“Better Than Your Average Airport Hotel”

Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here twice (one night each) over the past long weekend and found it to be a great hotel. Rooms seemed recently upgraded but we were staying on the Exec level so maybe they started there first. Actually ate a couple of meals (1 breakfast and 1 dinner) and both where good. The shuttle runs every thirty minutes and is shared sometimes with Holiday Inn Express and sometimes Vagabond Inn. It's kind of a funky shuttle with departure times from the hotel of :03 and :33 after the hour. When you hear that kind of time it seems pretty exact. Why not just say on the hour and half hour. It never was "exactly" on time but was usually within 10 minutes. Would and probably will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear stcroixscuba,

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear you had a great time while staying at our property. We do understand your concerns on the shuttle times. We do share our shuttle with two other properties and we try to provide as close a time as possible that the shuttle stops at our hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the food at our restaurant and will forward your comments on to our Chef. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

nnelson@sfocp,com

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel is close to SFO airport, and the hotel provides shuttle to and from airport too, just ask for the schedule from the reception
It is on closeproximity to Holiday Inn express.

If you intend to rent a car, there is parking fee charge at the hotel. when there is private function, you may have difficulty in getting a parking space, perhaps, it is better to check with the front desk
Overall the room is clean, and spacious.
one disadvantage, you have to buy the wifi access, $9.90 for 24 hours. else, you may use the free wifi at the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear OBear,

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. Our staff always strives to provide each guest with quality guest service. Next time you should stay with us, inquire at our front desk on how you can receive complimentary WiFi and they will be happy to let you know how. We look forward to having you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is not new. In fact some may call it worn, maybe even past it's time, but it has many attributes in its favor.

The first is the staff. When I last checked in, which was in May 2012, after a long day, they gave me a room that had a horrendously noisy fan. I found this room unacceptable. They gladly offered me another. This room was without the fan windstorm, but I could not connect to the Internet. No problem, they happily moved me....back to my original room.

However, before we arrived maintenance had been in and fixed the fan problem! There was no longer a hurricane in my room. And I could connect to the Internet. Whoo Hoo!

This brings me to the second great thing about this hotel, the food. No, it's not gourmet, but, it is good, reasonably priced and available without having to drive, so you can have that second beer without worrying about it.

The third thing is the little souvenir / food store they have in the lobby. Believe me it is small. So small, that it closes during non peak times, but when they are open....which is most of the time... they are friendly and go out of their way to accommodate.

The fourth thing is the hotel location, which some may view as the first thing that's important. This hotel is close to the airport, easy on and off of the highway....has water views...great access to a running route along the water and did I mention it is very reasonably priced?

Lastly, again, the staff is great. They seem to care. The servers in the restaurant...in the evening, the morning and during the day when I've been there (this is my third time here) all go out of their way to make sure you are happy. The desk staff is responsive, understanding and caring. As I mentioned earlier, the maintenance staff went out of their way! To me this means they enjoy working here, which means the management is taking care of them.

Thank you for making my working in SFO easier! I'll will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the water, not the highway.

Dear marathonguy,

WOW!!!! We are very happy to hear that each and every single one our departments met your expectations while staying at our hotel. In response toy your comment about our staff caring, we genuinely do care about each and every single one of our guests and strive to ensure they have a great experience with us. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We tried Crowne Plaza for a layover before traveling back home across the Pacific Ocean. I chose Crowne Plaza because rates at Embassy Suites (where we usually stay) were high for the dates we needed. (Emb Suites - $200 and Crowne Plaza - $119 w/bfast or $98 w/o bfast, we took the rate w/bfast).

The first room we got was very small and so after explaining there was no space in the room for an extra bed to accommodate my wife and two kids and our 8 large bags, they upgraded us. The upgrade room was a one bedroom suite and totally suited our space needs. It surprised me we had to do this cause the room description on the site we booked said room was 350 sq. ft. and Embassy Suites is listed as room size of 380 sq. ft. This wouldn't matter if you were traveling single or as a couple.

