“Good Budget Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We chose Safari Inn because we were at the end our long tour & did not want to splash out. This is a good budget hotel & we stayed there for 5 days.
The room was on the smaller side but it was cleaned everyday. The breakfast was just right & especially the toaster was a big help as we was able to toast the breads/bagels etc.
The swimming pool was small but functional. Specially my children enjoyed it immensely. The parking was somewhat of a problem specially if you are late in returning to the hotel. But the desk clark was very helpful & always directed us to a convenient place to park the car.
There are eating places nearby which is convenient. Travelling to Hollywood took us 15 mins but most of that time we were stuck in Hollywood traffic!!
We did not face any problems regarding any noise.
We liked this place & will recommend to someone who is looking for a budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2010

As previous reviewers have mentioned, it's a pretty basic motel and meets your needs for a short trip. They have a late check-out time so we weren't able to check in to our room earlier as they were still cleaning the rooms, but it worked out fine as we were hungry and so went to get some lunch and do some sight-seeing before returning. It's a no-frills type of place with few amenities but at least the parking was free. We didn't get a chance to swim in the pool, but it looked decent. The one positive thing I will say about this place is the location. Everything in downtown LA was accessible within a reasonable drive.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
India
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I found this hotel is a nice little gem. We were looking for something affordable for our vacation and knew we would not be in the room much. Paid $74 per night and it really exceeded our expectations. With a red tile roof and tan stucco with palm trees on the property it had a retro feel. Room was clean and shower was always hot. There is a small frig in room which is handy. Nothing special about room basic desk, chair two beds. Room was a little tight for a family of 4 but kind of expected this considering the type of hotel. Is in a quiet area of Burbank only a couple of miles from Warner Brothers, NBC and Universal Studios. McDonald's, 7/11, CVS, Dominos all short walking distance. There did not appear to be other hotels/motels in the area. Kind of tucked into a business/residential location. We found it quiet with mostly families at the hotel. Nice cars in parking lot. Pool is nothing special but nice and clean. Overall we stayed for a week and found it to be a great combination of value, cleanliness, and location.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
Reviewed July 1, 2010

This place was just shy of a total dump. The only reason I'm not rating this as "Terrible" is because of the lady at the front desk who was so nice and answered all our questions patiently. We paid $99 plus tax for one night. It has free parking and internet but that's all it can boast. The mattresses were old. I kept rolling towards the middle. There were only 2 pillows per bed and the pillows were flat. The towels were threadbare and scratchy and one even had tears. The continental breakfast consisted of watered down coffee, juice and mini bagels. On the upside, the lady at the front desk was very nice and was able to recommend a great Mexican restaurant within walking distance. Note that the parking lot is small so be mindful where you park, it would be very easy to ding your car or hit another one due to the tight spots.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Hotel is old with dirty sheets and holes in blankets. Lots on noise from rooms next door and upstairs. also add street noises. I paid $103.00 per night which is to high compared to staying at other locations for the same price and receiving better food, softer beds, new sheets & blankets and lots more extras.

Staff was nice and friendly and hotel was 80% clean. Pictures on internet make hotel look better than real life. I will not stay here again.

I was just passing through on my way to Universal studios.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Alta Loma
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Just needed a place to stay for a couple of nights while working in the nearby city of Glendale. Thought the "historic" aspect of this hotel would be fun. It was clean, basic, reasonably priced. But VERY thin walls. First night: no sleep! I think the people upstairs had a pet horse with them! What are you doing walking around in your room at 3am??!! And, I kept having to look and be sure I was alone...I could hear snoring from the next room! Almost checked out, but could not find another available room close by. Next evening, hit the CVS drugstore next door, Tylenol PM and earplugs...much better sleep! Fitness room was small, but very clean and functional. Continental breakfast all carbs no protein! Wouldn't stay here again, but if you're a night owl and can sleep in, its ok.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I am currently staying at the Safari Inn. It is an older, well-kept motel. I selected it for it's retro-like ambiance. The rooms are clean and the housekeeping staff is excellent. The hotel is located close to a CVS Drug Store so if you forget anything, you can probably buy it. The pool is clean and heated. The one and only caveat is a particular desk clerk who also works for a local tour company and collects a commission on the tours he sells. Upon my arrival, and once he had me checked in, he initiated a sales pitch. He was very aggressive and would have lost my business except for my time constraints. He just refused to listen to me and insisted I book a trip without checking with the person I came to visit. I had a second interaction with him two days later and shared my opinion of his sales techniques. I will admit that although I started out politely, I was angered by his attitude and raised my voice when he once again appeared to not be hearing what I was saying. A customer behind me got involved and I was not my typical pleasant self. I left the office, and when I saw the other customer come outside, I went out to apologize to him for being rude. This is when the unthinkable happened...The desk clerk came out and told me not to talk to any other customers. I have to say that two of three desk clerks were very polite and helpful, but this young man should be told that it is still legal to speak freely about poor service. Although I wouldn't say not to stay at the hotel, I would try to book tours online.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathy556
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Coast Anabelle Hotel
The Garland
The Garland
#13 of 351 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,911 reviews

Been to Safari Inn? Share your experiences!