“A Little Gem”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Burbank
Traverse City, Michigan
“A Little Gem”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night and were pleasantly surprised. It is a vest pocket motel in a business area surrounded by large hi-rises. However, is was quiet, well appointed, clean, comfortable and affordable. It has a small swimming pool, though no other attractions or stores within walking distance. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a good place to stay.

Room Tip: There's a great little Italian restaurant across the street, that serves a killer breakfast and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Winnipeg
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here in April! This hotel is just the perfect place to stay! It is a 2 minute drive to Warner Bros. studio and a quick drive to all the attractions!
We have raved about this funky little hotel, where the staff is super friendly and helpful!
Do not pass this hotel up!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cool
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This review is for the Tangerine Hotel in Burbank, California for a stay in October 2012. Sadly, based on my experience, I can safely say that I would never stay there again.

Property: Tangerine Hotel
Location: Burbank, California
Address: 3901 West Riverside Drive, Burbank, CA 91505
Phone: (818) 843-1121
Website: www.tangerinehotel.com
Room Type/Class: Standard
Date: October 14-16, 2012
Booking Source: Expedia
Overall Rating: 1/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

I recently had a short trip in Los Angeles and needed to book a room for two nights. Since I was flying in and out of Burbank, and attending shows at The Greek Theatre and The Hollywood Bowl (both of which are less than 15 minutes away) I thought it might be convenient to stay there, and consulted TripAdvisor reviews for suggestions. The #1 of 18 hotels in Burbank was Tangerine Hotel.

This may be a quibble, but I wonder if it should actually be called the Tangerine Motel, rather than the Tangerine Hotel (as there is a difference between a hotel and a motel, and this property would seem to fit the definition of the latter).

In pulling up to the property, the first question that came to my mind is... where am I supposed to park? There appeared to be about 3-4 standard parking spaces and 1-2 handicap spaces, and all were occupied. There was no signage with any parking directions, and it is located on a busy street, so no time to slow down. After driving around for a few minutes, I found that there were parking spaces designated for the motel in the alley behind it.

The front desk was located in a small self contained lobby area/room, and was unremarkable.

All rooms are accessed from the front parking lot, and on two levels.

The rooms are opened via card key. The first impression of the room, upon entering, was that it has a very strong (unpleasant) odor. There is an AC unit under the solitary window, which I immediately turned on, which seemed to help a little after running for several hours.

The room was fairly standard motel fare - aged, dated, maybe a 6/10 on the cleanliness factor. Some elements of it seemed fairly cheap, most notably the bathroom. The towel rack was pulled down/bent, so could not actually hold any towels without risk of them falling on or into the toilet below. Strangely, the sink faucet is the "spray" emitter type, not the running water type, so it tended to splash water all over. Some simple things were lacking that would seem obvious to someone staying as a guest... for example, though a bar of soap is provided to wash your hands at the sink, there is no dish or indentation in which to place it... leaving one to wonder what to do with it (I opted to place it on top of a washcloth).

There a few extra amenities - a small refrigerator, a coffee maker, an iron and ironing board.

WiFi is included, though I could barely connect with my new ThinkPad workstation which has the most powerful WiFi card offered. I did have an ethernet cable in my bag, and found an ethernet port near the phone. The supplied login work for the wired connection, and the Internet speed was actually remarkably fast. I had videos and photos to upload from my concert reviews, and it was very, very fast; compared with all of the hotels and motels I've stayed at in the past year, it was near the top.

So the first night was generally unremarkable. The second night was something else entirely.

Early that afternoon, when I went to park in the spaces in the alley behind the motel, there were workers with spaces blocked with orange cones, and some kind of utility vehicle to change lightbulbs. One of the spaces was opened, so I parked.

Late afternoon on the second night of my stay, in leaving my room at around 6 PM, I found a letter folded up and stuffed into the key card slot for my door. I opened it, and found the message included in my photos.

I took the letter to the front desk, and they explained, as written in the letter, that all guests would need to park in an off-site parking garage. As I left, I noticed two men blacking out the vending machine front with black paint and black tape.

So later that night, I parked in the offsite parking garage, and in walking to my room, there was a man in a security guard uniform sleeping in a car...

Beginning prior to 6am, I started hearing noise and commotion and voices outside. I tried to ignore it. Between 6am and 7am, it became increasingly worse. Prior to 7am, even though my window drapes were drawn closed, it was suddenly as bright as daylight within my room. I opened the drapes and there was a giant film spotlight shining right at my window (my friend in the business saw the photos and said it is an ARRI HMI with "daylight" bulbs). There were dozens of film crew personnel in the parking lot, and giant trucks in the street with endless equipment being hauled out into the parking lot and all around the motel. All were yelling back and forth, talking on loud walkie talkies (just outside my window even), and there was someone walking around on the roof, throwing things down into the parking lot.

I called the front desk, and he wasn't very apologetic. I explained that I do write and publish hotel and resort reviews, and he didn't seem to believe me, and said it wouldn't impact how he is going to handle my complaint. I told him this was all unacceptable, and he ultimately agreed to credit me back one night's cost.

