“Windows leaks cold air” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Windows leaks cold air”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We got stuck at SFO for the night due to United Airlines incompetence. United put us up in this hotel as well as the other 5 people in line before and after us.

Rooms: The windows were leaking cold air. The interior is dated. The dresser had black and wood color with different sized drawers. We moved our beds so that the kids could have a bed against the wall and it was apparent that it was rarely, if ever, cleaned. We didn't even have an ice bucket in 1 of our rooms. The heater blew warm air for about 5 mins and then we had to stop it because it started blowing cold air. We didn't call down to the front desk because they said they were fully booked and more honestly, we were just too tired to care after our 4 hour fiasco with United Airlines. But on a good note, the rooms were quiet and we couldn't hear any neighbors or street noise even being on the 2nd floor.

Staff: The lady checking us in seemed like she had a long day but the concierge was super nice. We wanted to grab some fast food so he called them to see what time they were open til and found a pharmacy in the area. We ran up to our rooms to change and when we were ready to go, he had a cab waiting for us.

Location: 15min shuttle ride to and from SFO.

Value: I didn't even pay and I felt ripped off. Maybe that is the norm with rooms in the $99 range, but I have found much better in that price range.

Reason for stars: If it wasn't so close to the airport and the concierge wasn't so nice, it would be getting a 1. I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and this is probably one of the less attractive ones.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brendan D, Assistant General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Feedthetraveller,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the condition of your room and the windows. Rest assured we are working to correct those issues as quickly as possible.

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our Concierge staff at the Crowne Plaza Hotel they are certainly a great asset to our hotel and our guests alike and I will make sure to recognize them for their efforts.

Thank you again for sharing this information with us and affording us the opportunity to improve our property further. Should you ever be returning to the area please feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to make sure your stay is perfect!

With warmth and hospitality,

Brendan Dixon-Beckett
Asst. General Manager
Direct: 650.373.7054
Email: bdbeckett@sfocp.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Bad smell, cold room, noisy freeway,cold showers, blocked bath tub, drawer with a mind of its own, nasty receptionist(Leila), unfriendly security staff, lousy breakfast!

Only good thing was the driver of the shuttle bus he looked like a little helpful elf on our departure from the hotel on Christmas Eve. Luckily I managed to shower at the airport upperclass lounge which we chose to upgrade to as we didn't get much sleep at the hotel and chose to sleep on the plane.

This was a bad hotel to stay at on our last day in America!! Would not recommend.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Leylahni
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Leylahni,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the noise as well as our facilities and services. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We used the hotel to overnight near the airport due to an early morning flight out of SFO.
Check in was quick, efficient and friendly. The clerk said they would put us in a very quiet area of the hotel.
We were upgraded to the 8th floor. When getting to the 8th floor - the carpets were clean and looked new. When walking to our room there was a sign that said we were entering the quiet zone. The sign noted that they promised not to put any marching bands or cheerleaders in the area.
Although the room was extremely nice, clean and amenities were very nice - the room was a little small. We did order room service, and although they charge 21-23% service fees for room service, the service was quick and the food was good. They offer free shuttle service, starting at 4AM - which was perfect since we had a 6AM flight out. The shuttle driver was very helpful and nice.
I would definitely patronize this property in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear roadwarrior2_11,

Thank you for your kind words, We are happy to hear you had a great experience and that our hotel met your expectations. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I arrived at 11pm. there was no concierge pr luggage trolley so we pushed 6 cases to our room on floor 8.

The room had a strange smell - like smoke or burnt ash. the drawer in the cabinet kept opening on its own. I requested a change & the new room had the same smell. I asked frontdesk to move me to any room without a smell. I found the receptionist rude - that I was the only guest with an issue with the smell. (I wish I had read the review of 5 dec)

It is not my responsibility to check room to room (5 times) to report the smell. Surely housekeeping should inform frontdesk and make these rooms unavailable.

I settled on a room on floor 9 that smelt the least - the corridor smelt as did the furniture ; I wanted to check out some late night sights rather than spend the few hours i had in SF arguing with a rude receptionist and fed up security guard who was assigned to take me room to room.

The room was very cold; the air conditioning was causing the smell to intensify. The windows couldn't be opened and they weren't sound proof. So the noise from the highway was loud to keep me awake most of the night.

The hot water in shower took forever to heat up and the pressure was so weak that I preferred to shower at the airport later.

I was offered complimentary breakfast - the pancakes were partly uncooked and chewy, the strawberries and melon was unripe & the fruit bowl featured pineapple core that is normally binned.

The only thing right about the hotel was the shuttle bus guy who had a lovely smile & behaviour.

I was supposed to have a late checkout but I couldn't stay any longer

This is a hotel from hell.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sâmir B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Sâmir B,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mainz, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Hotel a little bit away from the international airport of SFO.
In this area are a lot of hotels, airport hotels.
Free shuttle bus from the airport.
I don`t like this hotel: location, rooms, restaurants, breakfast buffet - this all are expensive.
Ok for one night (I was waiting for my connecting flight to Honolulu) but not more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MichaelMiles30,

Thank you for your comments. We apologize that our hotel fell short of your expectations. We will use your comments as a tool and use them to better improve ourselves. If there is any further information you would like to share with us about your stay, please feel free to contact me.

Springdale, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here twice and twice I went away without being upset about "something" the hotel did or did not do ... so I give a "A- OK" .. Will go back if in the area for a stay . The restraurant is very good if sometimes understaffed ,,, get the Jumbo Prawns ,, They Rock

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Deadfreds
Dear Deadfreds,

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that our hotel met your expectations. We are also very happy to hear you enjoyed some great prawns while dining in our restaurant. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

One of the worst Crowne Plaza's and in fact hotel I have ever stayed.
Rooms and decor are outdated... shabby, stained carpeting in the rooms. Stained curtains. Outside hotel windows are filthy. Furniture old, chair upholestry tattered and frayed.
Poor water pressure in bathroom..
Worst of all is if you stay on the side of the hotel that has the kitchen, even 8 floors up,, the fumes from the kitchen flow right into your room.. greasy burnt smell permeates in the room.
Hotel needs a major renovation....pretty poor reflection of Crowne Plaza brand.

Room Tip: stay in the even number rooms to avoid the kitchen smells.. but then your are closer to 101 highway...