“Good Location, property is getting a little tired and smelly”

Holiday Inn Buena Park Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Buena Park
Bainbridge Island WA
“Good Location, property is getting a little tired and smelly”
Reviewed October 19, 2007

This hotel looks like it was a really nice place in the 80's. The lobby and entrance are ok and there are a lot of meeting rooms.

My room was in a detached building that appeared to have little security for access. The room was what you'd expect in a Holiday Inn, but perhaps a bit more dingy.

Room service trays on the floor in the hallway during the entire visit. Wireless internet worked very well. Based upon west coast hotels, $75 or less would be a reasonable rate. Any more and there are better options very close.

• Liked — The wireless internet
  • Disliked — the cleanliness and outdated decor
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Kat&John
mbruckler, E-Commerce and General Manager at Holiday Inn Buena Park Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2007
Kat&John,
Thank you for your comments, and we're glad that you appreciate the free wireless internet access available to our guests. We are assuming that based on your comments, you were placed on a smoking floor/wing - possibly due to high occupancies and booking through a 3rd party source (when you don't book directly through the hotel via phone or website, room types aren't always guaranteed). We do have a plan in place, due to the high demand for non-smoking rooms to reduce the number of smoking rooms/floors in the hotel that will alleviate concerns such as yours. We have also recently implemented a new room service program geared towards ensuring trays are picked up regularly.
As management, we want to let you know that we do listen (and read) your comments and concerns - that's how we learn to be and serve better. Our only request is that you let us know prior to your departure so that we can ensure your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
We look forward to your next visit.
Holiday Inn Buena Park Management and Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I have stayed at this Holiday Inn 4 or 5 times. I book it when I take my kids to Knotts. (Book the the three star hotel in Buena Park for $50- 60 on Priceline and you will get this hotel) I would not stay here otherwise.

The overall customer service at this hotel is good, although we were left a few times at the restaurant for 15 or 20 minutes waiting for the server to pick up the check when we needed change. I had to hunt down anyone to help us at all when we entered the restaurant twice. The free meals for the kids is a big plus, especially in an area near Knotts and Disney and the servers are generally nice. (There are much nicer hotels in the Disney area and deals can still be found).

The hotel is old and needs to be updated. The toiletries and towels are better at a Motel 6, honestly. The towels at the pool are cheap and thin and the size of a hand towel. I gave two to each of my small children, but for me, are you kidding?? Ever seen the scene from Starsky and Hutch with the little towels in the locker room? Not good..

The bath towels were so rough and cheap, I did not like showering there. (No, that had nothing to do with the poor service in the restaurant.)

The beds were too hard for me. I asked if any eggshell mattress covers could be provided and was looked at like I was from Mars. I guess I have been spoiled on cruises.

I did not think the property was maintained very well. The Hot Tub was broken for two consecutive weeks, with no indication it would be fixed any time soon. The restaurant was not kept very clean, from crumbs on the floor, table and seats to obvious finger prints left on brass colored rails that surround the seating area. Maybe I'm being picky, but these folks were often sitting in a corner talking with each other passing the time when I noticed how dirty it was.

I had the feeling that the staff was more concerned that the areas and service in the convention halls were up to par, compared with the hotel patrons.

I would stay at this hotel again only if I got a great deal. Don't spend more than $60 a night and you will not feel cheated and of course only stay here if you have young children.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Cruiser39
mbruckler, E-Commerce and General Managers at Holiday Inn Buena Park Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2007
Dear'Cruiser39'-
Thank you so much for recognizing our overall great service levels. We certainly strive to exceed our guests' expectations in service and peformance.
We would, however, like to address your concerns. We have recognized during busy periods, such as when you visited, that we must have additional staffing, especially in the restaurant so that our levels of service and cleanliness meet/exceed those in the rest of the hotel. We also know that, as you stated, the Kids Eat Free program is a huge benefit and a great way for families to add value to their vacation.
In regards to the bathroom amenitites, you'll be happy (as we are) to know that we've upgraded to the Garden Botanica line of amenities, new shower heads, curved shower rods, and we are in the process of upgrading our linens (including towels) to a thicker, plusher terry. This is to be complete within the next 90 days. We are excited about our new bath experience, as i'm sure guests such as yourself will be.
We are also beginning the process of upgrading our bed linens - this will create a fresh, contemporary new look in our guest rooms, in addition to that in our bathrooms.

