“Expected more” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
cre8gale
“Expected more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

After reading trip advisor reports, I expected a little more in the way of amenities and service. When we checked in and got to our room, we discovered there was no water! They told us it was shut down for construction and would be up shortly. Better to have that disclosed at check-in. When we did get water, it continually took 5-10 minutes for hot water! Also, they had a very lengthy liability form to fill out for pets. They charged us a $100 non-refundable fee. When I asked where that was on the website, they said it just said pet friendly. I couldn't find a fee on my reservation, but as I am checking now, when they list their special packages, they show a pet fee of $75.00 - so I was overcharged at the best case scenario. The accomodations were pleasant and clean and the location was great for our needs.
Their fitness room was closed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cre8gale
TessQuinio, General Manager at Hotel Amarano Burbank, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay here at the Hotel Amarano. As we prepare to open our new addition in early spring, there have been times when we have had to shut off the water for a short period of time. All our guests were informed ahead of time and I am sorry that you were not informed upon check in.

Our pet friendly fee of $100 is standard with most hotels in the L.A. area and that should have been reflected on our website. Our fitness room has been closed as we begin to transition over to the new addition. During this time, we do have a reciprocal agreement with one of the fitness facilities, a short distance from the hotel. Our towncar will drop you off and pick you up at your request.

Please call me directly so I can assist you with your next reservation. We are excited to showcase our new addition, with swimming pool and luxury Chairman Suite. We look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visit.

Tom Whelan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

The Amarano ticks a lot of the boutique hotel check boxes: luxury ambiance, modern amenities, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, intimate gathering areas, valet only parking, but somehow fails to completely pull it off. Maybe it's because there were no valets to park my car, that they'd lost another guest's car, the coldly mechanical check in, or the lack of toiletries in the bathroom. If you're aiming high as the Amarano is trying to do, you have to get all the basics right. The check-in should be smooth and welcoming. The hotel staff should make you feel like you're their only guest and they should appear (this is LA after all, where appearance is everything) genuinely happy to see you. What ruined the experience completely for me was the blight of modern hotels taken to a whole new level. In a lot of hotels, the walls are paper thin. I've been woken by mobile phones ringing in the next room that sounded like they were in my room. I've been part of conference calls with my neighbor. I can't attest to whether the Amarano has this flaw, but being woken at 4:30am by footsteps from the room above was an all time low. It sounded like there were elephants above me. Even using ear plugs, I was able to hear them pacing. Street noise is also an issue, with trucks seemingly racing past my window early in the morning. Surprisingly, I was not woken by construction workers outside my room when I discovered that the hotel is still being built and my room was right next to scaffolding.

The problem is that no matter how well this hotel does with the basics, which are all easily fixable, they still have a building with seriously flawed architecture. If you're aiming for luxury boutique, then have to start with quiet rooms with thick walls and floors and reasonable attempts at soundproofing. I really wanted to like the Amarano. My colleagues rave about it, but to be honest I'd stay at the Burbank airport Marriott again which has quiet rooms and isn't trying to be something that it isn't.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor to avoid hearing people walking in the room above. Stay at the Marriott at Bu...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank n1gels
TessQuinio, Manager at Hotel Amarano Burbank, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Our sincere apology for not meeting your expectations here at the Hotel Amarano. Our Management & Staff pride itself on superior guest satisfaction and service. That is why the Hotel Amarano has been awarded the AAA four diamond recognition and has become the hotel of choice for many who travel to the L.A. area.

We have addressed your concerns with our Guest Service Agents and we will be completing our 32-room addition with rooftop penthouse & swimming pool early this spring. Look forward to you giving us another opportunity to deliver the service and comfort our guests have come accustomed to, here at the Hotel Amarano Burbank. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your reservation on your next visit.

Tom Whelan
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel Amarano for the past few years, usually 2 or 3 times per year. The location works great for my trips. The staff is friendly and will work with you on picking the best room available. I prefer the ground floor rooms with private patio. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

This hotel is lovely - The staff are friendly, the room service is very good, the rooms are large and well-equipped (microwave and fridge were a nice bonus).... So why only 4 stars? Well, we were put in room 328 - Which has the misfortune of being beneath the hotel gym. Nearly 3 straight hours of what sounded like boulders being dropped on the floor above us. I was told "someone is probably on the treadmill" but I can't imagine how a treadmill would make those noises! It was LOUD. Not well soundproofed. Thud! Thud! Bang Thud! Pretty much constantly all evening until the gym closed at 10pm. Also, room 328 is right next to a service entrance so when we weren't being bombarded by the upstairs thudding, we were treated with the service door banging shut (really, really loud) and carts... oh the carts. This went on much later than the noise form the gym. And finally... room 328 is a room with a connecting door (connects to the room next door). There is little to no soundproofing with the adjoining door so we heard everything that went on in the room next door. The guy in the room listened to sports ridiculously loudly all night. SO beware room 328!!!

