“Great Hotel, really nice rooms”

Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
Seattle, Washington
“Great Hotel, really nice rooms”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Liked staying in Burlingame a lot more than I had anticipated. Burlingame had a lot of cute restaurants on Broadway, I would recommend eating there rather than the hotel restaurant.

The hotel had really expensive parking with a gate that didn't always work. We tried to save some money by staying in the Park & Fly lot adjacent, which we found was connected to the hotel lot. This worked out great, except that every morning, the ticket couldn't be read by the reader. You can avoid this by paying at the front desk before you leave. A minor inconvenience, but saved us $9 per day.

The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable. I just wished there was cheaper parking and free wi-fi. Those are pretty standard amenities at other airport hotels. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I stayed here between 18th-21st Sept 2010. I chose this hotel due to the reviews on TA but more of the fact that all good hotels in the city were fully booked for the Oracle conference. I shall share my impression/ experience of the good/ bad about this hotel.

Good
- close to airport
- free shuttle to airport (which I didn't use), and therefore access to the BART station to go into the city

Bad
- very poor and rude customer service. The check-in staff was rude and unwelcoming and didn't even explain why I didn't get the executive room which I booked - more explanation about this to follow.

- I booked an executive room, which on the Hilton website says located on the 14th/15th floor and includes access to executive lounge and breakfast. I was put on the 12th floor without any explanation, and no explanation of how I was to obtain my free breakfast. I queried this subsequently on the night I checked in but the unhelpful staff at front desk didn't even bother to check my booking and simply stated that booking through expedia don't have included breakfast and made me feel stupid for asking, when he was in fact the one who's wrong. I double-checked my booking and found out with I should be in fact be on the executive floor (14/15th floor) rather than 12th, and when I queried the staff again the next day I was told the hotel was busy with the conference and hence why i was put on the 12th floor instead of what I paid for. Rather poor service and intended to deceive me, would have appreciated an explanation at the initial check-in, esp when I paid the much inflated-price for the stay due to the conference and high demand for room in SF at the time.

- a few hidden charges to watch out for. Was given a code for wireless internet access and wasn't told there is a charge to use it. Also, bottles of water in the room provided but unsure whether it's complimentary, and was told different it was free/ charge by different staffs so ended up not drinking them just to be sure I won't be charged.

- noisy air-con in the room and ventilation in the shower didn't work. The latter was fixed the next day but still inadequate as evident by the fact the shower mirror was completely fogged after a hot shower. Could only manage to sleep with ear plugs with the noisy air-con in operation.

So overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel, mainly due to poor customer service (poor manner, attitude and knowledge) from the staff and made to feel unwelcome, the only exception being the cleaning staff who are also always friendly and greet customers every time we walked pass them- may be the front desk staff should be given the same training. Sleep quality was poor due to noisy air-con, and had to think twice before using anything due to hidden charges.

There are much better hotels in the city and if you want to stay around the airport region, there are much better-located hotels around, so no reason to stay at this hotel,

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soulighter
The_GM_HiltonSFO, General Manager at Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for the difficulties you encountered during your stay with us. I can assure you we make every effort to provide outstanding service to all our guests and the fact that you encountered poor and rude service is unacceptable. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you at your convenience. You may reach me at my direct line 650-340-9179 or email me at john.kellites@hiltonsfo.com.
Regards,
John C. Kellites / General Manager
sydney
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Close to the Airport, which is just what you need if you arrive to San Francisco late in the afternoon. The rooms were smaller than expected for a Hilton, but elegant, clean and comfortable enough. Very simple furniture, well maintained and flat screen TV.
We ordered a room service for dinner, but can't say that we were impressed. The food was nothing special (very deep fried..) and pricey.
We only stayed one night so didn't have chance to explore other facilities of the hotel.
The staff were courteous and attentive.
Recommended given the convenience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed September 24, 2010

It was my last night after three day conference at the Hilton. I had to get up by 4 am to catch a early flight but the broken faucet (water was running all night) kept me annoyed and awake all night. The engineer was off site and the front desk didn't seem apologetic.
Also, the management had changed during planning phase of the conference causing mass confusion with room charges for the conference members.
I usually like staying at Hilton, but I was very disappointed with the front desk service and room maintenance issue with this particular Hotel. (clogged bath tub and broken faucet)
The only good thing about this hotel was location close to the airport overlooking beautiful bay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AlisaNSeattle
Sydney
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Made a booking to stay in an executive room. Hilton website provides two different versions as to when the executive lounge is open, depending on what page or photo you look at, 1. Monday - Friday only, 2. breakfast seven days and evenings Mon- Fri.

I emailed the Salesthe hotel and a week later received a response saying "It is open 7 days" I then queried if this also applies to the evening presentation, to date no response hasd been received. I emailed the manager one week ago, and again no response. I the called the hotel from Australia and was hung up on when I asked.
I am so disappointed as this hotel looks quite good now, but, the customer service is apalling, needless to say I have now cancelled my booking.

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank CraigLloydP
The_GM_HiltonSFO, General Manager at Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
I apologize for the confusion and the poor response you have experienced to your inquires. I did respond to your e-mail dated 9/16 on 9/18 however it appears my reply did not successfully reach you. Please be assured we are committed to responding to our guest in a timely manner and are investigating where we failed in regards to your inquires. I do hope you will consider contacting me directly at 650-340-9179 or my e-mail john.kellites@hiltonsfo.com. It would be our pleasure to welcome you to our hotel in December and do hope you will reconsider your travel plans to include us.
Regards,
John C. Kellites
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I was disgusted from the minute I arrived to the minute I left. Nobody told me I had to pay an extortionate deposit for every night & it's the first hotel I've known make such a big deal of it. Front desk staff & manager were incredibly rude & made us feel unwelcome. Hotel was hideous! You really wouldn't know it'd ever been refurbished. It's trapped in a 70s time warp & everything was as battered as if it really had been around since the 70s. Corridors are like a prison. Don't think the bathroom had been cleaned, there were marks on toilet seat & sink overflow was moudly and black with dirt. Bath so old the bottom was black. Valance sheets on the beds were covered in stains. There were stains on furniture, walls & the unrequested connecting door. The maid clearly hadn't dusted anywhere she thought people wouldn't notice. This is also the noisiet hotel I've ever stayed at, the noise from the airport was unbelievable & doors & walls were so thin I could hear everything from every direction. Sleep was impossible and beds uncomfy. Paid for a bay view but had to crane my neck to see further than the airport car park & dirty lake. The pool's tiny, claustrophobic & dirty. Burlingame shuttle's good but only runs 11:47-7:51, and without that or a car you're stuck at the hotel in the middle of nowhere. I was here for the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View & the only reason I stayed here was because the reviews are so good (I have no idea why). So I was miles away from what I came for, stuck in a disgusting hotel I didn't want to be in. It's nothing like its pictures and I'd never recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank greenday41
The_GM_HiltonSFO, General Manager at Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
I am terribly sorry your stay with us was anything less than exceptional. My team and I are committed to ensuring each of our guests has an outstanding experience and when this is not the case we are committed to doing what we can to correct the matter. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter with you personally. Please contact me at 650-340-9179 at your convenience. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to speak with you soon. Regards, John Kellites / General Manager
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I'd stay here again when I visit San Fran. It's convenient to airport as well as interstate. It took us less than 20 minutes to drive downtown. I don't normally write reviews but hotel & staff were great. Oh yes, food was great too in hotel restaurant

• Stayed August 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlingame
DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport (SFO) - Waterfront
The Westin San Francisco Airport

Been to Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront? Share your experiences!