Some of our beds, as you commented, are firm. Many guests like firm mattresses, and many like softer mattresses -- from a hotel perspective we strive to please all of our guests (which can be difficult). We have, however, decided to place 'pillow-toppers' on the mattresses that will enable us to meet the great majority of guest expectations in regards to bed comfort. These should all be in place within the next 30 days.

As you can see, we are in the process of a major face-lift! We have learned through conversations and comments such as yours where we need to spend out time, engery (and $$) to ensure that your future stays are as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We certainly appreciate your comments and encourage you (and others) to talk to us personally during your stay if there is anything that we can do to make your visit more enjoyable.

Warm regards,
Traycee, Melissa and the entire team at Holiday Inn Buena Park Hotel & Conference Center
Ed, Sweden
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I wanted to comment on my recent stay at the Holiday Inn. I had called the morning of the day that I was to check in to inform them that I would be checking in late (we didn't arrive until 12 midnight), and they said that they would make a note of it.
Well, I guess the note was for them to give me the last and worst possible room. I guess I should have requested a non-smoking when I first called, however, I have never had a problem in the past. Once we got to our floor, I realized that it was smoking rooms, well, because it reeked the odor of smoke! We entered our room and I immediately called the front desk to see if we could transfer to a non-smoking room. They were so kind to inform me that they were fully-booked for the evening, however, they would take note, once again, and call me back the following morning to try to accommodate my request. Well, to make the long story short, I never received a phone call and never was given a non-smoking room.
Overall, I am not completely going to bash the Holiday Inn Buena Park for it was conveniently close to the attractions that my wife and I attended. However, if I can put in this way, the inside is definitely not as nice as the outside!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Proppracted
mbruckler, Ecommerce Manager at Holiday Inn Buena Park Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2007
NVDeeJay - thank you for your post. First, we apologize that you didn't enjoy your guestroom, as a non-smoker myself, I don't appreciate smelling smoke in my living area. Our hotel is made up of 80% non-smoking rooms, unfortunately when we are in a sold out situation, as we often are throughout summer, guests who do not reserve non-smoking rooms may get placed in smoking accommodations. In regards to the front desk agent not following up, that is inexcusable and our front office manager will be addressing this concern directly with her staff.
We do pride ourselves not only on the quality of our hotel, but the quality of the service we provide - our goal is to exceed guest expectations. We sincerely apologize we failed you during your stay. Please know that this is not our normal level of service and we certainly hope that you will give us a chance to show you how great we, at the Holiday Inn Buena Park, can be.

Melissa Bruckler
Calgary
Reviewed July 3, 2007

The hotel is situated right off the Highway 91, so one side of the hotel is subject to freeway noise. I stayed on the 4th floor (executive floor?) and had access to a very simple and hearty hot and cold breakfast buffet on that floor. Not sure if this is available to all guests, but ask. My initial experience with front desk staff was rushed and impersonal, but I did manage to speak with one attentive employee who was able to move me from a noisy freeway-side room to a quieter pool-side room. Internet access at the hotel was wireless and complimentary (plus-plus!) The hotel also had complimentary shuttles to/from DIsneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. The hotel also had access to tours of other attractions (e.g. Getty Centre in LA). My room had a King with a pull-out couch which was perfect for my 4-person family. Furnishings seemed new. Bathroom was clean. Good shower. Everything in the room worked well. Nice outdoor pool and hot tub. Onsite laundry came in handy for my long stay. Very close to Disneyland, Knott's, and shopping. Great for families. Would stay again.

