“Great value for retro 60's motel room”
Review of Safari Inn

Safari Inn
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 21, 2009

My SO and I decided to attend the Rose Parade on New Years Day with friends and couldn't find anything reasonable for New Year's Eve in Pasadena. We were happy to find this inexpensive motel in Burbank, just a short drive away. The room was clean and comfortable, and had a refrigerator for our champagne. The continental breakfast wasn't fancy but it was satisfactory. The retro decor in the lobby was cute and the sign outside was fabulous! Parking is tight but the property shares a lot with the motel across the street, so free off-street parking can be found. Enjoy this little slice of Americana!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 4, 2008

We were departing Burbank airport early so we spent the prior night at the Safari Inn. The staff was very pleasant and the room was clean. There is WiFi, but the cable TV seemed to have only a few channels. There was a small swimming pool that was being used during this unusual California heat wave, but we arrived too late to use it. They provide complimentary shuttle service to and from the nearby airport using the airport shuttle or taxi. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience during this short visit.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed October 8, 2008

It has taken me a long time to write this review, but I finally decided to do it because I had members of my family who have stayed here independently of us discussing where they will stay later this month on their next visit to Burbank. They won't be staying here again, either.
The hotel has a great neon sign, the decor is great, but little else was great about this hotel. The room wasn't clean- the carpet was gross, the bathroom wasn't clean, the room smelled stale, and there were stains on the furniture. The beds were extremely uncomfortable! We felt that the beds were not only cheap but extremely old and broken down. Parking left a lot to be desired as well. They did have an elevator, which was a plus. Breakfast left a lot to be desired- we paid to eat somewhere else.
We have stayed in Burbank quite a few times since we stayed at the Safari Inn, and have never returned...even when we could save a LOT of $$$- it just wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 23, 2008

This place was a gem! Do not be fooled by the retro decor, the rooms are all recently renovated with high regard for cleanliness.
Be sure to book using a CAA/AAA card because they give crazy discount.
Pro: Location was perfect for attending studio tours, show tapings, universal studios. The continental breakfast was typical nothing less nothing more. The staff are very friendly and willing to offer information to tourists. Their pool was very clean and the parking was plentiful. Side note they often shoot movies and tv shows here they were shooting prison break the days we were there!

Con: none

If you are looking for a very affordable motel with a great location, no noise, and high quality service with a clean room this is the place you want to be!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dferrari1983
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stayed at the safari motel in june or july of 1979 I was 14 years old from Ga.My dad had already been out in Cali.for about a month working for Lockheed and after school let out my mom and I flew out .I remember this motel like it was yesterday and I had a wonerful time.The office staff at the time were great and the room was very comfy. I will stay again if I am ever out in burbank. Thanks for the Memories Safari

• Stayed: June 2003, traveled on business
1  Thank melanie82
Reviewed February 13, 2008

This hotel was very nice. I was looking for something a little different. It was v.clean and the room decor was very modern and comfortable.

The only complaint I would have is the fact the car park was a little small and tight - hasn't been adjusted for the size of the cars of today. However, plenty or parking available across the street in their sister hotel.

Also, the rooms on the 1st floor (ground) i found to be too close to the parking area. I was woken up at some unreasonable time when they started up their diesel truck!

I paid $150 for the night which I found was a little more than what I thought it was worth but I only booked a day in advance. It would probably be worth more like $100.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed January 26, 2008

I was expecting more from reading reviews on TripAdvisor.
The architecture is '50s or '60's route 66 style. While the poperty has been more or less kept up, it is dated.

The location was good for the purpose of my trip.

The room had a lot of road noise. I ran the bathroom fan all night to mask the noise.

The room was clean with just a couple of exceptions- some mold in the shower, and the carpet just inside the entrance door felt sticky.
The shower room was depressing. While clean, the light was weak and yellow.

The staff was very nice. The lobby was clean and neat.
The continental breakfast was bread based- no protein foods. (Typical American continental breakfast. Poor)

What was good-
Staff.
The architecture could be a cool feature, if it looked intentional and was given a make-over.
Close to studios.
I walked everywhere, apparently safely.

What needs improvement-
Clean up the mold.
Improve the lighting in the shower/toilet room.
Improve the lighting over the sink.
Improve the breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank EM57_Traveler