“Not bad for price and location”

Portola Inn and Suites
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Buena Park
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Having stayed at practically every hotel in Buena Park, this is by far the best I have stayed at in the price category. There are definitely nicer hotels in the area, but for the price, this wasn't bad. Based on the reviews, I was a bit worried. Having bad experiences at Good Nite Inn and the Buena Park Hotel and Suites, I decided to try somewhere new and less expensive than the Holiday Inn, Knott's Hotel, Courtyard and Holiday Inn nearby.

Check-in was easy. It appears as if the hotel is family owned. There was a husband and wife (?) with their young boy behind the counter at check-in. It also looks as if they live on property in the office suite next to the lobby. The only draw-back... a STRONG smell of curry as I checked in. I love curry, but not necessarily when I am checking in.

The room itself was older, but looked as if it had been updated recently. It has new paint, newer carpet, a new granite bathroom sink and bathroom updates. The room also had a brand new microwave, refrigerator and free wi-fi. It was also VERY, VERY clean and smelled fresh. I always clean the room with Clorox wipes upon entering, and there was NO dirt on the wipes.

Parking is right outside the door. Other reviewers complained about this, but since I was in and out for business meetings (and a trip to Disneyland), I actually appreciated the convenience of not having to haul my bags through multiple hallways.

I didn't try the breakfast or use the pool. The pool is RIGHT next to the street and is very small, but that's not what I was there for. The wi-fi worked great.

Knowing Buena Park, I did not think the are was unsafe, or bad. Buena Park is old and the area around the hotel may not look the best, but I do not feel unsafe there at all. It is less than a mile to Knotts, Pirates and Medieval Times. There is a Sizzler across the street and a Target a block away. The Buena Park Downtown Mall is a half-mile away down Stanton. The 91 and 5 freeways are easily accessed and Disneyland was 6 miles away.

The only minor complaint (if you can call them that) was the noisy light/fan in the bathroom and the refrigerator was a tad bit noisy.

I would and WILL stay here again. In fact, I was going to stay a third night (Friday), but they were booked. Instead, I opted to drive up to Santa Clarita and stay with my dad... for FREE.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank phxaztravel
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to know that your found our hotel to be the best in the mid-scale category out of all other hotels in the same category in Buena Park. We pride ourselves in providing clean, comfortable and friendly accommodations at a great value! Look forward to serving you again on your next visit to the Orange county area!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Spent one night here for an two-trip to Knott's Berry Farm/Soak City. The location is ok... close to the parks, but on a bit of a a seedy stretch of Orangethorp. Online the photos looked much better than it actually was. The facade is right on the front of the street, not much landscaping, and once you drive through the portico you are in a basic 'L' shaped motorcourt. Exterior hallways, one elevator smack dab in the middle. The pool is TINY for the size of the hotel, and crammed right up next to the loading zone for the lobby. If you have a first floor room, the parking spaces are right outside your door, so if someone leaves before you in the morning there will be talking and doors slamming to wake you up.

The rooms themselves are ok. The floor felt kind of soapy/foamy. Not sure why.. they looked clean but just felt weird. The bathroom sink is in the same room with the tub and toilet. Made it difficult to get everyone ready in the morning. BRING YOUR OWN TOWELS if you stay here. These towels are as rough and thin as sandpaper. No exaggeration. My skin was actually red from trying to dry off with those useless things.

The room is spacious... we had two queens and fit my daughter's port-a-crib in the room with space to spare. There is a refrigerator but if you want to use it plug it in when you first arrive... it takes forever to cool.

Breakfast in the morning was kind of a joke. There is a table smack in the way of the lobby doors so you have to squeeze between it and the lobby front window to get in line for what's left. We got down there at 9am and there were a few oranges, 2 tiny prewrapped cinnamon rolls, and a bowl of tiny prewrapped muffins on the table. (I had to reach around seated people to get one of those). No juice, just coffee, which I could have gotten in my room. There were lots more people behind me and there was NOT enough food for everyone. The desk attendant was just standing there, when obviously the 'breakfast' needed a refill. Needless to say, most of our group stopped at the Burger King that is right on the way to Knott's.

Yes, the price and location are good, but shop around and stay somewhere with a little more pride in itself. At this hotel, just ok seems good enough for them.

