“Try Mama Hong's!”

Mama Hong's Vietnamese Kitchen
Ranked #53 of 432 Restaurants in Burbank
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great tasting Vietnamese fare with lighter, more subtle flavor than usual. The preparation and presentation of the dishes highlight the superior quality of the ingredients. We had the Bo Ko and the Pho and plan to go back to sample other offerings. The restaurant is comfortable, clean and conveniently located on San Fernando in Burbank near the movies and shopping. There is a steady stream of patrons so you may have to wait a bit for a table. The staff is very attentive and genuinely seems happy to serve. Great food. Good prices.

1  Thank CMc818

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the first time we've experienced Vietnamese food. It was great. Initially, we had intended to order Pho, the traditional Vietnamese noodle broth (usually made with a meat of some kind) but after looking over the menu, opted for something else. My wife had Vermicelli with thinly sliced pork. It included a spring roll and a special dip which she said was very tasty, I had a Vegetarian Stir Fry with tofu, broccoli and carrots, on a bed of rice noodles. Mine was also excellent. The portions are generous. The flavors unlike other Asian foods. Our waitress was a charming and attentive girl named Thuy. This place has only been open for about a year, but has become quite popular. Reportedly they have a long line during the weekday lunch hour, as it is located in the downtown district. We were there at dinnertime on a Saturday night. The were a good number of people there, but no wait for a table. We highly recommend this restaurant. It is nicely decorated, comfortable, and clean. We plan to go back – and hopefully try the Pho next time.

Would have given it 5 stars, but they don't serve wine. My wife thought a white wine would have gone nicely with her meal. It is our understanding that they don't have a liquor license and we're not sure they're getting one. To some this may not matter, and we'll return regardless, because the food and service were good. Just pointing it out for those who might have a stronger desire for an alcoholic drink with their dinner.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was quite surprised when I went here to get some food. The price is good, not super cheap but not expensive either. Considering they are in a nice area the price is pretty good. I've had the bun and the banh mi sandwiches and they are very good. The inside is also very nice. I've been to some vietnamese places where it was maybe a B after a good washing, lol. The staff has also been very friendly as well.

1  Thank Travellermike986
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I went here for the first time with friends for lunch today. Until today, my only experience with Vietnamese food is Pho at places in the Valley. I am not a big fan of Pho and honestly, wasn't expecting to like the food at Mama Hongs.

One of the people in our group is from Vietnam and we were told that this restaurant, although very good, is not the most authentic. It's tailored to western tastes. However, our entire group enjoyed our meals and the consensus was that we would return.

I had the stir fry with everything in it - chicken, beef, shrimp and veggies. It was one of the best stir fry dishes that I have ever eaten. It had lean meats, tons of fresh veggies and was packed with flavor. I know that I will be back and will order this in the future.

The restaurant is very stylish and pretty, upscale vibe. Quick/ friendly service and very busy. We left around one and the place was packed with a line. It's popular.

This was a great new local find and we will definitely be back.

Please visit my blog for more reviews and thoughts.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

As a pho enthusiast, I can easily say that Mama Hong's is my easy favorite for Pho in Los Angeles. Yes it is in the valley, and yes, it is work the trek to downtown Burbank! Fresh and flavorful broth (no msg) and cheap & cheerful! I highly recommend this restaurant as a delicious vietnamese food destination!