This property exceeded my expectations on some things compared to some other properties in this price range we'd tried previously around SFO. The upgrade made my review a 4 rather than a 3. But if we hadn't been upgraded I'd bark a lot louder about these things:

- No refrigerator in room unless you requested it
- No microwave in room again unless you requested it.
- These two missing items made me feel they might be trying to push sales in the restaurant.

Couple good things I'd like to mention:

- Staff were always very courteous and friendly all the way down to the male housekeeper who was cleaning public areas. Practically everyone smiled and said "Hello". This was very pleasant.
- Breakfast was completely acceptable and in fact "good". They had a good selection, especially yummy sausages. And again staff were right on top of everything. Although it's a buffet, we felt more like we were in a full service restaurant and in fact I left a tip.
- Wifi was free and worked very well.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for an efficient friendly place around SFO, you should consider this property.

Happy Traveling

Eric

Room Tip: If you want a refrigerator or microwave in the room, mention it at the time you book so you won'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear uncle-eric,

We are happy to hear you had a great time while staying at our hotel. Refrigerators are available upon request and always complimentary. We will take your comments into consideration as we plan our upcoming rooms renovation. We are absolutely delighted to hear that our staff was both friendly and courteous to you and your family during your stay. As always, our staff strives to deliver the best service to each and every single one of our guests while traveling. We look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is located in near to San Francisco airport. Very easy to be reached from 101 if you drive North, not so easy from the hotel to catch 101 S. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Bathroom in the room is large and with everything you might need. Air conditioning is somewhat noisy. Better to choose a room on the opposite side of the 101, otherwise the noise from outside can disturb a lot. Receptionist are kind and professional. Breakfast is too poor for such a hotel. Overall a good choice if you want to be close to the airport. San Francisco is only 20-25 minutes driving.

Dear gcecotti67,

Thank you for your comments. We have forwarded you feedback regarding our restaurant to our Chef and he will review with his staff. We are happy to hear you had a pleasant time with us while staying at our hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Staff was friendly and the location very convenient and the price low. Like other hotels near the airport I This hotel has aged. The wireless internet in my room was extremely bad, although it was okay in the lobby and the restaurant. I did not have breakfast the but I tried the restaurant for diner. The salmon I had was dry an very average. For my next SF trip, l will remain an IHG loyalist, but will try other properties they have in the area. The hotel is okay, but just below what I need to adopt it and decide not to look for alternative.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Pat_Qc_CAN,

Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel just one night because the hotels in SF were fully booked and expensive. I arrived at SFO with my colleague after the long flights via LAX at 22:00. I called the hotel and inquired about the next hotel shuttle, and the receptionist said in 15 min. However, we waited for over half an hour outside the terminal, and called the hotel again, the same person said it would be another half an hour. We were about to catch a cab and then the shuttle came suddenly. When we arrived at the hotel, there was yelling conversation at the reception between the guests and the receptionist for some reason. Another receptionist, maybe a manager on duty, was too busy with something else, and answered a new phone before taking care of us. Both receptionists looked very stressed. They may need additional assistants during the night. All these events gave us extra fatigue after the long travel. The room was just OK with no special taste. My room was on the highway side, and the trafic noise was not tolerable. In the morning we when checked out and asked for a conference room, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I did not encounter any major trouble just for the night, but I do not see many reasons to select this hotel again in terms of price, quality of room and restaurants unless there is no other hotel open.

Room Tip: Probably the opposite room from the highway.
1  Thank NiigataTravelLover
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Niigata Travel Lover,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with the very helpful feedback on the transportation experience you had from the airport and of course at check-in. We contract our Airport Transportation along with several other Airport Hotels with Bauer Transportation. They normally provide dependable and courteous service. We communicate with them on an ongoing basis to further streamline the services to and from the airport and your feedback will certainly help our ongoing efforts to strive for perfection.

I was very sorry to learn of your disappointing check-in experience. Please accept my apology and promise to follow-up on the unfortunate circumstances.

I hope that you will consider us for a future stay when returning to the Bay area. I would be most pleased to meet you and with my team have an opportunity to better serve you.

Direct - 650-373-7001