“Highlight of our whole trip”

Medieval Times Buena Park
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament Buena Park
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Buena Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Travel to the 11th Century at Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament. In SoCal, home to so many theme park and family entertainment destinations, one stands alone for its unique and grand scale entertainment. Where else can you enter a European style castle and be immediately transported to the 11th century? Where else can you dine on a feast fit for a King while cheering your favorite knight to victory as he skillfully jousts and swordfights his mighty opponent while atop a magnificent Andalusian stallion. This extraordinary destination is Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament in Buena Park. It’s been entertaining guests since 1986. And if you haven’t yet experienced it, now is the time.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Abosultely loved this night, we got picked up from our hotel and taken to the dinner and show, we really got into it and the food was great but it was the show which made it the best fun.

All reviews
in 27 reviews
"pre show"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed November 2, 2010

Purchase tickets through the website, they have great deals. Although, the pictures on their website don't do it justice (i.e. dinner portions). We thought we were getting a small chicken leg, instead we rec'd a side of chicken. The dessert was fantastic and heated. Each table has their own waiter/waitress for more personal attention: outstanding! Also, it is requested that you arrive 1hr before the start of the show, probably so you can buy up everything in the gift shops. If on a budget wait until you are seated for the show. Vendors will walk by your table with lower priced items (i.e. cheering banners priced from $1 to $5 unlike the $10 price at the gift shop)

2  Thank ourtravfam
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I went with my 7 y/o nephew. It's good to get to your show at the recommended time so you have an opportunity to walk around and see the amazing horses. Watching the "King" knight folks who paid a fee was also entertaining. We paid the extra fee and my nephew was knighted. He was delighted and our evening was off to a great start. The food was good and plentiful but that's not why you really go. You go so you can cheer for your knight in the jousting and sword fighting tournament. And they also do a wonderful session with these amazing horses and handlers that I appreciated a lot but my nephew found a bit boring. The actual tournament was well acted and my little nephew screamed his lungs out cheering on our knight. After the show we tracked down "our" knight and my nephew told him that he'd done a really good job. I took a couple photos and my nephew talked about it for days afterward. When we got home, every bit of furniture was stabbed and whacked as he imagined knights and great battles. It was worth the money.

2  Thank Wronda
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Here's the thing: it's a novel form of entertainment and the food was pretty decent, BUT... it was horribly overpriced and I felt like they were saying "Welcome to Medieval Times, now give us your wallet and let us suck all the money out of you we possibly can".

They tell you to arrive 90 minutes early to reserve your spot for the show, but it's really a ploy to get you to shop in the gift shop, buy overpriced drinks, and pay for expensive knighting ceremonies. When you walk in, you are taken to meet "the princess" or "the king" and your picture is taken with them, which is also a souvenir that costs an additional $20. Want a soda? It will cost you $5. Want to get knighted? $25., please. Want an "upgraded" seating package? That will be an extra $20 per person. Want to see the much lauded torture chamber? That'll be an extra $2. per person. During the meal, people are wandering around trying to sell glittery things and colored flags. It never ends. Tips and gratuities are also not included, and you will be reminded of this fact by your server at the end of the night, after she's reappeared after serving you as fast as she could and then disappearing until it's tip time and then she's asking you if everything is all right, as she slips you a card asking for a gratuity.

I'm pretty sure they are making a killing on these dinner shows, since they would make approximately $27,975.00 if 500 people spent $55.95 for admission, and that's per show. They have 8 shows weekly, so this place is already grossing $223,800. per week and that's without any of the "extras" or kids admissions, or gift shop sales tallied in. They really don't need to gouge us for more, do they? Really?

Thank goodness I got a discount on tickets. As it was for only the three of us I spent $170 on the night out and that was with no alcoholic drinks.

I've been to Medieval Times in the past at different locations and I remember the food being worse then, so that's improved but the show has actually declined. It was very poorly acted... poorly choreographed, (at one point during the joust, one knight was hit with the lance and stayed on his horse until it was almost out of the arena, and then suddenly rolled off the horse... it was like "Oh yeah... I was supposed to be unhorsed, better roll off now") and not very exciting. My 7 year old daughter had a great time and was thrilled, but I would not go back.

I think it was a better value going to Knott's Berry Farm, for about the same money spent - and there we got to stay the entire day, see shows, and go on rides.

3  Thank Mamamootz
See more reviews
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We go to CA every summer to visit my friend & enjoy Disneyland with the kids. This year is our first time going to see Medieval Times, last year we saw the Pirate Dinner Theatre.

First, my youngest daughter LOOOOOVES horses so seeing them was very nice. It would have been even better if we would have been able to pet them but I imagine that might lead to health issues with the horses.

We did find the items in the gift shop to be very nice but also pricey. I heard the drinks before the show (sold in the bar area) were expensive but we did not buy any.

We got there minutes after the doors opened to get a good seat without paying the extra $10 per person for the upgrade (which included guaranteed front row seats, a small banner to wave, a DVD & a program if I remember correctly).

They have "knighting" ceremonies where you get knighted by the king & get a picture of it performed in the lobby of the castle in front of everyone who gathers to watch but I heard it was $20 per person.

The chicken & potato was overcooked, the spare rib was fatty. The garlic bread was good. I was told the tomato soup was good (but I don't like tomato soup). The cup they serve the drink in was a bit small. Basically, the best part of the meal was the bread.

Now, for the only thing that made it worthwhile, the blue knight. We went on Tues. 6/1/2010 & our blue knight was captivating. Each knight is tossed carnations from the queen then they ride to their section of the crowd & toss them to the girls. My oldest daughter got one (out of 9) & was very happy. Later on each knight gets ONE sash that says "Queen of Love & Beauty" which is placed on their lance by the queen. Our knight (blue) rode right over to my youngest daughter & gave her the sash. She was sooooo happy!

The waitstaff gives you the opportunity to buy a picture of your group that is taken as you enter the castle. It comes in a cardboard placemat that opens like a book & is $20. We passed on that one but after my daughter got the sash they came over & took a picture of her with it & asked us if we wanted to buy it for $20 & we did as a nice memento.

During the show the knights joust & do hand to hand combat in the sand. There are also a few intermissions where trainers accompany horses who prance & dance around the ring.

At the end of the show the king & queen pose for pictures with the audience (for free) & the knights stand in the bar area to sign autograph books, etc. & take pictures with the audience (for free). When the blue knight posed for a pic with my girls my oldest said "When he touched my shoulder I thought I was going to hyperventilate." She's 11 years old & it made her week.

Overall, because of the entertainment we were happy we went & would go again if we could be assured the same knight would be working & we could be sat in his section again. We were lucky enough to have buy 1 get 1 free coupons (adult price only) so we were able to get in at $30 per person.

BTW, the red knight looked a little like Orlando Bloom but the blue knight was the best out of the 5 or 6 they had! We only had eye for...blue <3

2  Thank ebaymama1