I was up until at least 5am working on my article from the concert I attended the night before, so I essentially was limited to 1-2 hours of sleep. The noise and activity outside got worse and worse, through the rest of my stay through check-out around noon that day.

Because they were so loud, I know that they were shooting a scene where ultimately an actress is stabbed outside of my room, and they shot scene after scene of her walking up and down the stairs outside my room. With each take, another actor would push a noisy housekeeping trolly across the hall and stop in front of my door. Over and over and over and over and over and over... for hours and hours.

When they changed to a different shooting location within the hotel, there was a knock at my door. I of course had no idea if this was related to the filming production or the motel. It was the (actual) housekeeper, and she pointed to the "Do Not Disturb" tab I placed into my keycard slot - which someone had turned over to the "Please Clean My Room" side. I guess the film production was trying to get all of the guests to leave the motel, however they could.

Being completely fed up at that point, I decided to check out... but I could not even do that properly, as they were at that point filming additional scenes in the lobby/front desk area.

My biggest problem with this stay is that the management of this motel obviously rented their property to this film production - and I assume were well paid for this - and elected to rent rooms out to guests anyway, instead of blacking out the rooms. So in my opinion, this speaks volumes about how this motel views its guests, and really tells me everything I need to know about the motel. I would never stay here again - not even for free.

They could have alerted guests prior to the stay about the filmmaking disruption. They did not. They could have informed me at check-in (and I would have canceled and made alternate arrangements). They did not. They could have explained in the letter given to guests the afternoon before - that filming was going to start before sunrise the next morning, and last all day... And, they did not even extend that courtesy.

Below are photos I took of the Tangerine Hotel during my stay. Note, I did not take any proper exterior photos as I had intended to do that the last day of my stay, which obviously did not go as planned.

Room Tip: They all appear to be the same
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
15 Thank Rock-Subculture
California
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Found the Tangerine through TA because I was tired of spending a ton of money on mediocre hotel rooms in Burbank. The Tangerine is funky chic -- an old motel flipped on its side with cool design and friendly staff. I stayed in an upstairs front room over looking tiny (very tiny) parking lot and pool. Check in was easy, staff is great! Room was comfortable & clean-- all I insist upon while on business for a few nights. It's on a fairly busy street, but traffic quiets down during the night, but I'd still recommend ear plugs. Bed & bedding were comfortable, carpet was clean, towels were soft. There is no desk for working, but there is a table and chairs which I plopped my laptop on when needed. Wardrobe with hanging space, chest of drawers, HD tv. One complaint-- very low light. I think it was done purposely for mood, but not easy if you like it bright. Window has black out curtains but no sheers-- so if you want natural light, all can see into your room. Lots of counter space, small bathroom but totally fine. Free parking in back alley and we never had a problem finding a spot (even on a Friday night). No gym (it was a motel, remember), but free coffee, danish in the office each morning. Free wifi in rooms, too! Next door is a decent mexican place with good margaritas open late (a bonus!), plus lots of great little eating places within walking distance. It's in a very safe part of Burbank, so no worries walking around at night. The Tangerine is my new go-to place for overnights in Burbank. If you don't need the extras and are just looking for clean & comfy-- give it a try!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have stained concrete floors; upstairs rooms have carpet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Seattle WA
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Tangerine is a 40 year old Holiday Inn that is in better condition then it was when it was new. It was very clean, well decorated in nice tangerine trim colors with a very clean, warm pool. I had a problem with the Internet, but Miesha, the smiling young lady at the desk was very helpful not only with the Internet but answering any question about the area that I asked. With her attitude she could work anyplace as a customer relations person. Good job Miesha.

Room Tip: No restaurant on site but a good Mexican Restaurant next door
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HowardWestSeattleWA
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I booked this online and was unsure if it would be any good but it turned out to be one of the nicest hotels of our trip. The pool is heated to a beautiful temp and the complimentary coffee machine in the foyer was a bonus for me as I had been missing having a real coffee in the mornings. Very close to some good restaurants and seemed like a nice area. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Complimentary pastries for breakfast too. Very nice clean hotel and a great price too. Wish we had time to stay longer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Monterey, California
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I chose this place for three nights as it was close to Universal Studios for a great price with free internet and parking! The room setup was great with very comfortable beds and great linens. The murals on the headboard side of the bed were amazing. The bathroom was adequate in size and came with a large deep tub which was appreciated. I think my gf and I had the best room in the entire place. Room 126. The room came with cement flooring which was welcomed during hot summer days and nights! Service was really good up until the very end. I wanted to pay with two separate cards, but was told that they had already run the charge because it needed to be done by a certain time. No big deal, but couldn't understand why he didn't offer to refund the first card and charge the other. The mural was very dusty like they haven't dusted it in a long time.

Final Thoughts: Would have received 5 stars if not for the dust and service upon checkout. Oh and their heated pool was a pleasure to use!

Room Tip: Get room 126
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burbank
Central L.A
Central L.A
Sheraton Universal Hotel
Sheraton Universal Hotel
#111 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to The Tangerine? Share your experiences!