“Expensive for basic amenities”

Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Delhi, India
“Expensive for basic amenities”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for over a week and while the hotel is situated in a good place close to the airport, the location itself is a bit isolated - you can walk to the downtown Burlingame market but if you're in a hurry, there are no shops or market outside the hotel. The hotel does have a free bus shuttle to the airport and to Burlingame market, so you can save some taxi money. The amenities within the room are very basic too, eg. there's no refrigerator/ minibar in the room. The swimming pool is very small. The rooms are average sized but bathrooms are quite clean though. Breakfast was a problem since the hotel provides a very limited spread and there is nothing else within walking distance. The staff is very courteous and helpful. But all in all, for almost $200 a night, it was an expensive choice.

Room Tip: Don't choose rooms that have windows opening to the front of the hotel, there's nothing to l...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Norval N, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments from your recent stay. I am very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations at the hotel. We are currently finalizing our plans for our hotel renovation set to be completed in 2014. I hope that we can invite you back in the future and show you our improvements. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stay at this hotel more than a few times a month (on average). The staff is extremely nice and helpful, and what I would expect from a Crowne Plaza. The rooms, however, could use a little maintaining. During my most recent stay, I was disappointed to find a used wash cloth from a previous occupant hanging over the shower curtain. The water pressure in the sink was inadequate and the drain plug would barely open, causing water to pool in the sink. I would think housekeeping would notice this as part of their cleaning duties, and alert hotel maintenance, but maybe I'm giving them too much credit. Or, maybe maintenance just hasn't gotten around to it. The complimentary lotion bottle was also half full, leading me to believe it was used previously and then intentionally neatly arranged back on the shelf by housekeeping.

The airport shuttle service is contracted out and the drivers are friendly and helpful. I know of two instances in the past few months where the 4:33am van never showed up, so give yourself plenty of time if traveling for an early flight.

Overall, what I would expect from a Crowne Plaza, but I know housekeeping can do better!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comments from your recent stay. I have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping department so they can use them to better train the staff and help them lookout for any left behind items from previous guests. I have also forwarded your comments to our engineering department so they can test the water pressure in our rooms and locate the problem.

The hotel is currently finishing up the plans for our renovation set to be completed in 2014. I hope that you will find our improvements acceptable in the future. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed just the one night at this hotel after my onward flight to Phoenix was cancelled. Choice was determined by airline, and nightly tariff higher than would have normally considered if paying for myself. However, it was a very comfortable hotel in a good position right next to the bay,with a trail which could be joined along it from opposite hotel's entrance. This was good for the couple of hours which I had to enjoy before sunset. Hotel was large and clean as you would expect of a 4* standard and the reception staff were most excellent in the way they assisted me with providing razor and shaving cream, toothbrush and paste all of which were in my case at airport. Also, no trouble in their phoning my pre-booked hotel in Phoenix to explain my position. This hotel has a courtesy shuttle, which runs every 30 minutes to and from the airport terminals, which is efficiently operated. Room was large and had everything which is normally required and more. Comfortable lounge to sit out in and a courtesy internet terminal was available to use. There was also an integral cafe bar which could be exited at side of hotel, and the meals provided here were excellent value ,with good sized and well prepared portions. Service in this bar was also first rate with wide menu choice. So in summary I would suggest this Crowne Plaza is a good option for a night or two if competitive rate obtained.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Norval N, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Mr. Edwards!

I am very glad to see we provided you with comfortable, clean accommodations as well as courteous and professional service. I will definitely pass these comments on to our staff so they can see how much their hard works pays off.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Del Mar, California
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

It is OK. Room was fine. Staff were nice enough. It was clean, ETC. Restaurant was terrible. Bar too. Typical for this "lost" brand. Holiday Express across the street was sold out but I will reserve earlier next time

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your comments from your recent stay. I am really sorry that you were less than satisfied with your service and experience in our restaurant. I will ensure we pass these comments on to the restaurant staff and management so they can review their practices and improve their performance. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The staff here were extremely friendly and helpful. The housekeeping was impeccable. It is close to the freeway so there is some traffic noise but the convenience to get to downtown San Francisco was worth it. The hotel was not very busy so we were upgraded to the executive level. I was traveling with 3 young kids and treated very well. Luckily the kids were in bed early and didn't bother other guests with loud noises. Great pool and great business center as well. I highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your great review, Amanda!
I am so glad that you and the kids enjoyed yourselves in the Bay Area!

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Vancouver
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I associate a Crowne Plaza as a hotel one step up from a Holiday Inn. The Crowne Plaza at SFO appears to be one step down.
The rooms are clean, but it is clear they were updated about 10 years ago and that was it. Furniture chipped, broken tiles in the bathroom, old fashioned A/C, etc.
The best part was the small size table refrigerator right in the middle of the room. It was like somebody decided the rooms should have fridge, so let's put a stand alone little fridge right in the middle of the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DutchcanuckVancouver
Thank you very much for your review of your stay in October. Our company acquired this Crowne Plaza in October of last year and we are currently working very hard to finalize the plans for the hotel renovation set to be completed in 2014. I apologize for the experience you had with the fridge in your room. Our rooms do not normally come with fridges unless it is an amenity booked by a corporate travel group and we try to place guests in these rooms that request upgrades or fridges in their rooms. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

650-373-7031
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Booked because SF hotels were very expensive that weekend, and I needed to get to the Airport next day. Basic, has a pool, breakfast was good but extra. Shuttle to/from the airport was convenient. My particular frustration was that although this hotel is close to both the main I-101 and the airport there was only single glazing on the windows, resulting in noise levels over 70 dB(A) in the room. Now who builds hotels in the 21st century and puts anything less than double glazing in the windows?? Clearly Crowne Plaza do. Fortunately the ambient air temperature was moderate, so I did not need the A/C or heating on, which would of added to the noise level again. All for $175/night, breakfast extra. I wouldn’t stay here again, I would head for SF or Palo Alto on the BART/Caltrain, which are much better locations and decent hotels.

Room Tip: Take your ear plugs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear UKDiver2007,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise levels in the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D