“Great hotel...great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
TX
“Great hotel...great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2006

We were vacationing in southern CA for a week and wanted to spend a couple of days in LA, so I checked Trip Advisor for a good hotel in a good location at a reasonable price. Based on the positive ratings from this site, we chose the Best Western. It's in a fantastic location...only a few blocks from the TV studios and less than 2 miles from Universal. The checkin process was easy, and they offered free high-speed internet. Two big money savers that most other hotels didn't offer - free underground parking and also a free continental breakfast. Other hotels in the area were charging up to $20/day for parking. The hotel itself is relatively simple, but the rooms are very large and comfortable and featured a refrig as well. My wife is very picky when it comes to finding hotels that are clean and bug free. She had no complaints about the Best Western, and she slept well, which made my life easier as well. Nothing in LA is cheap, but this was a great value compared to other hotels. The only complaint I'd say is that they don't allow any type of early checkin w/o a fairly steep penalty. I'd strongly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location, free breakfast, free parking, free high-speed internet
  • Disliked — View from bedroom window
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FriscoGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2006

Stayed in this hotel for three nights. We were in a suite--two rooms, a shared bath and a living room/dining room. The suite, including the bathroom, was very clean. The accommodations are not fancy, but I was impressed with the cleanliness. Heard no noise from surrounding rooms, housekeeping was fine, lots of channels on the tube and there are plenty of places to eat in the area. There is underground parking, too. The business center consists of one computer terminal, but I never saw anyone in there. I used it briefly and it was convenient. There is a continental breakfast and that was nice. The usual fare to eat and a big TV to watch while you dine. Overall, the experience was very positive and I'd definitely return for a stay.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Speed of elevator
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Voyageur510
Boise
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2006

Nice location, clean room, great parking but this hotel is cheaply built what I mean is that if you are staying on the 2nd or 3rd floor you may get a complaint from the people below you because each step you take in the room is amplified underneath because of cheap I assume plywood construction. If you are on the floor with rooms above you will hear the people above you as they walk or bounce on the bed. We will not stay there again.

• Liked — Parking
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable feeling
  • Tips/Secrets — None
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Boisetourist
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2006

The hotel is in a great location - near Burbank airport, walking distance from Warner Bros studio. It was also close to transportation. (I didn't have a car so I took buses and cabs everywhere.)
The positive side, the room I had was lovely. Very reasonable priced as well.

Unfortunately, there were a few negative things. (Thankfully, none of these were bad enough to ruin my stay)
As someone else noted, the pool is very tiny. You really couldn't have more than a couple of people in it at a time.

The breakfast was pretty lame. Only toast ( with only one type of bread ) and a few sugary pastries. - not even muffins or bagels. They did have some cereal, yoghurt and some fruit. I noticed that even by 9Am there wasn't much food left and the staff didn't seem too interested in replenishing it. (It was supposed to be available until 9:30)Several times I noticed that they actually locked the door at 9:25 and were not all that polite about sending people away.

The desk staff (other than the young lady that checked me in - who was great) seemed pretty clueless. Half the time there was noone at the front desk. Several times I had to wait quite a while from someone to appear. One young man at the desk didn't seem to speak English and didn't seem to know anything. (Rather a problem if you are working the main desk in a hotel.) Everytime I asked a question, he would disappear for 5 or 10 minutes to look for the manager. The real classic was when I asked to check out 1/2 hour later than the regular noon checkout. (I was taking a Warner Bros studio tour which ended at 12:15) I was informed that it would cost me $38. (For 1/2 hour!!! Forget that!) I hurriedly repacked my suitcases and then asked to have my bags stored until I came back. This same young man told me to just leave my bags in the hallway and they would put them away when they had time. Needless to say, I objected and insisted that they store my bags somewhere more secure than the middle of the hallway! (He seemed quite surprised when I objected)

Everytime I asked for a cab, I got the impression that I was apparently asking for something highly unusual. More than once I asked for a cab at a specific time and it arrived WAY earlier than I wanted. Again, they didn't seem to understand that there was a reason that I wanted to leave at a certain time.

