“Awesome location; Friendly staff”
Review of Colony Inn

Colony Inn
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Buena Park
MsGlo1984
“Awesome location; Friendly staff”
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Went down for Knotts Berry Farm HAUNT and did not book a hotel. After looking at other overpriced hotels with not so nice rooms, stopped in at the the Super 8 to check out the rooms and prices. Staff was super friendly and gladly showed us a room, which was larger than expected. Big parking lot (had trouble parking at some other hotels later on at night due to lack of spaces), very clean, comfy beds and actually very quiet at night. Easily within walking distance to Knotts Berry Farm, so we did not have to pay the parking fees for the park. Even had a friend drive down to go with us and they let him park his car there as well, even though he was not staying. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good value or is visiting Knotts.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank MsGlo1984

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I stayed 3 nights with my husband and kids. We were out all day, came just to sleep. The complaints I have is that there was no coffeemaker in my room and no hot water for my tea in the breakfast room the first day. I had nice comfortable beds were I felt rested, and enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to Knotts and other attractions. The maid was fantastic, as she cleaned our room well and provided us with extra towels as requested. The kids enjoyed the swimming pool.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kitynita
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 26, 2009

First off - some of these reviews seem to be of a totally different location. I was so nervous about this place and for NO REASON! The staff let us check in early and they even let us park there while not being checked in (we were in Knots Berry Farm). The parking was right in front of our room...the pool was great and the rooms? Clean, neat, everything worked and the rooms were bigger than what is usual. There was even a fridge. Wallgreens is right next door, so if you need water...it's right there. Food places are around the corner--nothing to really walk to. So, we saved $12 by NOT parking across the street at Knotts Berry Farm and slept soooo good!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank califmac
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Paid $60 a night, was a great price and a good clean hotel. Room was a lot bigger than than we thought it was going to be. No problems at all, area around hotel was safe and clean. No real food close but a short drive, there is lots to choose from. Breakfast was ok, enough to get you going, coffee,cereal, toast, juice and muffins. Front desk had nice friendly employees, maids did a good job, after there yelling match at each other in the maids storage room. Would stay there again.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Subic97
USA
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I stayed at this hotel more than 15 times over the past 3 years when it was part of the Choice Hotels chain. It was always one of the least expensive Choice Hotels properties in the 10-15 mile surrounding area, and I had been surprised at the value for the money. Yes, I am somewhat cheap, but I won't stay somewhere that has issues with noise, cleanliness, or service.

The most recent review I see here is for a hotel in Illinois and is obviously not about this hotel next to Knotts in California. The next most recent review mentioned old hole-punch style key cards which are not the kind of cards this hotel has been using since I've been staying there since 2005. Maybe the hotel was upgraded since these people stayed there.

I think some of these other reviews are for another hotel that is nearby which has a similar name. I've never stayed at that one but it does look very low end. This one is a basic choice hotels kind of property.

When I started staying here in 2005 they had new fixtures in the bathrooms and the rooms seemed to have been redone. Since then it was always kept very well. I believe this is a family-owned property and most of the family do various jobs from front desk to maintenance. They were always responsive to me when it came to replacing a battery in a chirping fire alarm or changing a light or a battery in a remote for the TV.

There is also a front office which has a lobby inside. They have a night window as do most properties of this type but they've let me in the lobby before very early in the morning when I had to check out super early. So again, perhaps the reviewer hadn't stayed there since 2005.

The rooms have usually clean and odor free, and most of the time I had a quiet stay. Once in a while a large group of kids was staying there on a weekend since it's so close to knotts but the staff would usually help in asking them to stay quiet if they were too loud, and I appreciated that.

Some other positives were that there are plenty of parking spaces here, and it's a walk across the street to Knotts! They also have an outdoor pool and a lot of cable channels on the TV, and again they were usually the lowest priced Choice Hotel property around. I tried others in adjoining cities but returned to this one all the time.

My only issues were that the breakfast was just continental but I usually don't wake up in time for these anyway, and for the rate I always got here I wouldn't expect much. My other issue was that sometimes the new air conditioners would go into standby for periods of time when I wanted the fan to continue blowing. They are pretty quiet but sometimes I like the noise to mask out the outside noises, and these fans sort of turn off when the compressor isn't running.

I stopped staying here as of November 2007 only because this hotel is no longer part of the Choice Hotels chain, and therefore I can't earn points in that reward program or airline miles. If that is important to you as it is to me it may be a reason to not stay there.

• Liked — the price for a good place
  • Disliked — the air conditioners turn on and off a lot
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank alwayztravelin
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2007

My husband and I stayed there a few years ago, and it is BY FAR the worst hotel experience we'd ever had. First of all, it's in the hood. They don't tell you that on Expedia. I almost ran over a bum on the way there. We pulled up after spending a whole day at Knott's Berry and found that you have to wait OUTSIDE in the COLD to check in. These poor families were ahead of us with all of their little kids, freezing, and the employee could not find their reservations. Luckily (or maybe not) they finally found ours. The key to the room? An old-fashioned credit card-sized piece of plastic with little holes in it, which did not work. My husband had to walk back down and 20 mins later a maintenance man finally showed up and let us in. We get inside--no linens on the bed. There was a coffee table, but NO COUCH!!! It was so disgusting that I was afraid to pick up the phone and ask for sheets, pillows and a bedspread but I did. Before housekeeping could even make it, we carried all of our luggage down and checked out. The guy even refunded us 100%. That was the only good thing I could say about it. Oh, also, there were about 10 rooms full of drunken teens hanging over the balconies and partying LOUDLY. So that was pretty annoying, too. We were so disgusted we almost cut our vaca short and started to head back home to Vegas when the clouds parted and a ray of sunlight beamed down from the heavens and illuminated the very thing that would save our vacation from ruins...the Embassy Suites. I believe I even heard a choir of angels in the background. Of course, being Thanksgiving night at an Embassy Suites, last minute, we paid more for that room than we had for all 3 nights a the Colony Inn. But we had a hot shower, a luxurious suite and an awesome breakfast!!! Anytime my husband wants to go cheap on the hotels, I remind him of our Colony Inn experience. Of course we laugh about it now... Moral: You get what you pay for. Stay at the Embassy Suites!!!

• Liked — The full refund they gave us
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2003, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen_Griswold
laguna
Reviewed November 26, 2006

If you're planning a trip to Knotts Berry Farm this hotel is the place to stay. We had a nice room with a mini fridge and microwave. The location is great and the front counter staff very helpful and courteous. Will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends