“Delivers what you expect”

Hotel Amarano Burbank
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The hotel was picked for me as it was a business trip. I don't really like boutique hotels as they're just too posh for me. Amarano was an exception: the room is perfect, the bathroom is cozy and well-equipped, just like the hotel. Internet is fine, business center is small but fine.

I can recommend this hotel to anyone. No whistles and bells but hey, if I'll go back, I'm happy to pick this hotel again.

(note: I'm talking about a business trip, so no value for the price consideration took place here)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Amarano Burbank

Reviewed August 12, 2011

The Amarano is a nice boutique hotel off the 134 in Burbank. The rooms are spacious and the bed linens luxurious. The bar is also a nice place to relax and have a drink. The staff is polite and friendly without being overbearing. Right now, there is a roof deck with a jacuzzi but I think they have plans to add a pool.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Minke5
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Lovely rooms in a very nice hotel. Use of the hotel car helped us keep our costs down too. The staff on reception were all great, except one, but will put this down to a bad day. Used the jacuzzi on roof once too, nice outdoor tv there . We didn't eat at hotel, as bea Beas across road was great fir breakfasts. The location is not great for much other than the warner brothers tour and the universal theme park but we were there mainly for business anyway.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The hotel is located about 30 mins from downtown LA and 40 mins by car to LA airport depending on traffic. It is an elegant little hotel that has a wonderful personal touch to it. Although clearly a hotel for business clientel, families do not look out of place here. The rooms are well decorated and equipped with everything you could ask for. It offers a complimentary drop off and pick up shuttle service to locations within a 3 mile radius which includes Warner Bros, Universal Studios, Universal City Metro (handy for taking the Metro into downtown LA) and the many restuarants in Burbank. We found this service invaluable.
During our stay, We hired a car and visited Disneyland which was a hours' drive away. We also visited Sea World in San Diego which took us 2 hours and 20mins to get to. However be warned LA traffic during rush hour is a nightmare. Our guide book was not wrong in saying that in the morning it begins at 7am and ends about 9.30/10am and later begins about 4pm and finishes about 7pm. We left Disney on one occasion at 4.15pm only to return to the hotel at 6.30pm. Like us, if you're a visitor from the UK driving on their roads takes a bit of getting used to. A Satnav would not go amiss! The Natural History Museum in LA is fantastic place to visit as is the Science Musuem for Kids. I would also recommend a bus tour of LA if you're short on time.
For meals, I would defintely ask at reception for recommendations. Every single member of staff I encountered at reception were very polite and helpful. From a personal point of view, I would recommend the Gindhi Thai, Big Bob's Diner for a reasonably priced meal. For something a bit more fancy, I would go to McCormacks and Schmitd's (fish restaurant) or Malbec (Argentinian steak house). There is a book at reception recommending a host of other restuarants. On a couple of evenings we ate at the hotel and found the food to be of excellent quality. Last orders are at 11pm.
The hotel also has a business office around the corner from reception which is handy for checking up on your emails, keeping up with current affairs at home and printing. It has a valet car service which is very good.But I found a couple of staff a bit grumpy and got the feeling that when we asked for them to drop us off to a certain location they hadn't heard off, they assumed that it was outside the 3 mile shuttle radius even though we checked with reception prior to leaving. Across the road there is Vons which is a supermarket that has everything you would find in a supermarket at home. Bea's which does lovely breakfasts and an Italian and French restaurant which we did not try. There is also a Starbucks which is a nice place is chill and relax in first thing in the morning.

Overall an excellent hotel with excellent friendly and helpful staff!! Michael, Armando and the two ladies at reception whose names I do not remember. Then there was Casey in Valet and Norm the barman who sure knows how to run a bar by talking and keeping you amused!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JAS016
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Love this hotel (used to be the Graciela). High traffic during the weekdays when it caters to executives visiting the studios (NBC and Warner) but on the weekend occupancy is usually down and they drop their prices considerably. Sleek, modern, upscale, and comfortable. Great in-room coffee. No pool, but if you just need a place to lay low and rest in style, this is the place. Directly across the street is a Starbucks, supermarket and drugstore. Plus they allow pets!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel is a hidden gem in Burbank. It is so close to the studios and just a few minutes from Hollywood and the 134/101 freeways that it has easy access for any traveler. I used to stay here when I traveled on business and it was called the Graciela) but I brought my family here for a quick L.A. visit. The hotel is kid-friendly and the rooms are extremely comfortable. Even the price was appropriate for the quality of the hotel. They are in the process of adding onto the hotel, but even the construction didn't bother us. Be sure to try to chocolate gems at the front desk...they are yummy, too!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Day 1
Drove into L.A. from San Jose around noon on Sat. Thanks to the reviews that I read regarding the ample street parking (valet is $29), we drove past the hotel and turned right on Oak St. (the hotel is at the corner of Pass Ave. & Oak St.), and immediately parked on the street (literally a 30 second walk to the lobby). Very safe looking neighborhoods surround this hotel.

Check in was a breeze, but the girl checking us in was NOT welcoming at all. No "hi", "hello", smile or anything. On the contrary, we felt like we were inconveniencing her. My wife and I did not feel welcome at all. Very odd. Anyway, we went up to our tastefully decorated room, with a nice 42" flat panel tv. No need to bring any body soap or shampoos, all provided. A stocked fridge is part of the room as well, but I'd recommend going to Von's across the street and avoid paying $4.50 for a bottle of water in the fridge. All in all, a very well appointed room.

Day 2
Got a ride to Universal Studios Hollywood by Michael (Asst. Manager) in the town car. He gave us a lot of useful information about the area (how to ride metro and where to get off, etc.) and we appreciated his customer service.

Okay, sounds like a great place, so why not 4 or 5 stars? Well, let me explain. Michael (the assistant manager), and the young, tall black gentleman at the front desk were very friendly and helpful when we had questions. Very professional.

But, from the time that we checked in, the gals at the front desk never smiled or gave us that "welcome to our hotel" vibe that you normally get (we are extremely low maintenance guests). It always seemed like we were inconveniencing them, from time that we checked in, or when we asked the Supervisor gal at night how we could arrange a ride to Universal Studios Hollywood the following day. We always seemed to get the "Why are you bothering me?" attitude. My only guess is that they are accustomed to dealing with business travelers (which is who they normally cater to), and don't care much for tourists.

So, we would go there again? Sure. But, if the attitude is the same, that'd probably be our last visit.

***UPDATE***
I have dropped this to a 2 star, because they double charged me. I paid in full via Priceline, but noticed I was charged again, even after I spoke to someone at the hotel regarding this pending charge that I noticed (I spoke to them the night I checked out).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheNinja370
twhelan, General Manager at Hotel Amarano Burbank, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2011

On behalf of the Hotel Amarano, I want to express my sincere apology for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. The Hotel Amarano prides itself on superior service and ultimate guest satisfaction.

We have addressed your concerns with each department and have used your review constructively. We are glad you will return on your next visit to the LA area. We look forward to seeing you.

Tom Whelan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Central L.A
Universal City Area
BLVD Hotel & Spa
BLVD Hotel & Spa
#90 of 352 in Los Angeles

Been to Hotel Amarano Burbank? Share your experiences!