Room Tip: Not room 328
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MissAmandaMay
GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was my second time in two years at this hotel. I had forgoten how lovely the place looks driving up at night. I had requested a third floor room (the top floor of this hotel) and was given room 301. I advise against getting room 301, 201, or 101, as these rooms seem to be without hot water. Which brings me to the title of my review: I reported my cold shower after the first night, and was told they would check it out, but no one did. I called again that night, and was told they would fix it at 7 a.m. I stayed out of my room until 8;15, but no one had come, and Iwas checking out and needing a hot shower.
After a frantic call to the front desk, I was given another room to shower, for which I was grateful. Upon checkout, my friend reported the lack of hot water, (the woman behind us said she also had no hot shower, and she was in room #201), and the kind front desk staff gave me one night for free.
The hotel manager contacted me once I was home, and further apologized. I think the staff is largely wonderful, the rooms are fine (but can be noisy, especially if you face the street), and it is a place to which I will again return.

Room Tip: get a room that doesnt face the street, and avoid rooms 101, 201 and, 301
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sunknee
Highland Village, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Wonderful oasis in the sea of LA hotels. Amarano is a small property in a great location. Pictures of this hotel on TA are accurate. It's well appointed, immaculate and provided a very pleasant experience. This was our first stay at Hotel Amarano. I was looking for a romantic four day weekend getaway with a girl I started dating after our 30yr high school reunion.

LOCATION: Only a short drive from Burbank/Bob Hope airport although GPS may lead you an extra 6-10 miles going the long way around from the passenger terminal. Amarano is just 1 mile east of the Ventura freeway so you can easily get into LA, Santa Monica, Malibu or drive about about 45 minutes to Disneyland. In a convertible from Avis, we covered all of those sights for a totally enjoyable getaway.

STORES NEARBY: Never worry if you forgot something, need your own particular favorite bottle of wine, or odd hour snack since the neighborhood shopping center with Vons grocery(a.k.a. Safeway/Tom Thumb) is immediately across the street. We are breakfast across the street in a nice bistro facing the hotel.

HOTEL LOBBY/BAR/DINING: Such a friendly staff. We enjoyed evening drinks in our room, fabulous breakast with the morning sun streaming in the windows. Nice bunch of happy people greeting us with genuine smiles whether morning or night.

ROOM: We stayed in Deluxe king room which was very comfortable. Nice sized bathroom so both of us could get ready without feeling crowded. Maid service was excellent.

BALCONY/JACUZZI: On the six floor offers both workout center plus perfect common area balcony for unwinding. Beautiful views of the city skyline, hot jacuzzi and large lounging place for entertaining. We spent several evenings on the balcony, in the jacuzzi enjoying a couple bottle of wine with cheese.

JAY LENO, ELLEN DeGENERES: Hotel Amarano the ideal place to stay if you are attending either show. NBC is located about 3 miles southwest. WB is one street away.

PARKING: Our Avis chrysler convertible was nothing compared to the Ferrari, Aston martin and other fince cars at Amarano. BUT - the staff treated us like royalty just the same. All parking is valet only since the spaces are underground below the hotel. Rather than wait you may call from you room and feel assured your car will be waiting for you by the when you get downstairs.

OVERALL: 100% We recommend Hotel Amarano as a great place to stay. Will definately stay here again on our next trip.

Room Tip: Most guests are adults. A standard room is about the size of Sheraton or Marriott (I'm a busines...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davecannon
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night December 28th 2011. We chose this for our stay prior to our Universal Studios Tour the following day. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly and will stay again. We booked through www.hotwire.com and in doing so saved about $40. We dined in the restaurant that evening and both thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The hotel felt 'boutique' and almost 'family' run, and I hope they maintain this feeling and service. The room was lovely and clean and the bed very comfortable. The staff were friendly and polite.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
The Garland
Universal City Area
BLVD Hotel & Spa
BLVD Hotel & Spa
#102 of 348 in Los Angeles

Been to Hotel Amarano Burbank? Share your experiences!