• Liked — Location and shuttle
  • Disliked — Noise from freeway on one-side of hotel.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank kwad
Denver, CO
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Just got back last Sunday. The hotel overall is ok. There were 3 of us in a room. We were given a smoking room and of course we dont smoke. The smell bothered us. My son had to sleep on a sofa bed and was uncomfortable. What prompt me to write was the inconvenience of the shuttle to the Disney area.
Pay close attention to their drop off and pick up times. They do change daily. If you dont make reservations then you must wait til the passengers who did get on first. If there is room then you may board the shuttle. They make no exceptions for you either.
We were leaving back home on a Sunday afternoon and wanted to go shopping at Downtown Disney in the morning. Our schedule did not agree with theirs and they refused to pick us up.
We had reservations for dinner at the Rainforest Cafe and had to rush through our meal so we could get the shuttle back.
Long story short....pay the extra $200-$300 to stay near Disney.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Jennadova
Dear 'Disappointed'
We apologize that you were checked into a smoking room when you prefer a non-smoking room. The majority of our rooms are non-smoking, so please do request a non-smoking room when making your next reservation -- we do try our very best to give guests their preference in room type upon checkin if we know ahead of time.
You mentioned our shuttle service. It is difficult to ensure every guest is able to get to and return from Disneyland and Knotts at the exact time they want to (with 248 guest rooms) - however, we do understand your frustration. The transportation schedule we have developed is our attempt at satisfying the needs of many guests and getting them to Disney and the local attractions as efficiently as possible. Trying to meet the needs of some customers, it seems, inconveniences other -- please know that we do try our very best to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we sincerely apologize that we failed to do so in your case. We do hope that you give us the opportunity in the future to prove ourselves again to you (and, as you said, save the $200-$300 you would spend staying in Anaheim).

Melissa Bruckler
anchorage
Reviewed May 10, 2007

We booked this through an Alaska airlines deal. I emailed the hotel and requested a pool view room per a review on tripadvisor. We were booked into the room overlooking the pool and the hotel and staff were awesome! I did not think it was inconvienent at all to Disneyland. In fact I thought the exact opposite. Anyway, we had a blast, the pool area is wonderful, the staff and rooms are great and we would have no problem staying here again. It is right across from Target and Dennys and there is a subway in the parking lot adjacent to the hotel as well as a coffee shop.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — no fridge in room, but I think you can request one
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2007

Just got back. Was booked in this hotel as part of an airline vacation package, so it was a good deal for the money. The overall appearance of the hotel is nice. The lobby area gives a good first impression. The staff were all very courteous. The rooms were OK. Nice and clean, but a bit small and the bathroom was similar to what you would find in an older Holiday Inn Express - Plain, white, small. The beds were pretty standard for two to three star hotels, OK if you prefer hard beds. Our room overlooked the lobby roof, but at least we weren't on the freeway offramp side, which I hear is noisy. The hotel is sandwiched between a freeway and a very busy roads, so don't expect a peaceful environment when you go outside.

Ate in the restaraunt twice. Food is pretty mediocre. However, given the prices we paid for food at Disneyland and the fact that our kids ate free, we were OK with it.

The pool was a nice perk. Since it was heated, my kids could swim in the evening after a long day at Disneyland.

Finally, the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to Disneyland. This was surprising given the distance from the park. I was somewhat dismayed when we first checked in around noon that the next shuttle to the park was at 3 pm. I was under the assumption that it ran more frequently. However, this wasn't too much of a problem once we figured out the system. The shuttles typically ran a half hour before park opening, and then a half hour after opening, then 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 6 pm, 8 pm, 10 pm and then closing (if later). So if you are staying here, understand there is no shuttle back to the hotel during the heat of the day. Also, be sure you reserve your spot on the shuttle the evening before. They sometimes fill up. If so, you are out of luck. When you board the shuttle they will ask you what time you plan to return. Be sure you have thought through how long you plan to stay at the park, because as I stated before the shuttles fill up which means you can't change your return time. The shuttle drivers were great and very friendly. Show your appreciation and tip them each time you ride!!!

• Liked — The staff and the pool
  • Disliked — The location - surrounded by freeway and busy roads.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family