“Perfect Service”

Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for the Battlestar Galactica Convention 2007, which was being held at the hotel's attached convention center. I brought two guests. While this hotel has
a few problems, I'm rating it a 5.0 for the absolutely fantastic service I received.

I initially made my reservation for a suite at the Convention rate (half of the usual rate) several months prior to the trip. This reservation requested two double beds. A couple months later, I had to change the reservation to one king bed, same suite room, same rate,
even though the convention rooms had been sold out. Specifically, they
still honored my original convention rate for the suite, no question.

Just prior to the trip, I got sick. Very sick. However, as my two guests were pumped to go, and most of what I had been spent was non-refundable, I still made the trip. I owe this hotel a great deal for their actions while I was there. First, we arrived and got our room within 5 minutes, no problems, exactly what I had reserved. My third guest was sleeping on the fold-out couch bed, which was lacking sheets. A call to the front desk resulted in someone at our door in less than 10 minutes, with sheets, extra pillows, a comforter, extra towels, and extra robes, just for kicks. Room service was impeccable every time we ordered, normally arriving within 45 minutes and very professional.

The first morning we were there, we decided I needed to get some medication badly for my illness. The hotel recommended a local pharmacy a mile away and we walked there, only to find it closed and out of business. Upon returning to the hotel, we called the front desk
with this problem, and within 10 minutes, security was at the door to our room, and escorted my guests to a shuttle provided by the hotel, which took them to another pharmacy several miles away, waited for them, and helped them carry the supplies back to the room. They never questioned this nor did they charge for it.

At one point, my guests decided I needed chicken noodle soup. They went to the attached restaurant and asked about it, the restaurant was
generally concerned for my well-being and said they'd have it the next
day as a special, for now they had Lobster Bisque, as much as I needed, any special requests they would honor as soon as possible as quickly as possible.

Several times during our stay, the front desk called only to ask how I was doing, and if I needed anything delivered to the room, if there was anything else they could do for me. I was very comforted by this,
and very, very impressed that they were so attentive. In the end, as I said, I remained very sick for the duration of the trip. Without getting too specific, one night my nose started bleeding while I slept. The sight was not pretty in the morning, and the pillowcases
/sheets were probably ruined. I have never heard any complaints from the hotel, nor have I received any extra charges.

Yes, there are some concerns. I had no problem with the renovations that are still ongoing. The hotel specifically set aside a large
"quiet room" in the lobby area with free snacks and drinks for convention attendees. However, even without this room, I never heard any noise. The restaurant servers were a bit inattentive. The parking
price of $14.00 a day is pretty outrageous, luckily we didn't need the
parking. We did use the broadband (not wireless, just regular ethernet
broadband), which yes is an also outrageous $9.95 per 24 hours - per computer. Meaning if you have 3 people with laptops, it'll ask each one for $9.95, however the front desk said they would remove the extra
charges and did so. However, $30 for three days of wired internet is pretty crazy in this day and age.

However, these pricing issues aside (it is southern California after all), the hotel staff was basically perfect, and they get a 5.0 rating
from me.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank marsala50
There are newer reviews for Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport

Reviewed November 17, 2007

I have been coming to this Hotel for the past 5 years for a dance convention. This year the Hotel changed from being a Hilton to a Marriott. It was nice when it was a Hilton, but it is great as a Marriott (except for the restaurant which I'll get to later). Even though the hotel was full from the convention, we were able to check in early. The front desk staff was courteous and took our cell phone numbers to call us when the rooms were available. Check in was a breeze.

The rooms have been completely remodeled and are beautiful. The bed must have had 10 pillows on it. Everything was brand new from all the fixtures in the bathrooms to the carpet and furniture. There was a huge, maybe 42" inch, flat screen LCD TV in the room. The bed was extremely comfortable and had a down covering and every kind of pillow you could want. The room also had robes for guests to use. The hotel is right across the street from the airport and shuttles were available.

The only drawback was the restaurant. I have eaten there numerous times before and have always had a good experience. This time was a very bad experience. The prices have increased tremendously, the service was very poor, and the food was mediocre. They have the same menu as they did when they were the Hilton, but they must have a new cook and manager. My food was cold and it took forever to get it. When we were there the restaurant was almost empty so I don't know what the problem was. However we solved the problem by only eating there once and not going back.

About a mile away is a huge shopping center with numerous restaurants such as Marie Callender's and Outback Steakhouse. I suggest you go there.

Even though the restaurant experience was bad, we enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed November 15, 2007

I made a reservation at the Burbank Marriott for two double beds for one night. When my male traveling buddy and I checked in at 6:30 p.m., we were told very matter of factly that the hotel was out of double beds and we were being given one king bed to share! When I stated that my reservation was for two doubles, the receptionist informed us that my request was simply a "preference" and not an actual "reservation" for two beds! Huh?! Without further apology or any (I repeat ANY) overture to accommodate us without making us share a bed, the receptionist also stated he would be charging us $14.00 to park in the hotel's parking lot! We were standing at the desk in disbelief since within 60 seconds we had been told the Burbank Marriott doesn't really honor "reservations", we could share a bed AND he was going to charge us to park in the hotel's lot to boot! Lousy, lousy customer service, and I will NEVER stay at this Marriott again. By the way, the Burbank Airport parking lot is LITERALLY across the street and only charges $9.00 per day to the general public. As a guest, the Marriott charged us $14.00. Also, we later found the WiFi offered in the lobby costs you another $9.95. Overall, it was just a lousy experience with no demonstrated customer service awareness or recovery for not honoring a reservation and inconveniencing people.

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank OnTheGoGuy
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Spent a couple of nights here—when it was still a Hilton—for a state-agency conference in which I co-facilitated one of the two-day sessions.

The good was the convention center itself. Ballroom and breakout room sizes as well as furnishing comfort rival those found in downtown L.A., in Long Beach, and in Anaheim.

The bad were the sleeping rooms, mediocrity to the max. And then there's the hotel's isolation from just about everything except the airport, as other reviewers have noted.

The downright UGGGHLY was the parking. Popping in a "Greatest Hits of the '70s" or Billy Preston CD with "Will It Go Round In Circles" (with the track set on the repeat button) is the perfect background music for the invariable "Adventures in Driver Aggravation" as you loop around the lot at least a dozen times, day or night, to find a space big enough to avoid door ding or the bumper bash! (It's no accident that "Adventures..." reduces to the acronym ADA—also for the Americans With Disabilities Act, under which you'll surely need at least temporary psychiatric accommodations after the other ADA game in and around this HIlton-cum-Marriott!!)

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2007

I booked this through Priceline and got a pretty good rate. However, on arrival I surprised at the exorbitant charge for parking. The weird thing is that they charge less if you use the lot for airport parking. I have no problem paying high parking prices in a big city but this is in a dead area of town. They are building a small shopping center across the street which should put something in walking distance. I also have a problem with the internet. A business-class hotel should not be charging for internet access in the room and should most certainly be offering wireless in every room.
I would stay here again but would not recommend if paying rack rates.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 23, 2007

We had two seperate stays here at the Airport Marriott, the first for two days when we arrived in Burbank to visit family, then after a three day stay at Disneyland, we returned to Burbank for another three days. When we first arrived, the hotel could not locate my first reservation - however they were able to locate my second. When I returned home, I discovered the error was mine, during a change in car reservations, I accidently canceled the hotel. Althougth I had no reservation, the Marriott not only found me a room, they upgraded me to a suite for the inconvenience. And they did it quickly - no waiting around. The room was beautiful, clean and quiet, even though it's directly across the street from the airport. Turndown service included chocolate covered pretzels and truffles. When we checked out of our first stay, we requested the same room for our return trip and notified them that we would be coming in late (Disneyland- you want to spend every possible moment!)- we were told they were re-carpeting but that the room should be available when we return. We did not make it back until after 9pm and as we walked in the lobby, heard some people discussing that their rooms were not available and they were being sent to another hotel. This scared us...we were so tired. We got to the desk and were told, with very sincere appologies, that the carpeting had been delayed and they were short rooms, but had booked us into the Universal City Hilton. They also offered to drive us over. Since we had not yet unpacked our car, we declined the ride and were given directions to the Hilton. It was a short drive, when we arrived, our room was ready, the Marriott had picked up the cost of valet parking and there was a beautiful fruit basket in the room. The Hilton was a much more expensive room than we had at the Marriott, and the staff was very nice - if I need something closer to Universal Studios next time, I will definetely go there. We took advantage of the location change and visited City Walk the next morning, before returning to our hotel at the Marriott ( it's only a couple blocks from mom's house - that's why we wanted to be there.) Not only was our newly carpeted room ready, but the staff gave us coupons for a free breakfast and a $50 gift certificate for dinner at the Daily Grill - a restaurant we love, great steaks & martini's! And that night, there was a bottle of wine in our room, delivered with turn down service. All in all, they could not have been nicer. A wonderful experience and this will be my hotel of choice from now on!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank SacBurbank
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Renovations still continue, so the place is still a bit upside down. I stayed on a floor (as Marriott Gold) that was in the midst of renovation so it was a pretty ugly site. The room itself had been very nicely refurbished and for being so near the airport, it was for the most part, quiet, however, when I got into the bathroom, there were discarded used bottles of the complimentary shampoo and soap on the floor and in the shower.... ugh. I scooped them up, tossed them and then realized they had also not been replaced.... and of course wondered if the place had been cleaned after it had been used previously. It was late and did not want to go through the hassle of switching rooms and such..... but still, a bit strange....
Maybe they will have their act a bit more together as they wrap up the renovations. If you need to fly out of BUR early or just need a place to land on that side of the hill, should suit your needs. No more than a business hotel however, dirve a few more miles and hit the Hollywood Renaissance for fun and r&r.

Stayed: September 2007