“Value Option for Airport Layover”

Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phuket, Thailand
“Value Option for Airport Layover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We tried Crowne Plaza for a layover before traveling back home across the Pacific Ocean. I chose Crowne Plaza because rates at Embassy Suites (where we usually stay) were high for the dates we needed. (Emb Suites - $200 and Crowne Plaza - $119 w/bfast or $98 w/o bfast, we took the rate w/bfast).

The first room we got was very small and so after explaining there was no space in the room for an extra bed to accommodate my wife and two kids and our 8 large bags, they upgraded us. The upgrade room was a one bedroom suite and totally suited our space needs. It surprised me we had to do this cause the room description on the site we booked said room was 350 sq. ft. and Embassy Suites is listed as room size of 380 sq. ft. This wouldn't matter if you were traveling single or as a couple.

This property exceeded my expectations on some things compared to some other properties in this price range we'd tried previously around SFO. The upgrade made my review a 4 rather than a 3. But if we hadn't been upgraded I'd bark a lot louder about these things:

- No refrigerator in room unless you requested it
- No microwave in room again unless you requested it.
- These two missing items made me feel they might be trying to push sales in the restaurant.

Couple good things I'd like to mention:

- Staff were always very courteous and friendly all the way down to the male housekeeper who was cleaning public areas. Practically everyone smiled and said "Hello". This was very pleasant.
- Breakfast was completely acceptable and in fact "good". They had a good selection, especially yummy sausages. And again staff were right on top of everything. Although it's a buffet, we felt more like we were in a full service restaurant and in fact I left a tip.
- Wifi was free and worked very well.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for an efficient friendly place around SFO, you should consider this property.

Happy Traveling

Eric

Room Tip: If you want a refrigerator or microwave in the room, mention it at the time you book so you won'...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear uncle-eric,

We are happy to hear you had a great time while staying at our hotel. Refrigerators are available upon request and always complimentary. We will take your comments into consideration as we plan our upcoming rooms renovation. We are absolutely delighted to hear that our staff was both friendly and courteous to you and your family during your stay. As always, our staff strives to deliver the best service to each and every single one of our guests while traveling. We look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

nnelson@sfocp.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Udine, Italia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is located in near to San Francisco airport. Very easy to be reached from 101 if you drive North, not so easy from the hotel to catch 101 S. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Bathroom in the room is large and with everything you might need. Air conditioning is somewhat noisy. Better to choose a room on the opposite side of the 101, otherwise the noise from outside can disturb a lot. Receptionist are kind and professional. Breakfast is too poor for such a hotel. Overall a good choice if you want to be close to the airport. San Francisco is only 20-25 minutes driving.

Dear gcecotti67,

Thank you for your comments. We have forwarded you feedback regarding our restaurant to our Chef and he will review with his staff. We are happy to hear you had a pleasant time with us while staying at our hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

nnelson@sfocp.com
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Staff was friendly and the location very convenient and the price low. Like other hotels near the airport I This hotel has aged. The wireless internet in my room was extremely bad, although it was okay in the lobby and the restaurant. I did not have breakfast the but I tried the restaurant for diner. The salmon I had was dry an very average. For my next SF trip, l will remain an IHG loyalist, but will try other properties they have in the area. The hotel is okay, but just below what I need to adopt it and decide not to look for alternative.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Pat_Qc_CAN,

Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tokyo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel just one night because the hotels in SF were fully booked and expensive. I arrived at SFO with my colleague after the long flights via LAX at 22:00. I called the hotel and inquired about the next hotel shuttle, and the receptionist said in 15 min. However, we waited for over half an hour outside the terminal, and called the hotel again, the same person said it would be another half an hour. We were about to catch a cab and then the shuttle came suddenly. When we arrived at the hotel, there was yelling conversation at the reception between the guests and the receptionist for some reason. Another receptionist, maybe a manager on duty, was too busy with something else, and answered a new phone before taking care of us. Both receptionists looked very stressed. They may need additional assistants during the night. All these events gave us extra fatigue after the long travel. The room was just OK with no special taste. My room was on the highway side, and the trafic noise was not tolerable. In the morning we when checked out and asked for a conference room, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I did not encounter any major trouble just for the night, but I do not see many reasons to select this hotel again in terms of price, quality of room and restaurants unless there is no other hotel open.

Room Tip: Probably the opposite room from the highway.
1 Thank NiigataTravelLover
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Niigata Travel Lover,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with the very helpful feedback on the transportation experience you had from the airport and of course at check-in. We contract our Airport Transportation along with several other Airport Hotels with Bauer Transportation. They normally provide dependable and courteous service. We communicate with them on an ongoing basis to further streamline the services to and from the airport and your feedback will certainly help our ongoing efforts to strive for perfection.

I was very sorry to learn of your disappointing check-in experience. Please accept my apology and promise to follow-up on the unfortunate circumstances.

I hope that you will consider us for a future stay when returning to the Bay area. I would be most pleased to meet you and with my team have an opportunity to better serve you.

Direct - 650-373-7001
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very comfortable with good service. Some maintenance needed but clean. i'd go back before an early flight, especially with the Burlingame restaurants (decent little downtown with a great selection) a few miutes away.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear CabJax58,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We are delighted to hear that our hotel has met your expectations. Our staff strives for excellence in every way to provide our guests with nothing but the best service possible. We hope you stay with us again in the near future.

Oak Park, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I flew in from Hong Kong, and wanted to sleep before my long drive to Reno. The hotel is clean, and has no smells or issues with staff, and a shuttle that is prompt and efficient. Other than that, it seemed as if the rooms had not been updated, and my biggest complaint was with road noise. There are no nearby restaurants, and the CalTrain station only operates on weekends.

Dear WorldTraveller550,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to hear that our rooms have met your expectations. We apologize that you were able to hear the road noise from your room. We are currently in the final stages of our hotel renovation planning which will include brand new windows in each room. We look forward to you staying with us again so you may be able to enjoy all the new changes we have made.

Dublin 11
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Let's be honest, if you're staying in an airport hotel your stay will be short, and from what I saw the Crowne Plaza is in the hotel district (Burlingame) near the airport. We got a cab costing $17 not realising there was a shuttle bus. What probably distinguishes this from other hotels is that it is within walking distance of Burlingame bars and restaurants and they are worth a visit for your evening meal.

The hotel itself is quite dated but as I say for the price it was adequate. The pool and gym are tiny and we actually didn't use them as there were too many people in it (even though that was only two families!)

There was a shuttle bus to Burlingame even though we didn't realise it's five minutes walk. I would highly recommend Broadway grill for what was the best steak I have ever tasted.

It's on the public transit to San Fran itself but given our stay was one night we didn't avail of this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear PMcDonald,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to hear that you were able to benefit from one of the many nearby attractions our hotel has to offer. We are actually less than 1 mile away from the best restaurants in the area. In regards to your comments on the hotel, we are delighted to share with you that we are in the final stages of our renovation planning which will include a complete upgrade of all sleeping rooms as well as the rest of the hotel. We take your comments seriously and will use them to better ourselves as a hotel.