This would be a great hotel if they could manage to get some staff that understood something about customer service.

• Liked — Hotel room very nice - also good location
  • Disliked — Most of the staff were not very helpful
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kccltd
Hagerstown MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2006

We just completed a week-long stay at the Best Western Media Center Inn, and found the hotel to have both good and bad points. I would say it is definitely good for a chain hotel, but if you are expecting frills, keep looking.

First the good. Free Parking, probably saved us $100 for the week. Free wireless internet, probably saved us another $75 or so. Free continental breakfast. Nothing to write home about, but it was free. Micro-Fridge included in room at no extra charge. Bed & pillows were great, probably the best I've ever slept on in a mid-tier hotel. Shower had good water pressure. Location was great, right off CA-134 but no highway noise. Walking distance to Warner Brothers, NBC, and lots of restaurants. Ten minute drive to Universal Studios and Burbank airport. Free fitness center onsite. All non-smoking rooms. We had a king bed, pull out sofa, chair, coffee table, desk/chair and TV, and plenty of room to move around. Digital thermostat allows you to control your own room temperature. Individually controlled room-darkening blinds let you keep out the morning sun. Iron, ironing board, coffee maker, and hair dryer were included as well. The hotel was booked solid the first night we were there (power outage in the area) but we heard nothing from either adjoining room, and very little noise from the hallway.

Now the bad. While the shower had good pressure, the water temperature tended to fluctuate a bit. Never froze me or scalded me, but I usually had to adjust it a bit before the shower was over. The shower isn't made for tall people either. It has an enclosed top, and the shower head is low. I'm a little under 6' tall and bumped the shower head 2 or 3 times washing my hair. The wireless internet was good and strong but I did lose connectivity once for a few hours. Could not get the wired connection to work at all. Couldn't get the cordless phone to work either. In-room instructions for connecting to the internet were wrong but luckily I was able to figure it out on my own. They advertise an "Executive Business Center" which in reality is a PC, printer, and monitor in a small enclosed room (first come first serve). Luckily all I needed it for was to print my boarding passes. The pool, while tastefully decorated, was extremely disappointing. The photos in their brochure were cleverly taken from a distance and at an angle, making the pool look large. In reality, it is maybe 8' x 10', and only 4' deep. Not big enough to swim in, just bob around a little. Sundeck is rather small as well. Hotel vending consists of a coke machine and ice machine on each floor. If you want snacks, you have to go across the street to the liquor store or 2 blocks up to the convenience store. Don't be in a rush to check out, I didn't see any option for express checkout using the TV or phone. Plus, the hotel seemed to have only 1 person working the front desk at any given time, and this same person had to keep the breakfast area stocked, so the front desk was frequently unattended in the mornings. Don't rely on the automated wake-up service through the phone system. We used it twice and it didn't work either time. When we complained to the front desk, he said he didn't know anything about it but if we would have called directly down to him he could have monitored it. At least one other guest complained too, and was told that the computer tried calling 3 times but got a busy signal. The first night the clock radio buzzed every few hours (even though it was turned off), but was silent after that so we left it alone. A few other minor conveniences such as no notepad or paper in the room; missing wash cloths when we checked in; some of the cleaning staff spoke absolutely no English which made it hard to ask for things.

All in all, for the price ($140/night), location (Burbank, close to everything), and short notice (booked less than 2 weeks before trip), it was a nice place to stay. The room was clean and comfortable, but fairly basic. I would definitely recommend this if travelling on business. If travelling for pleasure, check around, there are probably some better options, but there are definitely worse. It's pretty new, so the hotel is clean and shouldn't need renovations for some time. If I return to the area, I would certainly not hesitate to stay here again if necessary.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank rspeaker67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Central L.A
Universal City Area
BLVD Hotel & Spa
BLVD Hotel & Spa
#100 of 348 in Los Angeles

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Media Center Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!