“I was surprised...”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
Los Angeles, CA
“I was surprised...”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

It's a nice hotel with nice room furnishings but I was really surprised to see large mascara stains on some of the bath towels and a large hole in the bed sheet. If you plan on using the sofa bed, ask for a pad to go on top of it (they won't just offer it). If not, you will feel the metal springs in your back from this cheap mattress. Personally, I think they should keep sofa linens in the closet but no, you have to call and have someone bring it...then feel as if you need to tip them for bringing something that should have already been there. It was late, I was tired and just wanted to get to bed. I had a suite with a kitchen but had to ask for dishes and pots and pans. I was given one set of silverware for each person in the room, same for bowls and plates and one frying pan was provided. There were also 3 wine glasses...I had a 4 year old with me and no cups of any kind. Shouldn't a suite with a kitchen just be stocked with the goods? I found this to be odd. Hotel parking is $32 a day and you tip each time you want your car...pretty steep. The dvd player in the bedroom wasn't hooked up because the cord was missing. Took about 30 minutes for the guy to come and he didn't even bring a cord with him. I think I can find something better next time I need a hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
twhelan, General Manager at Hotel Amarano Burbank, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to post a review. I want to sincerely apologize for not experiencing the superior service and guest satisfaction that the Hotel Amarano is known for. I can assure you, this is not the norm and I would ask that you give us another opportunity when traveling to Burbank in the near future. Please call me directly at 818-260-4750 to assist with your reservation.

Again, my sincere apologies.

Tom Whelan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2013

After traveling to Burbank many times through the years I was put in a position where my family and I needed a place to stay for our most recent visit. I had always seen this hotel and was told it was a very fancy and expensive place to stay. Many of the local studios/shows would use it for their in- town guests. Since we were coming to town for a wedding I decided to treat the family to a stay here, it was also within walking distance to my brothers house. We booked the junior suite and looked forward to our stay. Unfortunately I was very disappointed in our room. We were given a room in the older part of the hotel and our room reflected this. It was in need of basic upgrades..the tiles on the floor in the sink area were loose, the bathroom door was difficult to open from the inside-luckily we were there to let each other out and we learned to not close it all the way, the shower area had stained and missing grout, the paint was worn and and chipped and for a suite with a kitchenette I would expect a dining table and chairs...I was told that is not the case, table and chairs are not standard..I guess at least for our room because upon checking another junior suite room there were a dining table and chairs! With the number of support bars throughout the bathroom and the emergency phone by the toilet I asked if we were given a handicapped room by mistake- I was told no- these are standard items in all their rooms- I guess safety first but it gave a feel of a handicapped room ( I didn't have a chance to check that one out)..It took repeated requests to have the sleeper sofa set-up and in one instance it took many calls to have the hotel address some guests who were outside on their patio smoking and talking late into the night. The icing on the cake was when we weren't told about the shuttle to Universal Studios when we asked the desk the best way to get there..it was the valets who told me about the shuttle when we were talking about a certain movie star who uses the shuttle the get around town( movie star was not named due to hotel policy and the valets were true to hotel policy!) The valets and bartender were great!

Room Tip: Have your agent book it for you!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DCwik2013
Thank you for taking time out to post a review and I want to sincerely apologize for your experience. The Hotel Amarano prides itself on superior service and guest satisfaction and we are very disappointed that we did not deliver during your stay with us. I have addressed all your concerns with our staff.

I am sure you will be returning to Burbank sometime in the future and I would ask that you give us another opportunity. Please call me directly at 818-260-4750 to assist with your reservation.

Arizona
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is a lovely boutique hotel. Our room was well appointed, with a comfortable bed and wonderful shower. The pool area was small and at the end of a Saturday afternoon in the need of towels to be picked up and the chairs straightened. A group of guest had rented the cabana and seemed to dominate the space and staff.
A couple of notes, $32 for parking is rather steep, we figured into our total room stay. Also, there is a shuttle service provided by the hotel for the local area. To our disappointment we were not aware or informed about this by the hotel staff. Even after calling down to the front desk asking about a cab. It was not until we asked at the restaurant for a cab that the owner told us, "oh, I will call the Amarano, they will come and pick you up". ? When we mentioned this at checkout we were given a rather lengthily explanation of why this happened, almost to an argument and we were oft put by this, especially as it there was no anger on our part and it was casually noted. Hmm. A polite, "we sorry" would have been better and more fitting with the caliber of hotel.

1 Thank ArizonaBeachlover
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I want to sincerely apologize for the breakdown in communication from our staff with regards to the shuttle service.That was something you should have been made aware of, upon check-in. Unfortunately, we dropped the ball.

I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate staff so this will not be an issue in the future.
Thank you again for your review.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Me and my girlfriend chose this hotel mainly due to its location. As we were travelling around LA it was essential we were in a location near the studios and with easy access to the freeways etc. This hotel ticked all of those boxes.

Upon arrival to the hotel we were quickly and efficiently checked in.

The room was perfect. A very good size and very comfortable.

The pool was small but quiet so always had access to a lounger and the jacuzzi was a lovely way to end our days out.

The hotel was located opposite a Vons supermarket so was handy for grabbing lunch.

The front desk staff were always very helpful and gladly printed off directions to restaurants for us.

Our overall experience was very positive and would gladly return when we come back to LA.

The hotel provided free wifi which is always handy and there is plenty of street parking if you dont want to pay the valet fees.

Room Tip: Plenty of free street parking surrounding the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank riadh023
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be staying with us on your next visit to the LA area. Thank you for your review.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I wanted to get away during the heatwave and Hotel Amarano was the perfect choice. The pool was small but it wasn't crowded, so worked perfectly. We had drinks at the bar in the evening which had a fun atomosphere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
That was definitely a heat wave here in Southern California and we are glad to hear that you decided to cool off in our swimming pool and that you also enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for taking time out to post a review.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was my second time staying at Hotel Amarano. The first time I stayed with a girlfriend and we had a suite. The room was fabulous and all we could want. The second time, my husband and I had a regular room. While it wasn't as large or elegant as the suite, it was a good sized room. This time we spent some time in the lounge area. The server was not only nice, he taught my grandchildren how to play a game of cards and then sent the bartender over to show a magic trick. My grandchildren were in awe and I was pleased with their thoughtfulness. I will be back to the hotel and recommend it for your stay in Burbank.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We are pleased that you took time out to post a review and we are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay. I passed your comments on to Harvey, our Bartender who is very good when it comes to entertaining with some of his magic tricks.

Thank you again.

Lincoln, California
Reviewed September 6, 2013

After doing a lot of research on places to stay for our family vacation and narrowing it down to 2 hotels, I'm so glad we chose Hotel Amarano. While I normally book online, I called the hotel directly with some questions and am glad I did. Lauren was fabulous and spent a good amount of time with me on the phone to determine the right room accommodations and give us the best deal for our money. Since we were staying for 5 nights and planning a trip to Universal Studios, Lauren was able to double up on promotional offers that I wouldn't have been able to access had I made the reservation online myself. I really appreciated the time she took and the effort she made to give us the best value. When we arrived, we were already forewarned about the valet parking (thanks to previous reviewers) so we found parking on Oak Street which was easy and super close to the side entrance of the hotel. (We parked there all week with no problems at all). Upon checking-in, we were upgraded to a 1-bedroom on the 4th floor. While it was spacious and included a full kitchenette, we felt the Premier Jr. Suite we requested at the time of booking would better suit us. Laurie was great about moving us to our new room in the new wing. While it wasn't as spacious as the 1-bedroom, it sure was beautiful! We loved the large tiled entryway, the spacious room and the luxurious bathroom! We weren't planning on cooking so the mini-frig and microwave along with the Keurig coffee maker were fine for us. Did I say how beautiful our room was?
Since we were there during the week at the end of August, the hotel was relatively quiet. We started each day with a trip across the street to Starbucks, Von's or breakfast at Bea-Bea's (yum) before we headed out for our day's activities. Each night, we made use of the beautiful pool area and hot tub. The pool was warm enough for even me to swim in and the hot tub was a lifesaver for our sore muscles after our busy days. Most of the week, we had the whole area to ourselves or shared it with a few other friendly guests. On our last night, we were even greeted by who I believe was the manager. (We still want to know where you got those candles around the pool!) We also made use of the shuttle which was very convenient and ate at the restaurant one morning for breakfast (included in one of the promotions). Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and loved our room and the pool area the most. The only suggestion I have is to install a hook or two in the bathroom to hang robes, pjs, bathing suits from. Draping them over the shower or the side of bathtub really detracted from an otherwise beautiful bathroom! Thanks for being such a big part of a great family vacation to Southern California! We'll definitely be back the next time we head down from Lincoln (next to Auburn)!

Room Tip: 1-bedroom in the old wing was spacious with a full kitchenette, while rooms in the new wing were a l...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank One4amr
Thank you for taking time out to write such an extensive review. I have passed your comments on to our staff and I do remember meeting you at the pool one evening as we talked about where you were traveling from and I had mentioned I had friends living in Auburn, CA. As far as the lanterns around the pool, they were purchased at Urban Home.

Thank you again. Look forward to your next visit.

Tom Whelan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
The Garland
Central L.A
Sheraton Universal Hotel
Sheraton Universal Hotel
#108 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Hotel Amarano Burbank? Share your experiences!