“Great desserts, sandwiches and cakes; not so nice to chat - really noisy,”

Porto's Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 15 Dessert in Burbank
Cuisines: Cuban, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great desserts, sandwiches and cakes; not so nice to chat - really noisy,”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

I hadn't been in Cali for 8 months, and met a friend here yesterday for lunch. As always on a holiday weekend, the lines for ordering a cake, pastries and sandwiches/ drinks were really long BUT moved swiftly. In the 20 minutes I was in line, moved from the back of the line to the front of the line, just as my friend arrived. Getting a table for 2 was fast as there were several tables for two, but if you need a table for more than 4, prepare to wait for a table. We got our sandwiches ( media noche ) and mango smoothy quickly, but it was getting crazy with folks standing next to your table, eying you as you tried to enjoy your food and chat. Needless to say, if you want a leisurely meal or relaxing place to be, this is NOT it. It's better to grab your food, then eat outside or elsewhere as the noise level can make it hard to talk or hear your companion.....even at lunch time on weekdays, allot yourself additional time to park, then get a table after you place your order....

The food as always was GREAT! I have had the media noche sandwich and hot pork sandwiches which were really good :-). I LOVE their mango mouse cake (talk about exemplary presentation!) and mango mouse individual servings......I love their small fruit tarts and big fruit tarts for parties. Their chocolate plaques to add a birthday, congratulations, or other sentiment on your cake/s are pretty as well as yummy edible.

They have plenty of staff to take orders? You get a server who will take your orders for cakes, etc but note for faster service, they have a cakes only order line, pick up line for those who pre order, and a other line for just drinks, sandwiches, etc. note however that if you tip your server ( they take questions about any food item you wish to try and get your order ready for the cashiers to ring up, so why not tip?) and pay by credit card, they will not add your tip to the final bill - you have to have cash for the server/s.....

Not ideal for visiting with someone while eating a meal BUT the quality, presentation and taste of all their items are excellent, so even with the lines, try this spot for so good and pretty to eat desserts....for a different snack, try their friend plantain bananas...but everything is really good - hot potato balls (potato, ground meat and touch of cheese), cream cheese rolls ( light fluffy cream cheese pastry) and meat pies ( fluffy light pastry with ground beef) are my go to faves to eat, or take for meetings and parties. They are always a party pleaser and I never can have enough....

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Toms River, New Jersey
“A must to try !”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Not just a bakery. Their empanadas and meat pies were delicious. But their meat filled potato balls were fantastic! Their sandwiches looked good too. Be prepared to stand in line. We waited all week before we finally saw that the line was not out the door and down the street! A great value for the money. We had 2 empanadas, 2 meat pies, 2 potato ball, & 2 drinks for a little over $10.00. We regretted not trying their pastries. Will definitely go there on our next visit.

Columbia, South Carolina
“Ya gotta go!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Stopped by for a late lunch on recommendation from a local merchant. She warned me not be concerned about the long line. She was right! Ordered quickly, received tea and pastry immediately. Had to wait for steak sandwich which came hot and as ordered. Sandwich could have used a little more flavor but still good. The chocolate almond cake? Absolutely delicious! I'm back on the east coast and which I could have more of that cake now and tomorrow......

• Visited August 2014
“Delicious food for a good price!”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Porto's was recommended to me by my brother who lives in the area. I was hesitant as I'm pretty picky about my sandwiches, however, I need to just start trusting my brother. Lol.

This place was amazing!!! And priced pretty well... For two of is, it was about $19! I got the hot pastrami (popular item on their menu as well as their Cuban sandwich) and my cousin got the grilled chicken sandwich. We also got a side of 6 potato balls (because everyone told me I needed to have this in my life, lol) and a small chicken empanada! The portions of the sandwiches are pretty good sized! Both of us were only able to finish half of our sandwiches. I had two potato balls, which is mashed potatoes with a beef filling rolled into a ball with a batter and deep fried to perfection. The batter isn't heavy, a little layer that was quite flakey and just the perfect amount of it!

And the upside of this place? It's mom & pop owned with only about 3 locations (all in Southern California)!

Will return whenever I'm in the area!

Anchorage, Alaska
“Great food”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Brought back memories all the delicious food at Porto's from the stuffed potatoes to the cuban sandwiches, everything we had was awesome, we visited several times during our stay.

Visited August 2014