“Frequent Traveller says this hotel is the worst!”

Holiday Inn Burbank
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
Lithia, FL
“Frequent Traveller says this hotel is the worst!”
Reviewed May 17, 2008

As a frequent priceline user I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. The Holiday Inn Burbank needs to be knocked down and start over again. To start off with the decor is extremely dated, I can get over that if it didnt smell dated. Throughout the hotel there is a certain odor similar to mildew everywhere you turn. Upon check in the staff was very friendly. The gentlemen handed me my key and said to take the elevator to the 18th floor and walk up a few stairs to the 19th floor where my room was. When I asked him about the stairs he said dont worry, its just a few stairs. He pointed me to the left and off I went with my three bags. I made it up the elevator to the 18th floor wondering why a 19 floor hotel only has elevators going to the 18th. I get off and start looking for these so called stairs. They are nowhere to be found. I found a housekeeping staff member and she pointed me to the end of the hall. I walked down the hall and found a door that said Fire Exit. I went out that door to find myself outside on a small balcony facing another door. I went in that door fearful I'd be locked out but that wasn the case. Once inside the 2nd door there were stairs. I dragged my 3 bags up the stairs to find another black door and went through this door. Please note, not one of these doors said anything like "this way to the 19th floor" nor were there any signs to that effect. I walked up and down the hall looking for my room 1924 and could not find it. The rooms went to 1921 only. Finally I gave up, I walked back down the 2 sets of stairs to the 18th floor and called the front desk where I was put on hold. After 10 minutes I hung up and trekked all the way back down to the front desk. Upon getting there I told the manager what happened and he pointed me the other direction apologizing that his staff member sent me to the wrong tower. So... again, I walked what seemed like a mile to the elevators, went to the 18th floor, got off and looked for the unmarked black doors only to not find anything. Eventually after walking up and down two very long unmarked hallways I found a black door with no markings. I went through it, found another black door, went through that one and was now standing OUTSIDE again on a balcony, went through the next black door, up two sets of stairs with my 3 bags and then threw the final black door to find myself stairing at the door to my room finally. This whole expedition took over 40 minutes!! Not only was I now late for a business dinner but when I walked into the room I found a dank, mildew smelling room. The room was large but sparse. Thank goodness I didnt have to spend much time here as the entertainment was a little 22" TV very far from the bed on a horrible angle in an armoire.

Bottomline, this place is the worst hotel I've seen in a very long time and while I generally stay in 4 star hotels I've had very good 3 star experiences with Priceline so I took a chance. This hotel is NOT a 3 star hotel. I travel 2 to 4 times a month on business and 3 to 5 vacations a year with my family so I do consider myself an expert on hotel accomodations. If you can help it DO NOT stay at the Burbank Holiday Inn. I would NOT consider priceline again in this area for fear of getting this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Mildew smelling Rooms and having to walk stairs to the 19th floor to find my room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Springfield, MO
Reviewed April 29, 2008

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor I wasn't sure what to expect when we arrived at the hotel. We got in town early and checked into our room around noon. The guy that checked us in was super friendly and there were no issues with letting us check in early. The room was as described - not fancy but clean and in line with lots of other hotels I have stayed at across the country.

My heartfelt thanks goes out to all of the employees that were working the afternoon of Saturday April 5th. My daughter had a seizure, caused by a fever, and in less than 5 minutes they had an ambulance there at the hotel. While the whole experience was extremely scary the staff at the Burbank Holiday Inn did an excellent, professional job of handling the situation.

We ate breakfast at the hotel on Sunday morning. Everything I had off the buffet was fresh and very tasty! Their bacon was even crisp on the buffet!

I would definately recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Liked — Lots of shops & restaurants within walking distance
  • Disliked — Slightly dated, pool was outside
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
Reviewed March 20, 2008

The room was nice and large. It had a lot of closet space, 2 tables - that part was great.

The bad experiences - for one, every time you park you need to get your ticket validated at the front desk. It was a hassle to go to the front desk every time. They should have provided a parking pass or something with the dates of your stay. Second issue - on the second night of my stay I was awoken with loud banging noises. I called the front desk at 3:15 am (luckily my 5 1/2 yr old didn't hear it). She told me it was the wind and she'd send up security. I called back because it was so loud. Another person answered and said some bolts were missing on some of the doors and my floor happened to be one with the issue. He asked if I wanted to switch rooms but I said no since I didn't want to wake my son. He then said he'd go up and latch the doors. Finally 45 minutes later I was able to go back to sleep, so I assumed he fixed it. Another issue - the hot water. Turning it all the way on the H got warm water, not hot. Last issue - on the final night I called the concierge asking where there was a sit down Mexican restaurant around. I said like an El Torito. He told me Baja Fresh, La Salsa, but those were fast food types. He couldn't give me any suggestions. I went on the downtown Burbank webstie and easily found Chevy's myself. I told the guy at the front desk later to let his concierge know. He seemed shocked they didn't know. Last thing was I couldn't find a pair of earrings. I can't say 100% sure it was stolen because I can't remember when or where I took them off last, but I wonder if it was housekeeping. I didn't say anything since again I couldn't remember where I last removed them, although I though it was in the bathroom (or maybe they fell off somehow).

The staff was friendly but those little issues did take away from my overall satisfaction.

• Liked — size of room
  • Disliked — water didn't get warm enough, parking validation, issues I had
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
San Jose, CA
Reviewed March 9, 2008

At this "3 Star" hotel, it seems that Priceline guests are treated like second class citizens who get the worst room location. Our room (1720) shared the common wall with the elevator shaft. The elevators are old, loud, and when in operation (constantly) you could feel a rumble that shook the bed. We didn't get much restful sleep. I can't believe Holiday Inn would allow the rooms in this area to be used for their paying customers. I'm sure there has been many complaints in the past. Coupled with noise (above) from what sounded like a spray paint compressor motor that ran from 7:30AM to 10:15PM each day, it was the noisiest hotel ever. After complaining to the front desk, nothing could be done and no other rooms were available. At 9:45PM there's no desk supervisor available or any sign of staff follow up with our complaint. Next time I would pay more and stay at a Marriott Hotel, at least you know what you're getting before you arrive.

• Liked — Not much to like
  • Disliked — Room next to elevator shaft was too noisy and shook the bed.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Burbank hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. Booked it on Priceline for a very reasonable rate. There was no "Priceline effect." if you will, regarding room assignment and staff interaction. I was somewhat apprehensive about staying there after reading so many negative reviews, however we were pleasantly surprised.

While the hotel's decor is admittedly somewhat dated, overall we were very happy with our stay. The rooms were large, clean, and we were not able to detect any smokey residue in our non-smoking room.

Breakfast was quite good, with a reasonable buffet and excellent service. The front desk personnel were all friendly. Parking was free and right at the hotel, both factors which made the somewhat cumbersome validation system more than tolerable.

Finally, the location is very nice. There is an abundance of shopping and restaurants within walking distance. We were in town for a wedding so we didn't have much time to take advantage of this, however the simple freeway access was very nice.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
ohio
Reviewed November 19, 2007

The Holiday Inn Burbank is in a great location and the hotel is decent. Our room was clean and well maintained but even though we were on a non-smoking floor the whole hotel smells smokey. Free parking was nice.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank hawkorange
La Crosse
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Do not stay at this property! The staff is rude. The sheets were dirty and stained. There was hair all over the bathroom and a glass with a lipstick smudge on it. The consierge yells at the staff in the lobby in front of the customers. The most horrific thing, though, was the resteraunt. I saw a rat in the resteraunt and I told the waiter whose only reply was "Cool." I talked to the manager and he did nothing about it. Corporate wouldn't either! Disgusting!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was unclean! Horrible!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank jkkatt