“Good Food, atmosphere a bit outdated”

Tony's Bella Vista Ristorante
Ranked #37 of 434 Restaurants in Burbank
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Only a dozen people at 1 pm for lunch made us nervous. Food was very good though. Atmosphere outdated and too dark. Almost gave an appearance of not clean.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Firstly let me say that I'm not Italian. A lot of reviews of this restaurant seem to justify opinons by saying they're Italian. I'm not.
I have however lived in Italy for 4 years and worked there on and off for 10. I've spent a lot of time time. And eaten a lot of pizzas there.

I wasn't sure where to eat but felt like pizza and this place had good reviews so I decided on a Sunday evening to make the extra effort and drive over here rather than just eat locally.

It was fairly quiet but then it was Sunday so I wasn't expecting a party. There is parking behind the restaurant which is handy.

I went inside and it's nice, good lighting (not too bright) and generally a nice feel. I suspect it would have looked pretty similar if I'd walked in 10 years ago but that wasn't a negative. Certainly made a nice change from a lot of the places around here where they feel like they've only just been opened or refreshed or rebranded.

Service was friendly and professional, although most of the staff seemed far more attentive to a couple at a table who I assume were regulars. Again - nice to know they look after their customers.

I ordered a caprese salad to start and then a pizza.
The caprese came and to be honest was disappointing. Having read the reviews of this place I was expecting more. It was fine but not "true Italian". The mozzarella was not buffalo mozzarella which is fine on a pizza but not in a caprese from somewhere advertising (on the menu) that it only uses the best quality ingredients. It also had oregano on it which is not something I've ever had on a caprese in Italy. Maybe they were out of basil.

My pizza came and it was good. I ordered thin crust and it was a good thin crust. Again, if I was being really pedantic I would say that it was not as good as a good pizza I've had in Italy but that is being very harsh because it was a good pizza.

I definitely enjoyed this meal and the restaurant. After a disappointing start with the caprese, I liked it more the longer I stayed. I would definitely go back and recommend it as the pizza was very good. I guess I just had higher expectations after some of the reviews on here saying how good it was.

Don't be fooled. It is a good restaurant, but it's not like eating pizza in Italy. Go with a reasonable level of expectation and you won't be disappointed. In my review I've marked it down on the value front only because of the caprese and also because the house wine was $6 a glass and I'm finding the mark up on wine in restaurants generally in the USA to be getting a bit annoying.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Although now living out of the area, we return to Tony's at least a couple of times a year. It is a rarity in the restaurant business, a fine establishment that has consistently maintained its quality and standards for more than 30 years. It is generally acknowledged to have the best Pizza around but every item on the menu ranges from very good to excellent. The fun is in selecting from their outstanding selection of "specials" that are always very good and provide enjoyable variety.

Whether it is a business lunch or a family dinner, you can't go wrong here. I very rarely give a "5" rating, and while there might be finer cuisine available, the combination of excellent food and outstanding value make that rating well deserved.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

We found this hidden jem in Burbank,VERY authentic and we do know authentic,my husband and I are BOTH Italian and we cook.We ordered a pizza and asked for it to ULTRA thin...EZ they made it just like NY.Then we shared a Pasta and seafood dish...I was very surprised they used green lipped NZ mussels.We were so surprised and happy to find a nice place to enjoy a great dinner.It will be one of our favorite spots! The owners are VERY friendly and take pride in the food they serve..all was TERRIFIC!....as they say....from soup to nuts!

Reviewed January 2, 2011

Order a carafe of the house Chianti and a pizza, you can't go wrong. Old school Italian restaurant, don't go for the decor. The food and service are really good and very reasonably priced

1  Thank Lisa M