“Most disgusting place I have ever stayed in”

Rodeway Inn Near Maingate Knott's
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Buena Park
Sun City, California
“Most disgusting place I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I would give this nauseating excuse of a motel no rating if I could. My husband booked this placed because of the decent rating on tripadvisor and we will never use it again. Drug dealers, pimps, and prostitutes were seen while we stayed there. Long black hairs all over our supposedly cleaned bathroom. My husband refused to sleep under the covers for fear of the diseases he might catch. We will NEVER stay here again.

4 Thank fashionqueen24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I were looking for an affordable place to stay while visiting Knott's for a couple days. when we found this place, we thought it was perfect. It is within walking distance to the park and it is one of the lowest priced hotel/motel options in the area. Our experience was anything but perfect. It may seem like a good deal, but spend a few extra dollars and stay somewhere else.
First off, let me start by saying that we have stayed in all classes of hotels and motels, from 5 star luxury to the now out of business Glass Pool Inn in Las Vegas (it seemed like a funny idea at the time). One of my favorite low budget places to stay when I go to Vegas to this day is the Motel 6 off of Tropicana, so I am by no means "too good for this place". That being said, I do have minimum standards. This place fell way short of those standards.
The front desk lady was pleasant enough, but the lobby reeked of curry. It was very strong and unpleasant. Fair enough, it's not in my room, so I can overlook the smell in the lobby. After checking in and walking onto the property past the front desk, I was immediately greeted by an alleged prostitute who asked me if I needed any help. I politely declined her help and proceeded back to the car to gather up the family. On the way up to our room, we passed by a group of men that were loitering around the property. I can't say for sure that they were pimps or drug dealers, but if they weren't, they were sure wearing the uniforms. Seriously, this place appears to have a problem with pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers, and by the looks of some of the residents (possible long term residents, not sure), drug addicts. There appears to be pimps literally hanging out in the parking lot or around the hotel property. Needless to say, we didn't feel safe at all.
when we got to the room, we were met with a dirty bathroom. It was cleaned by the staff, there was even a band over the toilet that said it was 'sanitized for your safety'. However, there were also black hairs all over the bathroom, including on the toilet that was 'sanitized for your safety', in the bathtub, and on the sink and floor. The rest of the room wasn't any better. All of the surfaces weren't dirty, but they also didn't scream clean, if you know what I mean. The beds were the worst thing about the room. We had a 2 queen room. One for the kids and one for the wife and I. My wife described it best when she said that it felt, and sounded, like the beds were wrapped in a trash bag. We had a very uncomfortable night sleep and awoke early to spend the day at Knott's. Our original plan was to leave the car in the hotel parking lot and walk to Knott's, but after realizing that we would have to leave all of our stuff in the car since we were checking out, and considering the clientele that we saw hanging around the property, we decided it was in our best interest to drive across the street and pay $15 to park at Knott's. That was $15 that I had expected to save by staying at a hotel across the street from the park. Oh well, it's a discount for pace of mind.

3 Thank cwilson77

Travelers are raving about these Buena Park hotels

United States
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Unlike a lot of people writing reviews here, we didn't stay here because we were going to Knott's. But man is it close! You can hear the joyous screams of riders from the check in desk (don't worry, not from your room!) It looks like they did some remodeling, when we were there a ton of furniture was being moved out. The beds were really comfortable. The AC worked really well. We got a room on the ground floor which I was apprehensive about at first but it ended up being fine. It shares a parking lot with IHOP which is great because their "breakfast" was prepackaged muffins and coffee. I'd stay again, sure why not!

1 Thank Alexia P
Big Bear Lake, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My daughter was in a dance competition at Knotts, and we had enough stress going on without having to worry about finding/paying for parking, meeting in the right spot, etc. The Rodeway Inn Maingate was a great solution. We were able to easily walk to Knotts, without ever having to move our vehicle from the motel parking lot (free parking, too!). There were also numerous nice restaurants within walking distance as well. The check-in/check-out was quick and courteous, and the room was decent and clean. They also supplied a light continental breakfast in the lobby, and the rooms all came with a coffee maker, microwave and small fridge for our drinks. There's also a pool and spa, but we didn't have time to enjoy them. While it's not the Ritz, for what we needed, this fit the bill perfectly! AND, it was VERY reasonably priced! If we had to go back to Knotts for a competition, or for fun, I would definitely come back to this Inn.

2 Thank Myrmyr971
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We found this motel for our vacation in a motels.com search and couldn't beat the price. Upon first impression the motel seemed decent enough and the location is perfect. My kids were excited that the pool was open but as we walked past to get to our room there was a huge party/bbq taking place right beside it with loud, vulgar music blaring and a lot of rough housing in the pool itsw. So I sadly had to ban my kids from the pool area. The room was clean and the bathroom seemed to have been updated. The bed was quite comfortable. We all feel asleep easily. Until about 3 am when we were awakened by what seemed to be a domestic dispute in the room next door. The yelling, screaming, crying quickly escalated into a full on brawl with furniture being thrown, things or people loudly being flung into the wall and physical violence. My kids were horrified, as was I. It lasted a good 30 mins total. If i hadn't been leaving that morning early for Disneyland I would have left then and there. Better security would be a definite plus!

• Stayed March 2013
Copperas Cove
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After reading the reviews I thought this place must be nice. The woman at the front desk was pleasant and efficient. I was helped quickly and given my key. When I walked into my room I was shocked and wanting to run the other way. Nothing about this hotel is clean or remodeled. The sheets had stuff all over them. Luckily I had my own pillows and blankets. I truly want to ask for my money back so I can go elsewhere. The good reviews are very misleading. The only good thing is location for people that want to be close to Knotts or Medieval Times. I would never tell anyone to stay here. I would rather pay a little more to feel safe and have a clean room.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Cdp74
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

No, this is not the Hyatt or Hilton or Hampton Inn. However, this hotel had clean rooms, comfortable beds, and you can hit Knott's Berry with a rock from the parking lot. We found it very handy to be able to came back midday and relax a little before attacking the park anew in the evening. I'm not sure if there is another hotel that I would consider to be in easy walking distance of the park, but I could be wrong. The continental breakfast, as one would imagine, is nothing to get excited about but they do have some juices, coffee, donuts, etc. out each morning. Overall, this place is a great value and I would certainly stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family