“Deliciously Different”

Cuisines: Afghani
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

On a recent trip to the San Francisco area we decided to try the Kabul Afghan Restaurant in Burlingame. We made reservations for four on a Sunday evening. When we arrived it was not too busy but it gradually picked up so reservations are probably advisable. Appetizers were inexpensive, but fairly small. We sampled the Mantoo (ground lamb filled dumplings) and the Pakawra-e-badenjan (eggplant with meat sauce). Both were very good. We then moved on to the Kababs, sampling the lamb, chicken and shrimp. All three were excellent, with very generous portions. In addition one of our party had the Shish Leek (which is essentially a lamb stew). It too was very good. For desert three of us had the very excellent Baklava. The other member of our group had the elephant ear, which I would not recommend. All in all it was an excellent meal at a fairly reasonable cost. The location is right down town Burlingame and has a very nice décor. I definitely hope to return to this restaurant.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been coming here for 5 years and the food is very good - especially the pumpkin with yogurt and meat sauce! The seasonings are perfect! I would recommend you order at least two! The rest of the menu is also very good. I especially like the chicken and lamb stews. Very nice spices and vegetables!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

While traveling in the area, we went to Kabul for dinner with some friends who live in Burlingame. They chose it and I didn't know anything about the restaurant or Afghan food before stepping in the door. It exceeded all my expectations. My wife and I are vegetarian and they have plenty of options for us. The meat eaters in the group had shrimp, lamb and chicken and all enjoyed their food as well. All the dishes we had were stews that they serve with rice.

If you're vegetarian, get the veg combo platter - definitely get the pumpkin and cauliflower, then choose between spinach and eggplant.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed in Burlingame for a night before flying out of SFO after a week long stint in the Bay area. Found this restaurant on TA and gave it a try.
WOW! Simply put, Kabul Afghan serves up truly delicious kabobs. We ordered family-style and everyone loved the food, including all 3 of my young children.
As mentioned in other reviews, the pumpkin is excellent, but I actually preferred the sabsi! So tasty. And the salmon, lamb, chicken, beef kabobs......all were excellent.

We ate at some of the best restaurants in San Fran and Carmel.
Kabul Afghan easily ranks right up there with them, if not ahead.
And downtown Burlingame is an enjoyable little area to walk around.
Do yourself a favor and stop by this gem.

1  Thank KeithB010
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Tried this place based on reviews and my interest in trying this unusual cuisine. I can said it lives up to its reputation. Good vegetarian selections to boot. Couple of cautionary notes. Ask for the bread if you like it with your salad which comes with the entree otherwise the bread comes with the meal. The road that leads to restaurant is under construction, so you will have to skirt various obstacles to find parking. And finally, be prepared for a tight squeeze as the tables are set quite close together.