“Worst shower head”

Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Everything was ok except the water from the shower head way too little. Can't even wash my hair properly. Free shuttle service to the airport, and was quick and frequent. Tv in the room was a bit old and volume was bad. Room service is not 24 hrs and t stops at 11pm.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sylvianni
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Sylvianni,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am pleased that you have given us high scores on Location, Sleep Quality, Cleanliness and Service. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. However, I would like to apologize apologize for any inconvenience the bathroom conditions may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed here only for one night as we were going to leave SF. The hotel is near the airport and there was a free shuttle service that we used for going to the airport. Our room was quite big, and we didn't encounter any problems at the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Frank_Jr_II,

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear you had a great stay with us and look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Norval Nelson
650-373-7001
nnelson@sfocp.com

Reviewed September 24, 2012

For my corp rate of $135 per night, I do not expect duct tape on the guest room floor carpet (floor #4) as well as tissues and debris littering the hallway... I was also disappointed to be told by the front desk agent, Charles, that I could not request to NOT receive a daily newspaper. This apparent "service" is apparently mandatory for Priority Club members... so much for trying to conserve paper and go green.

However, my greatest challenge - and the determining factor to whether I return - was my experience in the hotel lounge. I arrived with a colleague to sit at an empty bar. While very quiet (Monday night, 10pm, 9/24), the bar top was dirty with sticky food items. I ask the bartender (Rowena) to wipe it off and she grabbed a handful of bar napkins and brushed over the area... needless to stay, the sticky stain remained. When our bill came, it was $15 (two glasses of wine). My colleague left a credit card and I inserted $10 cash. Rowena returned the folder with a credit card authorization slip for $15 and no cash. When we questioned her, she advised us that she "assumed" it was a tip for her as that is what her "other customers often do". Really?? I find it hard to believe that ANYONE at the Crown Plaza Burlingame leaves Rowena a 75% tip!! She continued to defend herself by rudely telling us that we had not advised her any differently (umm, she couldn't ask if she didn't understand what is typically pretty normal for other servers). When we requested that she simply refund the card, recharge $7 on it and provide the change from the $10 bill to pay for the second glass (as necessary for our expense accounting), she claimed it was not possible in the system and couldn't I just "pay my friend the $10 and leave it on her card", etc. etc. She even told her colleagues (two males) that "this is CRAZY!" Amazingly, after nearly 10 minutes and lots of mumbling under her breath, she finally refunded the original charge (although she could not provide a receipt so hoping that the refund is truly accurate).

In an economic climate with so many service-oriented people willing to work, I am appalled that Rowena continues to represent Crown Plaza. I am certain there are more service oriented, professional job seekers in the Bay Area. As a former restaurant owner and hotel manager, I believe there is absolutely no excuse for rude, accusatory service and blaming the guest.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LLLTraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear LLLTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our location satisfactory enough for your needs. I regret your experience at our lounge and would like to offer my deepest apology regarding your experience with our staff. Rest assured the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

do not accecpt a room on the top floors as they are only single glazed and you can hear the freeway outside your window. I got room 234 and that was reasonable. For some reason it is telling me i have to have 200 characters as a minimum in this review hence the extra words

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear dp123,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience due to the outside noise. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences and your comments will certainly be looked into.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Hot/cold cups provided for beverages in our room were faulty and or flawed. Hot tea spilled on both my wife and daughter. After paying a $18.00 parking fee I was locked out of the parking lot prior to my departure. I brought this to Managements attention, only not to be taken serious. I will not stay at this chain ever again as my family travels on a regular basis.

Raymond L. Baldonado

Room Tip: Stay at another Hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear RAYMOND B,

Pam G.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here for four nights. It was ok. The room was a little small and dated. We were able to use the airport shuttle to get to the rail system which enabled travel to downtown. If you need a place to sleep, the price was right and the staff was pleasant and helpful.
Think "airport hotel" and you wont be dissatisfied.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Hofman24,

Thank you for your comments. We are happy you encountered no problems during your stay. Please know that we strive to give each of our guests a great experience and if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable upon your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Norval Nelson
650-373-7001
nnelson@sfocp.com

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We've stayed here a few times before and a couple of years ago, the property was under new management and seemed to be improved despite the poor reviews it received back then. Fast forward to now and once again the the property is under new management (or was recently bought) and this time, the staff seemed like they didn't want to be there or was just disgruntled about working. David, the person who checked us in didn't even have our confirmation number on-hand and was going to overcharge us as if we had walked in w/out a reservation. When I figured out the overcharge and called the front desk, he told me to print out my reservation, and walk it down to the front desk. I asked him if I could just show him my email and he said that he needed it to be printed out. Huh? That was the start of our stay at this hotel.

My husband called room service requesting some plates and forks and my husband said the person on the phone sounded like he didn't even want to be there. This is such a big difference of experience from what we've had in the past. The only reason I'm giving two stars is because Leila, the night front desk clerk, was the only person who seemed to care about her job and she helped get the overcharge sorted out.

Lack of customer service will kill a business, especially a hotel. We were scheduled to stay here again soon but I just canceled the reservation and decided to pick one of the many hotels along Old Bayshore Highway or Airport Blvd. We're paying almost $100 more at another hotel but if that $100 means a better experience and happier employees, than it's worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mktg_vixen
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear mktg_vixen,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad you were satisfied with the assistance provided by Leila during your stay and that she was able to address your billing concern. My deepest apologies for the disappointment and issues you had with the service. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen C