“Difficult to get our reserved suite and sometimes no heat”

Courtyard Los Angeles Burbank Airport
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I stay at Marriott brand properties whenever I can and have learned to expect them all to maintain the highest standards. Only the degree of amenities varies among the brands, but within each brand, I expect eveything to be up to the standards of that brand. I have stayed at dozens of Marriott brand hotels and had never had anything go wrong until my recent stay at the Burbank Airport Courtyard,

1) The hotel is under renovation, but this fact was noted on the Marriott webpage, so I phoned the hotel to ask about the renovations and was accurately informed that they were taking place only in certain parts of the hotel and that I would be in a suite away from the work.

2) When I phoned, I asked if the suite included a bedroom which was separated from the rest of the unit by a door and was told that it was separated by a door.

3) When my companion and I arrived at the reservation desk, the clerk told us that there were no suites available. I told him that I would go to my car and bring back my confirmation for a suite. Before I could turn around, he told me that they had a suite available, but that it had not yet been cleaned (at 4 p.m.). He then picked up the telephone, listened for a moment and told me that the suite was ready. I wanted to make sure that it had a separate bedroom and asked him if it did. He told me that it did not, that it was just a large room. At this point, I no longer believed anything he was saying and asked to see the suite.

4) When I arrived at the newly-renovated suite, it turned out that there was a separate bedroom, but that the entry to it was simply a walkway, without a door, and it was clear that it would be left this way, as it was obvious that the renovations to this unit had been finished and there was no indication of moldings on which a door would be hung.

We took the unit despite the inconvenience of incomplete privacy, as that was the easiest thing to do at this point.
It was clear to me that the hotel had overbooked its suites and that the desk clerk had been trying to get me to take a regular room.

5) We noticed that the refrigerator was unplugged and was too heavy to move, so we called the desk clerk who had it plugged in by a staff member while we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner.

6) When we returned after dinner and shopping, and were ready to go to bed, it turned out that although the heat in the living room worked, the brand new bedroom heater produced no heat, only cold air. As it was too late at night for us to be bothered with having the bedroom heater repaired, we did without heat in the bedroom for the night and in the morning asked the hotel to repair it. They did so and we had heat in the bedroom our second night.

7) Upon my request at checkout, the hotel, much to its credit, made an adjustment to my bill for the lack of heat the first night.

8) The hotel is at one end of a very large shopping mall with dozens of stores and restaurants including an excellent, very reasonably priced, buffet restaurant and a large chain store which included a pharmacy.

9) Our suite faced the large courtyard of the U-shaped hotel and we were not disturbed by any train or road noise, although we did hear the noise of the next-door guests through the insufficiently sound-proofed connecting doors between the living room and the neighbors' room.

10) I would not stay here again due to all of the problems, none of which was major, but none of which should have been present in a Marriott brand hotel. I am glad that this hotel is the only exception that I have encounted to the usually perfect experience of Marriott brand hotels.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank trainer3636

Reviewed October 31, 2008

Courtyard Marriott in Burbank was quite a pleasant surprise. Five adults (girls trip out), were able to stay in one room without fuss. Believe it! When we got to the hotel, the front desk staff directed us to the nearest plaza to pass the time while they booked us in for a room. The plaza was 5 minutes walking distance. The Olive Garden was 7mins. Mmmm...chicken alfredo.
Now back to info about the hotel...the lobby was inviting. Lounge area for those tired on their feet & needing a quick nap from the heat. Free internet at 3 available computers - first come, first net-surf. If you needed to look up & print directions, head to the lobby/lounge. Boy do you need those directions, in case you didn't opt for the GPS in the rental pkg.
Hotel room had 2 queen sized beds, separte vanity to the washroom/bathroom, TV w/cable, wireless capability, decent in-room lighting, sofa w/pull-out bed, desk, chair, enough outlets for electronics, Ipod/alarm clock, hairdryer, iron & iron board. No fee for parking. Be sure to get a spot before midnight on Fridays & Saturdays, or you'll find yourself getting a spot way-way in the back of the lot.
Stores were driving distance. Burbank Town Centre was 7min drive. Close to WB & NBC Studios where they tape Ellen & Jay Leno.
OVERALL, a pretty good stay. The beds were quite plush, if you like it like that.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Sunshine_Sash
Reviewed October 19, 2008

This was my fourth long-term stay at the Burbank Courtyard and each stay has been excellent. The staff is very friendly and outgoing and tries to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I was given a nice king room that had a balcony and pool view. The room was spacious and featured a sofabed, work desk, digital thermotstat, flat pannel tv, and a small refrigerator. The only thing missing was a microwave..but the staff was more than accomadating in heating my food up the couple of times I needed it. This hotel offers free parking and internet unlike most of the other hotels in the area. The outdoor pool/spa area is well maintained and is surrounded by palm trees. As others have mentioned in previous reviews the hotel is part of the Empire Shopping Center which has several stores and Resturants including Outback and Olive Garden all in walking distance. The area is very safe and quiet at night. The studios (NBC, Warner Brothers, and Universal) are all a short drive away as well as downtown Hollywood. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel August 22 – 24. We flew into the Burbank Airport. This hotel is just a 5-minute cab ride from the airport, about an $8 cab fare.

Check-in was perfect. Our room was on the first floor, only 17 steps away from the lobby bar…perfect for us. The lobby bar stayed open until about 10:30PM.

The room was great. Lots of pillows. Plenty of towels. A nice flat screen television. An alarm clock with an MP3 docking station. A small fridge. And very clean.

Even though there is much construction going on near the hotel, and it is located close to the airport, we had no issues whatsoever with noise. Even so, the hotel did leave a nice little note along with two packages of ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Breakfast was good. They have a buffet option or you can order off of a menu. Service was quick and friendly.

There is a small gift shop, with some postcards, aspirin, sodas, batteries, etc.

There are two public computers located in the lobby with Internet Access. You can use them anytime, day or night. There are printers available as well. This was handy when printing out my boarding passes for our flight home.

There is an outdoor pool, though I thought it was a bit small. There are several lounge chairs and it appears to get a lot of sun during the day.

The hotel is located just next to a strip shopping mall with a Lowe’s, Target, Staples, Home Town Buffett, Outback Steakhouse, and more.

There is an onsite Hertz Rental office. I went to rent a car on Saturday morning (with no reservation) and they did not have any available. I had to go back to the airport to rent a car.

This hotel is COMPLETELY Non-Smoking. There is only one small designated smoking area outside. There are numerous signs posted everywhere, inside and out, stating No Smoking.

Check-out was also a breeze.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. The location to the airport was great, the rooms were very nice and clean and the staff was extremely friendly.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachbumaz
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel. It was in a perfect location. Near the airport, close to several attractions. As stated by other members, Target, Krisy Kreme, Outback,etc. across the street. Our room was very clean. The staff was polite.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I didn't sleep much here!!! You can tell they really cut costs when it came to the bed! The mattress was so uncomfortable...it was the lowest grade mattress you can buy. It was so hard, and when my husband laid down the springs created a dip that I kept falling into all night. The pillows are equally as cheap...as are the sheets (thin and keep you sweaty) and the comforter. The air conditioner when it came on was freezing and blows right on the bed! And when it is off the room is hot. There is no happy medium. You have to run the shower hot water for 10 minutes (not kidding) before it gets hot. And then it isn't that hot and the water pressure is a dissappointment. And of course the walls are paper thin.

The only good thing is it is located near some restaurants and a Target. And is close to the Burbank airport. I would NEVER stay here again though.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2008

We stayed there with our young children while visiting Universal Studios and Hollywood. Service was great, rooms were clean, excellent breakfast bar, located next to shopping mall with Target, Oline Gardon, Outback Steakhouse, and HomeTown Buffet.

The beds were great and our room had a fold out sofa to keep the kids apart/happy.

Only comment was a distant train horn in the mornings.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family