“Poor service, so-so food”

Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 236 Restaurants in Buena Park
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We decided to take a break from hot dogs and leave the park to eat. Seemed like we could get a nice family style dinner at Mrs. Knott's so we got in line. There were 8 of us and they were able to seat us relatively quickly. It all went downhill from there.

The service was absolutely awful. They double-sat our waitress, but we waited forever while she waited on the table that was seated at the same time and they had drinks and some of their food before she even came by our table at all. I've been a waitress - it takes 2 seconds to stop by our table and at least acknowledge our existence and say she'll be with us soon. She took our orders (since by then we had been sitting for quite a while) and proceeded to bring out soup and biscuits, but no drinks. No drinks for at least 20 minutes - coming out of the park we were all thirsty because it was a hot day. She made a big deal that we needed to agree on a salad dressing for the family style because it's pre-tossed. The only options were thousand island and ranch. We picked ranch, but it didn't matter since we never got our salad. By the time our food came it was just a pain to ask for the salad and she finally realized it and offered to bring it in a to-go container so we could take it with us. Left-over salad really doesn't travel well, so we declined.

The chicken was just OK, the potatoes were lumpy, and the gravy was almost solid and luke warm. They're going to make someone sick if they're not careful.

The dessert was just OK.

The price wasn't an issue - for similar tourist trap restaurants in Michigan (Frankenmuth) a family style chicken dinner is more expensive. However, those meals are almost always worth it. This one, not so much.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Always a must visit when in Anahiem. Great food, a lot of food, for cheap! Family fun atmosphere. My family has been coming here for ages.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our family ate at Mrs. Knott's for the first time this March and I'm glad we did! We waited in line for about 45 minutes but we didn't mind. Looks like they typically have a long wait to get into this place. Their fried chicken was yummy.... and so was the cooked cabbage, biscuits, noodle soup, salad, mashed potatoes, apple pie, and boysenberry pie! Portions are huge so go hungry. Service was a bit slow and it took awhile to get our food. Being that we were tired from a long day at the theme park we didn't mind that much sitting around talking and waiting for the food. Overall, I would go again.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Not sure why this has such rave reviews!! Would never have chosen to go here, given the menu & smells coming from the kitchens, but we are on holiday with family & were told we all had to go because it's "THE place" at Knott's ... If you like average deep fried chicken, sloppy mash, gravy & biscuits (bread sauce & salty scones to us Brits), over cooked cabbage, and poor service - Then I'm sure you'll love it!! If not, there's a TGI Fridays over the road, which I'd much rather have been in!!!
Knowing that I wouldn't enjoy the above, I opted to have the chicken wings starter as my main. This probably would have been much nicer if the sweet chilli type sauce had been drizzled over the chicken & nacho type chips, it was however completely swimming in it!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband had never eaten here but I have so I expected the almost-one hour wait in line. Although the chicken dinner was really good and so were the sides (especially the boysenberry pie!), it would be nice if they cleaned the area where we ate up a little. It was located in the very back of the restaurant and looked like it hadn't been painted in 50 years. Our server was fantastic and very personable and we showed our satisfaction in our tip. I would go back but my husband won't be able to stand in line and I'll have to figure out when a good time to go is.

Thank K. B