“Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Orange Hotel Tangerinee”
Review of The Tangerine

The Tangerine
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
new york
“Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Orange Hotel Tangerinee”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Its true, everything about this hotel is small, except for one thing, the price=P
Though in fairness, compared to most other lodging establishments in LA, its pretty reasonable.
Rooms: small
Lobby: small
Breakfast: small
Parking lot (really) small
Pool: small
Complex: small
all this from go figure, a hotel named after a smaller version of a orange.
However, this place has style; for all small things, they did it quite well. Hey it aint the size that counts, its how you use it, right?
I actually dont have many complaints about this place. I for one, am not one for the trendy, though yes if you are a subscriber to my reviews you will see I did stay at the South Of The Border Hotel where I was treated to a good nights sleep on a bed with a large sombrero over head as a canopy. This place does trendy very well; not bad for what looks like a converted affordable housing facility with outside entrances. I for one, thought the mural in each room (different in every room) was rather enchanting.
The girl at check in was wonderful, very informative and friendly. Even told us there is a unwritten rule the pool closes, but if you go in late night and are quiet they wont throw you out. Funny though when explaining something about room damage or deposits, I asked figuring she wouldnt give me a straight answer if its because of normal occurrences. Much to my surprise she answered no, but has happened once or twice. Apparently its not all that uncommon to pull thee old marylyn manson.
Yes, before I get hate mail or a angry response from the manager, I will state here and now there IS another parking area swung around the back, however I did make great use of my handycapper tag and it was wonderful being able to be one of the whopping 4 or so spots right out in front; ahh sweetness, get out of the car and right into the room.
The room was small, though not tiny. Clean, with a mini fridge. Sink outside the bathroom, which was yes, small. Only complaint really was the height of the bath tub, my grandparents (the keepers of the coveted handycap sticker) complained they needed help climbing mt saint bathtub every night. TV remote also changed channels very slowly, you know like when you click to another channel and 5 seconds later it goes. Didnt matter anyway, the only thing on during my stay were all those updates on those 2 russians throwing bombs and being pursued in Boston anyway. Same for the breakfast, it was the only thing on TV in the lobby.
Again, small but great! Breakfast is not filling, but nice for a change; fresh pastries and danish from the gourmet place across the street and the coffee/coco/cappuccino machine was very good. I had to suggest, fittingly there should be one of those small tangerine trees in the lobby. My response was better. "well, we are getting a big one to put out by the front sign".
They took great pride in the pool. Informing me there is no hot tub however they proudly put the pool temperature at a toasty high 80s, and yes, it was very nice. Just big enough to get a good 4 stroke lap in! I was not happy the last night, when a different front desk lady gave me the boot, claiming, it is the 'pool area' that is open 24 hours, not the water. All work and no swim after a long hard day made this fruit rotten. At least the tropical wooden gate door was nice though. There was some noise from the street late night, but granted, it was bikers sitting at a red light revving up.
Hollywood is a big place; this is a small gem in the middle that does small well. They could probably get away with 100 a night, same complex and trendyness in a small town. Lots in the area, if you are here a while be sure to go to the nearby supermarket and stick the (...small) fridge, or late nights, nothing fulfills the burbank experience then bobs big boy, a short walk down the street.
Knock Knock
whoes there?
orange
orange who?
Orange you glad I stayed at the Tangerine

Room Tip: not many to choose from, small!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Nottingham
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Great little place. Our room was really big and had everything we needed- iron, hair dryer, safe, TV, free internet (it was a bit slow but FREE!) and more importantly a huge and comfortable bed. The staff were always really friendly and helpful, even printing us out directions for the supermarket. The pool was an added bonus, only small but what more do you need? It's a nice neighbourhood with plenty of nice looking places to eat near by. The complimentary pastries were lovely and the hot chocolate from the machine is surprisingly amazing!

Las Vegas & New Jersey
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Why don't all motel owners spruce up their rooms the way Tangerine has done? When all is said and done, it is still a two-story motel with outside entrances, but because it has been artistically spruced-up, it doesn't have the dreary and depressing ambience of similar-style properties of a certain age.

Loved the mural on the bed wall, and definitely appreciated the big vanity in the bathroom, with a good shower in the tub. Even better was a large L-shaped counter in an alcove near the bathroom with the first lighted makeup mirror in hotel history that I could actually use: unlike all those other magnifying mirrors installed by men, this one was placed right above the counter, to be used sitting down by short little me. And the lighting in the bathroom and the alcove was also good enough - so rare - to be able to put makeup on! To me, this was worth the price of admission.

A small table, flanked by two sturdy chairs, and a long counter under the TV, completed the room, which was not huge, but spacious enough. The bed was very, very comfortable, and the AC was quiet. I was hoping for a room with poured concrete floors, but ours had carpeting. The bathroom had the concrete floor, and everything was very clean.

Callie at the front desk was very helpful and friendly when we checked in, and the other staff members were also good.

I liked having great-quality coffee available at all hours in the lobby. In the morning they provide fabulous pastries from a top-notch bakery, but no breakfast. Unfortunately, I don't like eating cake for breakfast, so I would have preferred real food. But that's my personal preference. At least they try!

With a great location in Burbank, with lots of restaurants in a good, safe neighborhood, Tangerine is definitely a good choice.

Chicago
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It was fine. Yes, it was clean, staff were pleasant, and the room was spacious (though weirdly set up so you can't see the TV from the couch). And it was convenient for my visit to Warner Bros. Aside from that, I don't get what others found "cool" about the place. I agree with the reviewer who basically said, "this is just a motel." Ditto. Stay here if you want a decently priced place in this vicinity, but don't get your hopes up for something special. Also, know that you'll be carrying your own luggage, so if you're on the second floor (as is recommended to manage noise), understand that you probably should pack light. Oh, and the internet is hopelessly slow.

Room Tip: I asked for a second floor, quiet room and they were completely accommodating. I'm a very light...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I want to rate this hotel a 10 ! From check in to check out the staff was friendly , rooms are very clean, the best restaurants, juice bars, Starbucks, cafes within 1-3 blocks in walking distance., Warner Bros is 3 blocks away, Universal is a 40 min walk...the best. I did not have a car ( mainly because parking in the LA area is tough and expensive., so walking was essential for me. The pool was very nice. Every morning the hotel had fresh pastries from a local bakery for the guests along with a great hot beverage machine you can have your choice buy simply pushing a button ( Coffee, lattes, Tea, , etc ). Fitness room not on the premises, there is a gym near Starbucks , however they wanted $20 a day. I did a lot of walking in the area for exercise.Very safe area, I was traveling solo visiting my son who lives in the area ..... do not think twice , stay at THE TANGERINE

Room Tip: ask for a room that you may see then pool and daylight , some rooms are hidden in a walkway from the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Style and cool on a budget, great location, friendly staff and wonderful lobby coffee options. The Tangerine has a fun, hip vibe that works. The reviews of others brought us here on vacation and we couldn't be happier. Only the lack of a security chain/bar on the door keeps me from hitting the 5 star button.

Chandler, AZ
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Tangerine Hotel was super clean and staff was very nice and friendly.
Warner Brothers Studio VIP tour was interesting. You could walk there if you wanted to. Parking was very convenient at the studio though. Glad we went early. Started getting warm by the end of the tour. Breakfast across the street was okay. Had a spinach omelet that had a few too many onions for my liking.

Room Tip: We stayed right next to the pool but had no problems with noise at all.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Central L.A
Central L.A
Sheraton Universal Hotel
Sheraton Universal Hotel
#120 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to The Tangerine? Share your experiences!