Room Tip: Top floor best, but if you have lots of gear choose closer to elevator. If you don't mind your d...
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for providing with us on feedback on your recent stay at our Buena Park hotel. We would like to apologize for not being able to meet your expectations. We will look into all your valuable feedback and continue to improve our service and amenity offerings. We hope you will provide with another opportunity to showcase our best on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I took my family to Knotts Berry Farm and this hotel worked out perfect. The rooms were super clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was nice as well. For where it is located (by Knotts Berry Farm) the price is very reasonable and has all the amenities that you need when you stay at a hotel. I enjoyed the breakfast too...they had muffins, granola bars, coffee, etc. My Overall experience was great from making the reservation to checking out. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay at it again.

Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

We are delighted to know that your stay was a fabulous one at our Buena Park Hotel. We will share your wonderful remarks about our cleanliness with our great housekeeping team members. It is our goal to provide our guests with clean, comfortable, and friendly accommodations at a great value. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to the Knott's Berry Farm area!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

The hotel online looked much better than it was. The service was mediocre, and what they call a breakfast was laughable. We booked two nights, the person at the front desk did not have our reservation, we asked if we could cancel then, he said no because he did not want to call his manager for consideration. All in all the service was poor, the room was loud, the breakfast sucked, and the pool was small. The location on the other hand was very good.

Room Tip: Don't expect much from the pictures online, this hotel will disappoint.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are extremely sorry to learn that your experience at our hotel was not one of satisfaction. Please know we have a 24-hr prior to arrival cancellation policy and therefore we couldn't cancel your reservation. We will look into the reason for your missing reservation. I hope you will provide us with another opportunity to showcase our very best to you.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Portolla Inn
The area is nice & clean and the outside of the Inn is well kept. It's the type of place where the doors to rooms are exposed to the outside, not in a hallway.

When we checked in, the office manager was hard to understand not only because of a slight accent but because he was mumbling. I'm not really sure if I need to pay now or later for the extra day I'm staying. He really didn't say anything, but did remind us when breakfast was and to use the pool. The staff consists of mostly Indian men who are all men of few words.

The pool is literary next to the side walk & main road by itself in the parking lot. There is no privacy wall separating us from people walking by, only bars and some palm trees.

The rooms are nice & basic. The cleaning lady had just finished and the room smelled super chemically. I'm pregnant so the smell bothered me. We had to open the window and put the AC fan on blast to neutralize the smell. We kept the AC on the whole stay because the smell is too strong. They should switch to a more green product.

Breakfast consisted of really dry small muffins individually wrapped, granola bars, and a slices of white sandwich bread. You could toast the bread and put butter and/or jelly on it, if you want. Also, they provide styrofoam cups of orange juice they store in a fridge and hot potted coffee. The breakfast area isn't enough to sit 10 people so you gotta take it back to your room. Its also the same area where you check-in/out so its cramped & awkward. We were hoping for a more filling breakfast since it helps cut back on costs for vacations.

The wifi cuts in and out and doesn't have a strong signal at all. We couldn't use our ipad & psvita like we wanted to for hulu & Netflix.

The price I paid through Expedia was $60/night. It really is what you pay for is what you get. Overall, it is super basic and isn't too horible, amenities aren't great, definately a two star hotel. Its in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2012
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear JoanneCoon,
Thank you for providing us with such detailed feedback on your recent stay at our Buena Park Hotel. It is great to know that our clean, comfortable and safe accommodations were to your liking. With regards to the Wi-Fi issue you had, please know we recently upgraded our entire hotels Wi-Fi systems and typically there are minor glitches when a large overhaul of this magnitude takes place. We have resolved all the minor issues and we do apologize for failing to meet your expectations with regards to the Wi-Fi. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to the Anaheim/Buena Park area.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

The online pictures were a lot different than in-person. We were very disappointed. We booked for two nights but ended up only staying one. When we went to ask for a refund for the second night, we expected a battle, but instead they seemed to not be surprised - didn't even ask us for a reason why. Made us wonder if that was a regular occurrence.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Dear MayhemRanch,
It is unfortunate that we were not able to go above and beyond your satisfaction during your recent stay at our Buena Park Hotel. Please know we have a very strict policy for refunds and we have a less then 2% refund request during the entire year. We pride ourselves in offering great amenities, comfortable accommodations, and friendly service at a great value. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

i really enjoyed staying there, while we were visiting disneyland, great breakfast, very clean rooms, very friendly front desk, easy to find and fairly close to disneyland, 8 min by car.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear Lena I,
We are pleased to hear your wonderful remarks about our Buena Park Hotel. Our hotel is known to provide clean, comfortable and friendly accommodations at a great value! You are absolutely correct about our central location to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to the Anaheim/Buena Park area!