deplorable. Without getting into the details, the manager was rude and condescending when they complained. I contacted the owner and I got an immediate response from them and was wonderful. The owner advised there were staffing changes, including the manager.

My wife and I went back and we could immediately feel the difference in service level, engagement by the staff and overall atmosphere. Not sure if its an everyday thing, but an attendant came by while we were in line to order, asked if we were eating in or take out. We were eating in so he took our name and told us he'd reserve a table. He did that for the folks in front of us and those behind. Pretty unique. We ordered, found our seat and the food was delivered to our table. FYI, Urban Bistro is a "spin off" of SF Soup Co, but a little better. Prices are reasonable and portions are decent. Here's the kicker, little things like making sure my drinks were full, checking in on us and making sure everything is ok is something you wouldn't expect at a quick eat type of place. Even the manager on duty, I think her name was Heather, did the rounds of checking up on the patrons. What was also nice to see was that she was engaged with the staff. She bussed tables, delivered food, and did the little things.

I will definitely return and my wife has also told her friends (who was with her experiencing the previous bad service). They plan to do lunch there soon. I highly recommend this place now with the changes of staff, quick responses to patron's feedback and wonderful service.

• Visited May 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Awesome food, a little pricey”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went with my cousin and his 3 year old daughter. He lives in the area and this is one of his favorite places. He had and recommended the corn chowder, but I had the Southwest Chicken Chowder. It was pleasantly spice and quite good. The lemonade was...interesting. I wasn't expecting the flavor--it tasted like it had mint in it. Very unusual but it grew on me after a while. The best part was the sweet potato fries and fry sauce. I'm not usually a big fan of fry sauce, but this combination was fabulous! I loved it, even after one fry broke and stained my dress shirt and pants. 8) Parking was a little challenging in downtown Burlingame, so plan on driving around a while looking for a spot. I would have rated it higher, but just my tab came in around $16 for lemonade, a big bowl of soup (it was too much), and the fries. I thought that was a bit much for lunch.

• Visited March 2013
Belmont, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great variety, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Great place for a casual evening for an easy meal, great variety, great comfort foods as well as healthy choices for my wife. Dine outside on a warm evening.

• Visited January 2013
“Super find for celiacs”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We visited as it purports to offer celiac menu. Great find. Food was great and most options were available, visibly, as suitable for celiacs, gluten free. Staff were very aware of the concerns and suitability.

1 Thank 01Badger